Suggestion(s): Couple of sensible ideas.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ryuujin
x3

Suggestion(s): Couple of sensible ideas.

Post by Ryuujin » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 21:02

After chatting with Stonka for a bit, I've got a couple issues/suggestions I thought I could raise, maybe someone better a scripting could come up with something.

Supply/Demand fix:
First up to bat, the equipment dock's arn't unloading like they did in X2. A single mosquito factory will quickly overload all nearby equipment docks and be rendered unprofttable. Same presumably goes for other weapon classes.

The best solution would simply be to have a script that every now and then deletes part the inventory of the equipment dock.

Civilian Ships:
Is there any way we can remove the blueprints to the civilian ships, stop them spawning, or delete them easily? - It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure all those M5's buzzing about are a needless distraction/waste of CPU. Cutting them out would make lfie that bit more bearable on the memory front.

Sector "repairs":
Quite a few people've complained about sector's like Akeela's beacon. Maybe once the Galaxy editor is working with X3, we should get people to pip in their thoughts about sectors that got changed for the worse, and then make a custom universe fix that changes those sectors?

Anyway, that's my contructive 2 cents. Not saying anyone has to take 'em but, but those ideas mgiht be worth expanding on.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 21:50

The fix to number 2 is easy.

X3 has a listing of the 'genetic makeup' of the ships in the universe.

It's called jobs.pck. (listing of how many ships and behavior for each type of ship job)

unpack this file and search for the lines with the comments 'civillian ships'

The number just after this comment is a measure of how many of these ships will exist in the universe. (at game creation, and whther or not to respawn them if they get destroyed)

Lower that number and pack the new file up into a mod.

Then, either start a new game, or fly around and kill all the civ ships :)

You can alter the numbers and behaviors of almost every type of ship in X2 very easily with this new file.

(Who said modding X3 wsan't light years ahead of X2?) ;)
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 6. Nov 05, 22:03

Here's a listing of the types of things that can be controlled with the jobs.txt file:
  • JobID
    Comment
    Quota
    Max. Quota per Sector
    Function
    Configscript
    Job Text ID
    Unique Shipname
    Overriden NameID (Voice)
    Show Race Name
    Show Corpsname
    Show Shiptypename
    Show Variationname
    GroupID (Sheet)
    Shopping Basket (sheet)
    Jump Range
    Idle Rate
    Spawn Time
    Ship subtype
    M1
    M2
    M3
    M4
    M5
    M6
    TP
    TS
    TL
    Argon
    Boron
    Split
    Paranid
    Teladi
    Xenon
    Pirate
    Khaak
    Goner
    VAR 0 Basic
    VAR 1 Vanguard
    VAR 2 Sentinel
    VAR 3 Raider
    VAR 4 Hauler
    VAR 5 Miner
    VAR 6 Super Freighter
    VAR 7 Tanker
    VAR 8 Tug
    VAR 9 Luxury Cruiser
    VAR 10 Slave Transport
    VAR 11 Military Transport
    VAR 12 XL
    VAR 13 Extended
    VAR 14 Tanker2
    VAR 15 Superfreighter2
    Hue Modifier
    Saturation Modifier
    Chance Shiptyperace is Rand
    Is Owner sector
    Is Core
    Has Yard
    Has owner stations
    Is not enemy sector
    Is Border
    invers
    Sector X
    Sector Y
    Create in Shipyard
    Create in Gate
    Create Inside Sector
    Create outside Sector
    Create NULL
    Chance Ship is Docked
    Freight ext.
    Speed & Steering ext.
    Other expansions
    Rot Accel Limit
    Argon
    Boron
    Split
    Paranid
    Teladi
    Xenon
    Khaak
    Goner
    Is Pirate
    Shield
    Laser
    Use Drones
    Not Use IRE
    Not Use PAC
    Not Use HEPT
    Not Use PPC
    Not Use KE
    Use Mass driver
    Use PSG (wide area)
    Use Ion Disruptor
    Use Flak
    Use IH
    Use Mining
    Use Tug
    Use Repairlaser
    Select weapons
    Trade skill
    Agression
    Morale
    Fight skill
    NPC ID
    Is Invincible
    IsHiddenPirat
    DestoryOOS
    Rebuild Select New Sector
    Fly with AVRSPEED
    Militär
    Trader
    Civilist
Quota controls the number. You guys can play around with the rest of them to figure them out. Note that this listing may not correspond to the file 1:1, there's still a lot of trial and error work to be done. I don't have all the answers, only pieces of them.
Cheers.

ejsaunders
x3

Post by ejsaunders » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:47

Buri, I don't suppose you can say which way I should edit two of the variables please?

I'm interested in the Idle Rate and Spawn Time - should they be lower or higher? As in, if I set the idle rate from say 10 to 5 will it halve the time the ship does nothing or will it increase the idle time? Similarly, does the 90 spawn time for most of the ships mean that they take 90 (seconds?) to respawn/spawn. So, if I want them to spawn sooner, should I decrease this or increase this figure?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 01:16

Sorry, no idea.
I didn't create this file.
My best advice would be to play around with the values and see what happens.
Cheers.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 05:14

where is the jobs.pck file located and how do you unpack it? Also anyone figure out how to change the variables as in what numbers to put to increase spawn rate of pirates, idle time etc.? Do you lower the number or higher or what?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 16:51

Also how is it packed up into a mod? Sorry if this is shown somewhere else, I haven't seen it.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 16:54

Look into my Syndicate mod for more info on how the jobs get integrated into galaxies. I included all of my source files in the download, and you should be able to figure it all out that way.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 17:00

hey nuke, well I have never tried doing any modding before in x2 so I have no clue how to do anything. I was reading in the x2 scripting forum you need a tool called x2tool to extract files from the dat files in X2, but can I use the same tool to extract the jobs.pck file from x3 or do I need another tool? I briefly looked through your jobs.syndicate.txt file but most of it I dont really get, I just want to change the spawning of enemy vessels and their idle times.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 17:06

BlackRain wrote:hey nuke, well I have never tried doing any modding before in x2 so I have no clue how to do anything. I was reading in the x2 scripting forum you need a tool called x2tool to extract files from the dat files in X2, but can I use the same tool to extract the jobs.pck file from x3 or do I need another tool? I briefly looked through your jobs.syndicate.txt file but most of it I dont really get, I just want to change the spawning of enemy vessels and their idle times.
Yes, the x2tool should extract any .pck, .pbd, or such just fine. As for editing the jobs file, I can't really help you much, as I couldn't really figure out all too much on my own either. THhe most I figured out is that I could'nt really do what I wanted with it anyways, since the Jobs file will only allow the universe to create ships belonging to the main races (Argon, Boron, Split, Paranid, Teladi, Kha'ak, Xenon, and Goner) while I wanted to be able to make jobs for the custom races (Terran, Yaki, Syndicate, etc).

So I just copied over the default Jobs file for use in my mod, then wrote my own basic 'jobs' script for my mod in order to handle basic sector patrols for the Syndicate and Terrans.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 18:10

sorry to bug ya again but what is the command to extract the file? I tried the command it says in the x2 thread but that didnt work

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 18:36

BlackRain wrote:sorry to bug ya again but what is the command to extract the file? I tried the command it says in the x2 thread but that didnt work
I don't actually know. I personally use X2Modder for all of my de/recompressing needs, as well as for extracting and packing cat/dat files.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 18:37

I actually figured it out, now I am going to look at the jobs.pck file and see what I can figure out

-edit ok im looking at the jobs.txt file I created and I see a lot of numbers, so um how do i know which to change?

ejsaunders
x3

Post by ejsaunders » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 14:42

I posted my edited Jobs file in another thread if anyone wants to use it. It increases the Khaak and pirates in the universe, by sector, jump rate and reduces some of the 'fluff (civilian, don't do much) ships'.

I would advise against increasing or decreasing the spawn time particularly if you increase the amount of ships and the jump level, otherwise you'll be sucking rocket sanwich every few minutes from a big invasion force.

Don't edit the special pirates tho, otherwise you'll have loads of pirates in the plot storyline missions.

Puruco
x3

Post by Puruco » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 17:02

ejsaunders wrote:I posted my edited Jobs file in another thread if anyone wants to use it. It increases the Khaak and pirates in the universe, by sector, jump rate and reduces some of the 'fluff (civilian, don't do much) ships'.

I would advise against increasing or decreasing the spawn time particularly if you increase the amount of ships and the jump level, otherwise you'll be sucking rocket sanwich every few minutes from a big invasion force.

Don't edit the special pirates tho, otherwise you'll have loads of pirates in the plot storyline missions.
Hi ej: Where I can get your thread?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”