Q: Good external Script editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mrBullseye

Q: Good external Script editor

Post by mrBullseye » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 22:19

Anyone know of a good script editor with xml syntax highlighting and maybe even the x3 specific syntax?

Would be cool, and I did not find anything in the resources thread. :oops: But I did search. This searchfunction has me beat though.. it's oh so strange. :roll:

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 22:39

There isn't one.

Im pretty certain it against the CPA to make one to.

mrBullseye

Post by mrBullseye » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 01:39

Okay.. too bad. Hmm. But that can't be it. I mean, come on. having to be ingame to write all the scripts would suck bigtime. Might just be me though. Or is that the way all of you here on the board do it?

Let me rephrase. What program do all of y'all use when scripting. A search for xml editor netted me XMLspy, stylus studio XML editor, oxygenXML and alot more. How would any of these do for writing x3 scripts.

The ol' notepad aint quite made for this purpose I sadly noticed. Otherwise that'd be what I'd be using. Works for all my other coding purposes. Mel, c++, xhtml and so on. I just need to know the syntax. x3's scriptfiles though don't seem to be made with the proper format to fit with notepad. They look all garbled and weird like.

but if there really aint any external editor, I guess thats that. :cry:

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 02:06

mrBullseye wrote:Let me rephrase. What program do all of y'all use when scripting.
X3.exe :D :lol:

Their currently is NO xml editor capable of editing scripts for X3 that we are aware of...

Nuke has attempted work on one however... Firelance has definately side tracked him in that reguard however. I beleive he was the only one working on one as well...

Orka
xr

Post by Orka » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 08:26

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 09:02

Woot! Looks like working great :)
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

phonics
x3

Post by phonics » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 09:04

Sweet!!!! Now they just need to add in a find command for teh win!

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 14:06

phonics wrote:Sweet!!!! Now they just need to add in a find command for teh win!
I think you're asking for the [ctrl]+[space] shortcut :)

i've played around with it a little, it's exactly what i was looking for, even with a few errors/crashs, it's still an incredible work.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

R.Styles
x3tc

Post by R.Styles » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 15:05

albeit in russian.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 15:57

mrBullseye wrote:Let me rephrase. What program do all of y'all use when scripting. A search for xml editor netted me XMLspy, stylus studio XML editor, oxygenXML and alot more. How would any of these do for writing x3 scripts.
just so you know, X3 Scripts arn't written in XML they are complety different
xml is jsut the format the files are saved in, if you look in them, u'll notice they are just alot of data that doesn't really mean anything.

which makes xml editors pretty useless for the job. An external editor has to be made specifically for X3 scripts

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 16:44

It's exactly what the linked tool seems to do. It's not simply a XML editor, it looks like a real script editor (that modify the <codearray> part of the script).

Some little things missing in this beta version.

- Not possible to select a Race (Argon, boron, player, ...) for commands that need a race input or to assign a race to a variable. The written race name will be in red and script not compilable.

- Writting a new script from scratch can make the UI buggy.

- "null" shouldn't be written in white, too hard to see from command names.

The tool is in English but documentation in Russian. You need to have the MS Framework 2.0 and the fix from the linked topic to make it work correctly.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Orka
xr

Post by Orka » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 19:46

mrBullseye

Post by mrBullseye » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 03:32

Awesome.. 8)

/edit - I'll tell you. That readme is hilarious.. what is a gluck anyway? :D

<Snip from readme>
• support intellisense for the work with the introduction of the commands and parameters (in the stage of development and testing – they are possible Glucks in the work).
<endosnip>

R.Styles
x3tc

Post by R.Styles » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 09:21

Thanks for that, Even more iritated that i didn't learn german as school all thoose years ago.....

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 12:28

I'm a bit astonished that there's no more reaction than that ! Was i the only scripter that wasn't aware of this piece of software ? Or no one notice this topic because it's "yet another external SE topic" ? :mrgreen:

It really works, made a few modifications to my scripts, at lightspeed, with it. It's even able to copy/past blocks of code between scripts.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 12:56

Wow this looks cool i must give it a try

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 14:27

R.Styles wrote:Thanks for that, Even more iritated that i didn't learn german as school all thoose years ago.....
So am I. Actually, I became irritated almost while in school yet, and it was too late already.

But the babelfish is wonderful. I did wrote to German forum, in english. They screamed. Then I added babelfish-translations to be more polite. And they said I better stick to english, because that they at least can understand.

Btw, German "der Bug" translates to "nose", so X3 has many noses. :rofl:

@SK: not being a scripter I have assumed there already were tools around. Apparently not. I did have some *.xml open in Emacs once and saw all that "garbage". I'm not an IDE-person either. :roll:

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 21:11

i've just tried this editor and c+P a few simple text lines and this was what i got :|
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 22:39

And this seems correct ;)

The tool does't write in the <scriptarray>, but it wrote in the <codearray> so the result won't show in IE, but it should be readable/runnable in the script editor.

At least it works for me :p

Anarkis Gaming HQ

jhondidfool

Post by jhondidfool » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 22:50

definately, more work on tis app is needed, as we need it very badly.
I myself have some ideas i would put into script if i could script with my keyboard.
the ingame editor is cool to edit scripts you see bugged, and fix them on-the-go, but i can't imagine the hours of work put into making code with a menu-based inteface :P
this is a beggining, a very good begining, indeed

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”