Announcing the X-Universe: Scripts and Mods Bug Tracker (OPEN)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Anticept
x4

Announcing the X-Universe: Scripts and Mods Bug Tracker (OPEN)

Post by Anticept » Tue, 6. Jun 06, 06:17

The bugtracker is open! Remember, NO REGISTRATION NECESSARY!

http://www.anticeptsworld.net/other/xmodtracker/

I am sure you all know, it is a very difficult way to view, report, and manage bugs via a forum. All the pages, off topic bs, etc. make it really hard to get other user's input on your scripts and mods, and allow other devs to contribute since no one likes to read through a lot of pages.

Well, I want to at least try to make it easier. I have put up a bug tracker using mantis, and if a Dev wants to use it, just Private message me and you will be set up as a manager so you can create and manage projects. (The project must be complex, constantly maintained, and well established, simple scripts will not be accepted as projects. Well established means that it is a script that might have 5+ forum pages, or something similar) You will also be able to set permissions for registered users in your particular project, say if you have other developers helping you.

Registration is NOT required to view or post bugs. I know how much we all hate having to register, especially for doing something such as a bug report. In fact, when it is finally opened for business, the first thing you will see when you visit the bug tracker, is that you are ALREADY logged in as an anonymous user.

Remember, usage of the bug tracker is up to the script/mod makers. In fact, it is expected that the forums will still be used along with the bugtracker.

The purpose of the bug tracker is:
1 ) To be able to report bugs in a clean and easy to use organized site, without having to look through 25 pages trying to see if it was already solved, or if a workaround is posted.
2 ) Eliminate all of the non-contribution or non-development talk so that it will be easy to manage bugs. (All non dev talk will probably be used on the forums)
3 ) To show the current state of bugs (new, confirmed, fixed, unfixable, etc)
4 ) To show the priority of the bug or feature (the devs set this variable, it is to represent where it is on the priority list for fixing or implementing)
5 ) Severity of the bug, ranging from feature or tweak, to crash and block.
6 ) Keep a history of bugs, and allow users to re-open bug reports if they resurface again.
7 ) Allow project managers to close and remove bugs that turn out to be the user's fault. Here in the forums, it is a pain (to me at least) to see a bug report, and then 10 posts later, it turns out to be a hoax or user-fault.
8 ) Allow contribution of ideas and code to be more easily maintained, and keep a history of it as well. Files may be posted too, so that the devs can release an alpha or beta version if there is a critical bug. As a matter of fact, Serial Kicked recieved a contribution from Red Spot already to deal with a bug in his Yaki Armada.
9 ) To establish what versions of the scripts or mods the bugs are happening in.
10 ) Keep track of feature requests as well, and allow devs to report the progress on the request.
11 ) Be able to link bug reports together if they are similar or related.

Also, I know there is a bug tracker for the L5 and L6 devs, but unfortunatly, some of us who find a bug, can't put it there, because we are not L5 and L6 devs :P.

The bug tracker will support the other languages. Unfortunatly, I am uni-lingual, so if someone else can help spread the word, please do! And, it will be for both X3 and X2 scripting and modding :).

Also, comments from anyone are invited. FYI: I am using mantis because it is the only free bug tracker that I could find that provided all of the necessary features. Bugzilla and Flyspray were very close to being used, but both of them were missing a couple features that were needed.

The bugtracker is open! Remember, NO REGISTRATION NECESSARY!

http://www.anticeptsworld.net/other/xmodtracker/
Last edited by Anticept on Thu, 8. Jun 06, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
Signature.

Anticept
x4

Post by Anticept » Thu, 8. Jun 06, 19:32

Bugtracker is open ahead of schedule.
Signature.

Anticept
x4

Post by Anticept » Fri, 9. Jun 06, 06:53

For those devs still doubtful about using it, check these two topics out:

http://www.anticeptsworld.net/other/xmo ... w.php?id=7

http://www.anticeptsworld.net/other/xmo ... .php?id=14

In the notes section, you can see Red Spot is helping out some of our other friendly devs :).

Also, I am in need of an image to replace the ugly mantis bugtracker at the top.
Signature.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 9. Jun 06, 10:25

I'm using it to write the 1.0 of Yaki Armada (and i'll use it for all other plugins in a few weeks), all progress and dev builds can be found there.

Thank you (again) for this bugtracker :)
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Fri, 9. Jun 06, 11:41

This bugtracker really is excellent!

Not only have I got some VERY useful feedback from RedSpot (cheers RS) which I wasn't expecting, but it's also so handy to have all the issues and ideas located in an easy to use (and open for anyone to report issues to) bugtracker.

I am developing the sector takeover mod in partnership with DesertEagle and this tool is really going to help divide the work up and avoid duplication of effort.

I highly reccommend it. Good work Anticept! And yeah replace that ugly image soon please. :D
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

Anticept
x4

Post by Anticept » Sun, 18. Jun 06, 22:48

Sorry I had been away on business. Just wanted to post another update on the mod Tracker.

http://www.anticeptsworld.net/other/xmo ... g_page.php

Seems Serial Kicked, Cycrow, Nirwin, DesertEagle, and soon to be Stevio, are finding it quite a nice tool (as Nirwin and Serial Kicked commented above)
Signature.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 12:11

@moderators:
I really hope you don't view this as thread necro, I know it's been nearly a year since the last post on this thread, but it's all still relevant, and it is quite likely anticept will be "watching" this thread and hence get an e-mail bout it. Sorry, I don't make a habit of this.

@anticept
The mod/script bug tracker appears to be down today, I haven't looked at it in a few days so not sure exactly when it went down.
Any chance of getting it back up?

Thanks.
Nirwin
------

Squelch
x2

Post by Squelch » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 16:47

I've only just found this thread.

I was wishing for such a thing for exactly all of the reasons it was created. Perhaps it has been left to die because it is offsite, I hope not, and perhaps it being down is just a technical glitch.

Maybe ES could implement such a system into the forum. I've spent more time reading about issues I have with both vanilla and third party scripts than I do playing. Most of this time is spent reading through pages of OT stuff or sifting through search results for something vaguely relevent.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Sun, 8. Apr 07, 12:33

Hello everyone, I reported the problem to Anticept, and he has fixed the problem so the site is now back up, and all data has been restored.

He has also given me admin rights, so I can help people with accounts etc, if you need it.
Nirwin
------

Anticept
x4

Post by Anticept » Fri, 21. Sep 07, 08:19

If anyone else wants to help run the bug tracker, please let me know.
Signature.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”