[SCRIPT] Advanced Thruster Control V1.01 : Updated 08/05/2006

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Tritous
x3tc

Post by Tritous » Sun, 9. Dec 07, 11:47

back on topic.

Tried it out and one be using it for a while yet as it is somewhat jerky, but I agree there is no easy way to do this.

Floating point calculation CAN be recreated in an integer system, afterall in a processor its all descrete binary integers still. Whether you make it yourself, as someone else or look up one already around, a floating point library is very much an option.

I am entertained by the idea of charging into battle, prepping a 180 and just as I pass them, turning off the drive giving me a moment of slowing and reverseing before pelting off without any sideslip at all (would be good for a shuttle race, hint hint ;) )

Other alternatives... I thought it was possible to change the viewing points (like a cutscene does) but i don't know if that would help with aiming.

It may be an idea to make two varients of this, one is only capable of small angles (<25 degrees) and I think these would be smoother as you are not pushing it so hard. This would still be enough angle for a good strafe attack on a destroyer. I still cant think up many ways to help with a 180 except a floating point library
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 9. Dec 07, 15:30

well, the script already uses floating point calculations, but as it has to use them in interger form, u lose accuracay.

the jerkyness is a limit to what can be done in the scripting engine, as its very difficult to move the ship around.

small angles will work exactly the same, as it requires the same process.

basically, ships travel in the direction the ship is pointing, thats hardcoded in the game engine.

the script essentially overrides but its constantly battling against the game engine

Tritous
x3tc

Post by Tritous » Mon, 10. Dec 07, 02:32

well its coming out bit of a draw, the most boring result for a good battle.

By floating point libraries I mean there are ways to actually use full accuracy floating point calculations using integers. You cant have a fully normalised form, but you can still get a good mantissa-exponent system with as much accuracy as needed. It does mean the maths has to be approached from a polar form, but it would at least let you handle small numbers without penalty.
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

DevilDog_016
x3

Post by DevilDog_016 » Thu, 26. Mar 09, 09:38

Yeh, they had this in Tachyon, you could "slide" around while still maintaining your current direction. Fun thing to do, happy to finally see it in X3 :D
Yo dawg, I heard you like plasma, so we put HEPTs in yo HEPTs so you can blast foos while you blast foos!

Proud owner of an original copy of Tachyon The Fringe.

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 00:44

seems the download links are dead. :(

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 22. Feb 10, 13:46

The link should be working now

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”