X3 Guide to configuring your weapons

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pixel
x3tc

X3 Guide to configuring your weapons

Post by pixel » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 00:13

Not going to spoiler this, as it does not affect the plot, and is in effect an unofficial addendum to the manual.

"So, matey, how the hell do you get you weapons loadout changed so quickly in the middle of a split fest?"

"What, you're saying I like Split? Prepare to be challenged to a drink of a yard of space fuel you space monkey!!"

"errrr, no I didn't mean......oh nevermind, bring it on bubba!!!"

----------------

"ok, so...hic!..you want to be able to change your weapon load out quickly? hic! right? like in case you mother in law comes to visit?!

"he he, yeah, like if I am attacking a small scout...hic!.. son of a B from behind I want to take him out, and I mean out baby, YEAH!!! All weapons blazing, dude!!! But if I am fighting a swarm of scout ships, I need rapid fire of smaller guns, so my energy dont run out so quick. Godammit!!"

"lol, you spilt your drink with all that gesticulating, pwned, down this in one and I'll tell you, you monkey!!....... yeah, ok. What you need to do is this:

If you have more than one weapon you can decide which weapons you want to fire at any time.

Lets say for example you have 4 beta PACs.

These can be loaded into 4 of your weapon slots

By default all will fire, yo get lots of hits, but energy depletes v quick.

So if you want just 2 to fire..........

To the left of each weapon icon you will see 4 bars. Hover your mouse over the bars, they will get bigger. each bar represents slots 1 to 4, from left to right.

By clicking on a bar it will become highlighted, or if it is already highlighted it will become blank.

So, if you have your 4 PACs and the first bar (i.e. bar 1) on each is highlighted, when you press 1 in game then weapon loadout 1 will be active and all four will fire.

If you highlight the second bars of the first and third weapon slots... and then press 2, only those 2 weapons will fire after you press 2 to select weapons loadout 2.

I am too drunk too continue, space monkey, but I hope this helps you"

"omg, you are leet, that was almost coherent and you have drunk 2 litres of Big Helga's Deadly Rocket Armageddon Fuel!! omg, thank you, How can I repay you?!"

"Buy me a poppadum and go away"

"But no seriously I want to have your babies!"

"Are you female? Never could tell with you Borons"

Spoiler
Show
CENSORED!!!
Last edited by pixel on Sat, 29. Oct 05, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 01:09

ok, this is a very sad bump, but seriously, is no one interested or am I just stating the obvious :?:

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Middenface

Post by Middenface » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 01:29

This guy should have written the manual :lol:

Was wondering how you did that - thanks :D

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 01:39

Middenface wrote:This guy should have written the manual :lol:

Was wondering how you did that - thanks :D
hth :D thanks for that :) :wink:

Witchy
x4

Post by Witchy » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 11:06

Well, you helped me out.

Thank you and have a beer.

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 11:41

I figured that out by myself after a while, but I'm still puzzled about that button at the left-bottom corner from the weapon icons that toggles between - + and *. What does it do :gruebel:

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 11:52

xalien wrote:I figured that out by myself after a while, but I'm still puzzled about that button at the left-bottom corner from the weapon icons that toggles between - + and *. What does it do :gruebel:
Isn't that the weapon mode ? - nothing, + gives you an aiming lead (for targets flying in the same direction all the time at the same speed, but you'll find out soon enough how it only works in some situations) and * being a sort of auto-aim, from what I've seen, turrets only. Aim roughly in the right direction, and the turret will automatically compensate to hit. Can be very effective at times.

And yeah, good topic Pixel. Took me a while to figure it out exactly (but I did manage).

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 12:51

X-Warrior B AS wrote:
xalien wrote:I figured that out by myself after a while, but I'm still puzzled about that button at the left-bottom corner from the weapon icons that toggles between - + and *. What does it do :gruebel:
Isn't that the weapon mode ? - nothing, + gives you an aiming lead (for targets flying in the same direction all the time at the same speed, but you'll find out soon enough how it only works in some situations) and * being a sort of auto-aim, from what I've seen, turrets only. Aim roughly in the right direction, and the turret will automatically compensate to hit. Can be very effective at times.
Ahhh, that makes a perfect sense. I was using "K" to switch modes and this button is so small that my eyes never caught it's change.

After having quite a few skirmishes I'm pretty sure that autoaim work's for the main guns too, just like in X2.

TinkerBell
x3tc

Post by TinkerBell » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 12:57

The manual says you must be docked to change weapon configurations, but you must be in space from what I've seen

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 13:56

Tinkerbell wrote:The manual says you must be docked to change weapon configurations, but you must be in space from what I've seen
I seem to remember a review somewhere in which it was stated that weapons could only be installed at stations and you could only change which ones would fire, but that no longer seems to be the case. Pity, I rather liked the idea that you had to have a mechanic install a gun, but had a switch to turn it on and off!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 18:12

glad to be of service me mateys, aaarrgghhh! :D :pirat:

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 10:04

Many thanks for that great how-to..

Printed it out and will look at it as soon as my game arrives :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

DaphydTheBard
x3

Post by DaphydTheBard » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 18:02

Very useful.

I couldn't figure out how the weapon config worked - but now I know!

Cheers! :lol:

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 2. Nov 05, 20:55

DaphydTheBard wrote:Very useful.

I couldn't figure out how the weapon config worked - but now I know!

Cheers! :lol:
hth :D

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Mon, 14. Nov 05, 13:16

Thanks for this! Just what I was looking for, and I actually found it on the search page (20 most popular under 'Weapons').

I saw in the manual as well that grouping weapons could only be done while docked, but apparently it's the opposite.

Cheers!
ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz
OCZ 2048MB Dual Channel Platinum Edition RAM
WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
Radeon X1900XTX 512MB PCIe 16x
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li Miditower PC6070BSCAND w/Hiper R580W PSU
Win XP Pro SP2 w/MS dual-core CPU hotfix

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Mon, 14. Nov 05, 21:06

X-it wrote:Thanks for this! Just what I was looking for, and I actually found it on the search page (20 most popular under 'Weapons').

I saw in the manual as well that grouping weapons could only be done while docked, but apparently it's the opposite.

Cheers!
:) you can also change your weapons whilst undocked (i.e. move them about/replace them with others)

Michaeannon
x3

Re: X3 Guide to configuring your weapons

Post by Michaeannon » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 09:17

pixel wrote:To the left of each weapon icon you will see 4 bars. Hover your mouse over the bars, they will get bigger. each bar represents slots 1 to 4, from left to right.
Okay, I'm obviously being stupid here. Tried this 12 times last night, but I can't find the screen that shows the weapons like this - the one on page 20. How do I get there? In commands of one syllable (or less) please...

Michaeannon
x3

Post by Michaeannon » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 09:52

Afterthought: Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do. I've got a Mercury with a rear turret, a BIRE and a mass driver. I want to have one on "1" and the other on "2".

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 10:04

Whats that symbol under the auto aim button? Its a green downward pointing arrow with a gray line underneath it. :?:

jlfrank68
x3

Post by jlfrank68 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 11:15

You can select which weapons fire for each of the 4 load outs in space as has been mentioned earlier in this tread by Pixel (Nice work explaining it, much better thant the manual :wink: ).

As far as changing lasers in stations this only refers to which weapns pylon the laser is mounted on e.g inner or outer. So if you had an Argon Buster you could have your AIRE's on the outer pylons APAC's on the inner pylons and BPAC's under the cockpit. Or whatever setup you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”