X universe MMO?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

UnderLord
x3tc

X universe MMO?

Post by UnderLord » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:14

I think it'd be sweet if the makers of the X universe made a MMO, of course they'd have to make a bigger galaxy but other then that, it'd be sweet....

What do you guys think?

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:16

we all thinks its great(all the voices in my head anyways), however, its 20 years away at current rate of progress. :cry:
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:20

A MMO has always been on the cards. Egosoft went as far as setting up a little teaser website a long long time ago. There is also an XOL ideas section in the ideas forum.

We have heared nothing offical though.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

UnderLord
x3tc

Post by UnderLord » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:28

what a shame, the guy that makes Universal combat, battlecruiser series is almost done with his MMO it looks very nice...but i think a X universe MMO would rockz the big one111111, plus you can own stations in the X universe, i dunno bout the UC universe though......

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:54

UnderLord wrote:what a shame, the guy that makes Universal combat, battlecruiser series is almost done with his MMO it looks very nice...but i think a X universe MMO would rockz the big one111111, plus you can own stations in the X universe, i dunno bout the UC universe though......
It would rock if gameplay doesnt suffer...
If not one big MMO server, but maybe a few of the (constantly) running multiplayer servers...

By the way, I always wondered where are the online-universe.com screenshots from? Are they from actual game or something that was started and never finished? Just by comparing screenshots - it looks like X2...
Last edited by fiksal on Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

TheBypasser
x3

Post by TheBypasser » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 17:55

I said it many-many-many times, but still I'll even repeat that again! MMOs t3h sux!! I like X cus of an opportunity to self-promote from a generic n00b into somebody who can easyly control the X-Universe.. Also cus of the fact I'm totally free - I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, even restart if I'd like to - and I'm never restricted or forced by others.. And MMO will remove all that freedom, also how many MMOs do you know? LOTS! How many single-player "freedom" spacesims do you know? Elite, Privateer, Freelancer, DarkStar One and X - AND THAT'S ALL! And how many full-scale "freedom" spacesims, with complex building and stuff do you know? ONLY X!
And some guys want to turn X into MMO - that's just plain lame!
Attach the nails and electrodes!

MeGrand
x3

Post by MeGrand » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 18:14

I should imagine one of the biggest problems for an X-Online would be how to avoid making it into another eve online - and that would be daft

What could differenchate the two?

Pilotable ships - lag issues

Owned stations - either they'd have to be rarer or the universe MUCH bigger or we'd all end up crowded

Tradeing - though how to avoid too much pirating?

any others?
All the right letters, just not nesacarily in the right otder

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 18:36

MeGrand wrote: any others?
Lawlessness - as the police/military forces are laughable

What to do with all the player ship / player owned stations / UTs / other ships when player logs out?
Make them disappear - will look wierd. Make them stay - you may log in and see all your fleet is gone.

With lots of people playing - Xenon (and other enemies) would be the victims rather than aggressors - at the current difficulty and numbers.

And how about the framerate?:)

Oh yeah, I forgot - SETA. Certainly won't work in MMO. May work in limited multiplayer... but I guess only when all players engage it...

UnderLord
x3tc

Post by UnderLord » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 18:55

fiksal wrote:
MeGrand wrote: any others?
Lawlessness - as the police/military forces are laughable

What to do with all the player ship / player owned stations / UTs / other ships when player logs out?
Make them disappear - will look wierd. Make them stay - you may log in and see all your fleet is gone.

With lots of people playing - Xenon (and other enemies) would be the victims rather than aggressors - at the current difficulty and numbers.

And how about the framerate?:)

Oh yeah, I forgot - SETA. Certainly won't work in MMO. May work in limited multiplayer... but I guess only when all players engage it...

I do believe seta wouldnt exist in the MMO form as doing that would just be a retarded thing to do.

As for when a player logs out hope you have a safe place to keep your fleet the player ship should disappear as his fleet patrols/stays in one area that the player desinates as a safe place till he returns if everything you worked for is gone when you log back in then, you pissed someone off.....

I have played many upon many space sims the X series is not the best i'v played graphicaly it is the best but in other area's it lacks thats where other space sims come into play liek the Universal Combat game, seemlessly land on planets no loading screens nothing and vice versa for take off build bases on the planet and wipe out entire planets plus the universe is freaking insanely huge in that game =P

But it has nothing on the X3 graphics and you cannot own space stations but where x3 lacks in one thing it makes up in another. But we cannot expect any game to have everything we want no development company will take the time to do that. But hey....

I still think a X universe MMO would rock....

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 19:04

UnderLord wrote: I do believe seta wouldnt exist in the MMO form as doing that would just be a retarded thing to do.

As for when a player logs out hope you have a safe place to keep your fleet the player ship should disappear as his fleet patrols/stays in one area that the player desinates as a safe place till he returns if everything you worked for is gone when you log back in then, you pissed someone off.....
I never liked to say that certain game can not ever do [blank], because all it needs is a bit more thought, - that's all.

Yep, SETA wouldnt be there, but perhaps gates will get spaced out closer and sectors will become oval. If X incorporates some of the intertia then you could travel faster over period of time - just keep on accelerating... so long traveling time can be slowed this way.

Yep, I agree your ships shouldnt dissappear, maybe only perhaps those that are docked at Trading Stations (for example).
For the "safe areas" to work - AI needs to be smarter, and Core sectors (for example) need to be more protected... So new players can keep their ships in there, whereas more protected fleet can stay outside of the Core...

And as far as planets go - if you can land of them, you at least should be able to interact with them. Have rockets run there and back - trading goods, and what not.

ShadowDragon8685
x4

Post by ShadowDragon8685 » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 19:38

X Online would have to distinguish itself radically from EvE. If I wanted to play EvE, I would go back to EvE, as I still (in theory, anyway) have friends there that are willing to take me back if I want to play it again.

Requirement 1: Pilotable ships. Oh god yes, pilotable ships. That is what pissed me off most about EvE, the manual control was a laughing matter.

Requirement 2: No EXP, no stats. Make a Massively Multiplayer Online X Universe, not another Everquest in Space. Make it all reflexes and trigger pulls.

Requirement 3: No non-consentual PvP. And I don't mean "Those who don't want PvP can stay where it's safe and warm and they can't get any profit or play with the big toys because you have to risk your neck for those." That's just how you piss people off. Is it realistic? No. But it will keep the important thing - the players happy.

Of course, that would be far more difficult in a space sim than an MMO. An MMO is easy, just tell the player you're not allowed to target them, and make all players invunerable to damage from player sources. In a space sim, not so much.

So how do you solve it? Simple, the same way you solve lag issues.

Instancing. Say you want to go to Argon Prime. So you go - but won't Argon Prime be filled to the gills of noobies? Yes, and no. You divvy up a sector into lots of tiny little sectors, each with no more than, say, 20 players at a time. Anyone else who tries to enter gets diverted to another sector.

The more remote areas of space, naturally, are simply instanced for groups of people. Those who want to PvP can declare it, and if the other side wants a barney, they go to the same place, are sent to the same instance, and get to rumble.

And how do you prevent PvP within argon prime and such? Easy: weapon systems refuse to operate in those areas.

It's a start. But if Egosoft's serious about making an MMO, they need to do two things.

1) Get serious about adressing gameplay issues.
2) Work out what's already been done, find out how to make XOL unique and enjoyable at the same time.

FlyingElvis
x4

Post by FlyingElvis » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 19:44

UnderLord wrote:what a shame, the guy that makes Universal combat, battlecruiser series is almost done with his MMO it looks very nice...but i think a X universe MMO would rockz the big one111111, plus you can own stations in the X universe, i dunno bout the UC universe though......
Smart is no where near ready to release an MMO.

ShadowDragon8685
x4

Post by ShadowDragon8685 » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 19:49

FlyingElvis wrote:

And if the universe has any love of gamers at all, he never will be.

UnderLord
x3tc

Post by UnderLord » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 20:15

FlyingElvis wrote:
Maybe you should read the forums there more often he predicts his MMO coming out Q1/07.

He says by september there will be a small demo out.

UnderLord
x3tc

Post by UnderLord » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 20:16

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
FlyingElvis wrote:

And if the universe has any love of gamers at all, he never will be.
Who said it does?

ShadowDragon8685
x4

Post by ShadowDragon8685 » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 22:56

UnderLord wrote:
FlyingElvis wrote:
Maybe you should read the forums there more often he predicts his MMO coming out Q1/07.

He says by september there will be a small demo out.
He also announced Battlecruiser 3000 AD somethin like seven years before it came out.

Vapor, mate.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 23:18

lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”