X2 and X3 on Steam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 12:27

TaGert wrote:I've used steam from the day it was released. I was skeptical to this way of releasing it at first. Having manualy updated cs since the first betas. Now I would not have had it any other way.
Same here. I've used it since the day of release with HL1 and CS, etc. Back when they had that initial beta of Friends IM thing (its taken them until now to get that going again lol). I have no real problems with steam. I've several times now purchased games through steam instead of retail, because I got more doing it that way (like the HL2 packages when the game was first released).

I just want to make sure before I shell out money that:
a) this steam release has NO starforce
b) all official game patches will work with the steam version
c) all game mods will work with the steam version

Some of those can be mitigated, for instance:
b) I dont mind if they have to release special patches for steam, as long as they do it QUICKLY after retail patch is done. If they took advantage of steam's versitility for the game updates, it could be great, very easy way for gamers to keep the game up to date.

Fallingwater

Post by Fallingwater » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 13:31

I don't much like Steam, but I sure like it better than Starforce.

I just hope Steam-released versions of X3 will be starforce-free.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 13:39

Hi,

Steam does not use Starforce, they have their own protection system.

After installation the game should be almost identical to an up to date DVD installed version. So future patches will work and will also be available via Steam.

I am currently downloading my own copy via Steam at the moment to try it all out ;)

-Bernd

Kvalyr
x4

Post by Kvalyr » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 15:37

I think it's fantastic news, I couldn't believe it when it showed up in "Steam Update News" today.
It'll really give X2 and X3 the greater exposure they deserve and hopefully be good all-round for both Egosoft and Valve, two of the few companies in the undustry who I really respect.

Will there be any option for those of us who have bought the retail version on DVD to register it on Steam, such that we could download the steam version if our DVD were to be damaged or otherwise rendered unplayable?
I'm guessing 'no', since the DVDs were published by Enlight & DeepSilver, but it'd be really nice if we could.
The fear of a damaged DVD has plagued many users since release and it'd be a great way of assauging the fears of loyal, paying customers :D

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 15:46

Bernd wrote:Hi,

Steam does not use Starforce, they have their own protection system.

After installation the game should be almost identical to an up to date DVD installed version. So future patches will work and will also be available via Steam.

I am currently downloading my own copy via Steam at the moment to try it all out ;)

-Bernd
Well thats a rare appearence :lol:

At least we have the confirmation :)

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 15:47

no there is no possibility to give DVD owners Steam access (for free or cheaper), but as I have said before, we will release a patch without Starforce protection later this year.

-Bernd

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 15:55

Bernd wrote:but as I have said before, we will release a patch without Starforce protection later this year.

-Bernd
o rly? sweet, nice to know theres another patch somewhere :wink:

EKS
x3tc

Post by EKS » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 15:59

This is great news, i cant tell you how happy i got when reading this ( I actualy bought the game again :) ).
Now i can happely wait for a expantion for X3, as the chances that its gonna be released without starforce is good. Keep up the good work, and its great to see you guys listening to the community :)

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 16:39

Bernd wrote:no there is no possibility to give DVD owners Steam access (for free or cheaper), but as I have said before, we will release a patch without Starforce protection later this year.

-Bernd
ohh Bernd you are full of good news :D

Cant wait for that.......i am so lazy to run my game beacuse it checks the CD :rofl: :rofl:

AeolusStorm

Post by AeolusStorm » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 17:05

I have bought my Copy of X³ today on Steam and wanted to install the Cockpit Mod - but I can`t download it because i have to register my Game...
Is there any possibility to get an registration key on Steam?

Kvalyr
x4

Post by Kvalyr » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 17:13

no there is no possibility to give DVD owners Steam access (for free or cheaper), but as I have said before, we will release a patch without Starforce protection later this year.

-Bernd
I thought as much, it's understandable given that Valve, DeepSilver and Enlight are seperate entities.

I didn't know it had been confirmed that the non-Starforce patch would be released for X3, but it's excellent news. Thanks Bernd :D

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 17:46

Bernd wrote:no there is no possibility to give DVD owners Steam access (for free or cheaper), but as I have said before, we will release a patch without Starforce protection later this year.

-Bernd
best news i heard all day

and if you release future games on steam please also sell the game packed on a dvd like half life 2 andso
beacause there are still people like me that have a limet on there internet conection and if i download to games via steam i don't have much left for normal surfing
just a thought

Khasch

Post by Khasch » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 19:06

How do I register the game to download mods, manuals ect. if I downloaded it of Steam? Where do I get the registration code?

Rhl
x3

Post by Rhl » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 19:18

No idea, Khasch.

That is great news about the non-Starforce patch, though. The sooner games get rid of Starforce, the better. I'm afraid to install X3 and Prince of Persia: T2T because of Starforce and the BS it causes. Thanks Egosoft for listening to your customers and getting rid of Crapforce.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 19:22

There is currently no information avalaible on registering the Steam version of the game. As soon as there is it will be posted.

Now would people please get off the subject of Starforce. There have been more than enough reminders about this recently.

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 20:36

I wished registration of DVD copy on steam would be possible :-/ I have entire HalfLife 1+2 series via Steam and don't worry about any CD/DVDs anymore - I like it.

BTW, Steam's nature (and weakness) is, that all updates will be downloaded on demand and there is no way of downgrading once updated... Hope that wouldn't cause any problem for users "Patch xyz isn't working, I play with old Version".

Right now I have exact that problem with HL2:Eps1, first release was stable, but after few patches, the game is keep crashing withing seconds until today.

Confirmation101
x3

Post by Confirmation101 » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 22:07

Whats funny is I bought a copy of X3 from ebay for my friend who got into it because of me... then the next morning I open up Steam to play some DOD:S and wabaam!!!...

Iced_Eagle

Post by Iced_Eagle » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 22:13

Will there be a registration code so we can register the game from Steam on the forum? I want to make sure that I get access to the updated manual...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 22:18

CBJ, only four posts back, wrote:There is currently no information avalaible on registering the Steam version of the game. As soon as there is it will be posted.

Now would people please get off the subject of Starforce. There have been more than enough reminders about this recently.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 22. Jul 06, 22:19

Why not read CBJ's post, three above yours?
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”