A momentary lapse of reason -ch3 comp (01Jun)

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Mercenary
x3tc

A momentary lapse of reason -ch3 comp (01Jun)

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 26. May 06, 10:22

completed below =======

Chapter 3

The Mamba slid through the void undisturbed and un-scanned. Lumar kept a close watch on the sector scanner littered with freight transporters and civilian craft, looking for any tell tale signs of discrete interception. He scanned through the numerous ship registrations and frowned, for him there were too many freelance privateers, he had little concern for the heavily armed freighters as he could out-manoeuvre and outrun them in a heartbeat, but the numerous and varied fighters posed a different dilemma. He liked the old days where the ships cruising the space lanes were mainly owned by big corporations and easy to identify. Now the apparent boom in freelancers meant telling a civilian from a bounty hunter was virtually impossible. All he could do was rely on his senses to spot suspicious behaviour, this he considered would be a long trip.

“You have an incoming message.”

“Who from?”

“Caller identified as Korecmancketras from Ray-Tech Security Headquarters.”

“On screen.”

The holo-image appeared on the projector pad, “May his holiness the Pontifex give blessing and preserve you.”

“News travels fast. It’s good to see you and I hope the Pontifex has blessed your new enterprise.”

“Indeed he has. Now to the purpose of my calling you, I have been asked to pass on some information that you will be interested in, so I will relay the co-ordinates of this station to you as I doubt your navigational records are complete.”

“Two jazuras, and a lot has changed. Co-ordinates received and new course plotted. I’ll see you soon.”

“That you will. In the name of the Pontifex have a swift and safe journey.” The comm closed and Lumar went back to studying sector activity. Time passed and without incident he passed from sector to sector. All the while he wondered if the bounty hunters were a little slow off the mark or too pre-occupied to bother investigating his re-appearance. He reflected that, before his disappearance, he could never travel freely without someone trying to kill him within two sectors of his start point. The question of how he would react if someone attacked him now perplexed him. The youth he simply disarmed and that was easy, but out here the only way to disarm a ship was to virtually destroy it, and to his mind only that would mean risking firing the lethal shot and taking life, something the Goner teachings forbid.

He recalled a discussion where he was invited to present his views about the use of violence and whether it could, under any circumstance be justified. Noah, the head of the Order and the only one to know Lumar’s background had been conspicuous by his absence.

“Whether we agree with it or not, we rely on the goodwill and protection of the authorities to deal with potential threats against us. How often have we witnessed police and military intervention to protect our own ships against attack and those battles leading to death. We must face the fact that there are people out there who have no interest in negotiation, who kill for scraps of salvage. That we do nothing to protect ourselves just makes us easy prey for those that are driven to finding credits to feed their drug addictions,” Simmon was one of the younger generation in the Goner sect.

“That is not denied, yet it is through our peaceful actions that we endeavour to lead by example. Our ships transport nothing of value, we have no weapons, and any attack against us is an act of cowardice not bravado. This is the message we broadcast sector wide should anyone fire on one of our ships. Often the attacker recognises that their act is one which will lose them credibility amongst their own people and they desist. The power of debate is our weapon of choice not the blaster or the warhead, if we were to install arms to our ships in the name of defence then we take a step along a dangerous road. A path where a single act of rashness can harm us all and destroy what we stand for in the eyes of those who trust us.” Tommie a veteran of the debating chamber received a ripple of applause from the audience.

“Brother Lumar, do you have anything to add to the discussion?” Yovan said, he was a middle aged and portly priest with a benevolent friendly face.

“Brother Yovan, I listen with interest to both sides of the discussion and there are merits to each argument. Often when faced by a hostile situation we know nothing about our attacker, we have no concept of their motivation and driving force. The success of debate and discussion relies on both sides being flexible in their position and yet as is so often the case there is no time to open the channels of communication before or during an attack. One thing we should think about is our part in all that happens during such an event. Our ships relay a message and if we are fortunate help will come, but think on this if our call for help leads to a death then we are as responsible for the killing as the person who pulled the trigger simply because they acted to our call.”

Lumar snapped out of his reflective moment when the ships AI announced, “Entering sector, The Wall.” He glanced at the sector map and just like those before it became a blank screen before updating with the new generation stations. The autopilot accelerated the ship from the gate and turned towards a distant glimmering speck that looked like a dim star. Keeping his attention on the ship movements he noted that they were not heading towards the Bakery but a new facility that the HUD declared as an equipment dock. Next to which nestled the bulk of a Carrier class ship, with recent events he could not tell if it was a military owned vessel or one of a growing number commissioned by ridiculously wealthy corporations to defend their commercial empires.

“Treena, comm the station and get us docking permission.”

“Acknowledged .. docking granted, auto pilot engaged.” The Mamba changed direction and picked up on the remote guidance beacon. Lumar sat back and watched as the station drew closer to the skeletal structure. The claw fingers only able to support a limited number of ships and most of these occupied.

The ship glided to its holding position and the clamping claw rotated down. Just before it collided with the hull it stopped and deployed side clamps which engaged, covering the side airlock door.

“Incoming message.”

---------

“On screen.”

Korecmancketras appeared, “Here already and no sign of bounty hunters, things must be going well.”

“I’m sure the situation will change.”

“That is undoubtedly a certainty. We will transport you on-board as soon as you disengage the internal dampening field.”

“I’d prefer to walk.” Lumar had come to understand the technology but that still did not make him comfortable using it. The notion that one part per billion did not make it back to exactly the right position always made him ask the question, ‘What if it’s an important part?’

“It’s a long way.”

“And good exercise after a long journey.”

“Very well, an emergency access tunnel will attach itself around the airlock door. Remember, there’s no atmosphere until you enter the station.” The comm. closed and Lumar waited patiently.

“Emergency access tunnel is now secured.” Treena announced.

Lumar recovered the suit helmet and put it on. With a slight hiss the pressure seal expanded and the suits micro valves closed. Satisfied that everything was safe he opened the inner airlock door and stepped inside. While the pressure was reduced and the atmosphere recovered, he tried to work out the last time he took a walk in space and gave up when Treena said, “Pressure balance with outside reached, outer airlock door opening.”

With zero gravity to aid him, Lumar moved easily and quickly through the short tunnel using the hand grabs to propel and guide himself along. The outer airlock door into the docking arm rolled open as he approached and then he found himself inside.

The inner airlock door opened to reveal a maintenance room. The large white lockers emblazoned with symbols for fire fighting equipment, first aid, cutting equipment, mobility suits. Lumar only gave a cursory look around while he walked to the next doorway. It opened and ahead of him was a long walkway that followed the line of the docking arm.

Sometime later he reached the hub of the station and was met by Korecmanketras, “Enjoy the walk?”

“The scenery was a little lacking. You need to have some murals painted on the wall to make it more of an experience,” Lumar said with a smile.

“Battle scenes or flowers and such?”

“That depends on the mood you want to create. Battle scenes are more dramatic, but if you should find you’re evacuating a transport full of refugees they could cause undue distress to youngsters.”

There was a deep rumbling laugh from the Paranid, “Your time away appears to have made you go soft in the head.”

“Consider that I’ve been tutored to appreciate life,” Lumar responded.

“As I said they’ve made you soft, but by the Pontifex it’s good to see you alive. Let’s go to my office and you can tell me why you didn’t kill the Split,” Korecmanketras said and began to move away.

“How’s your brother?”

“Alive and enjoying an early retirement back home.”

“I didn’t realize that business was going so well without me.” Lumar said and smiled.

“I see that your time away has adversely affected your sense of humour and the muscles in your face.”

“Oh this is what they call a smile. I’ve been practicing its numerous styles and taking notes on the effect.” Lumar tried a grin.

“With an expression like that I’m surprised they didn’t die from heart failure.”

“It can’t be that bad after all you’re still standing.”

“I have what the Argon call, a cast iron constitution.”

“Very useful, and I’m glad you’ve not started calling me a lower life form, otherwise I might have to try a different expression that’s guaranteed to make any Paranid apoplectic.” Lumar said and they came to a halt beside a shuttle lift door.

“Just so that you know, the long term storage facility at Trantor City, where you left your ship was broken into. Both security guards killed and the receptionist has gone missing. Speculation has it they were after data records and security codes.” Korecmancketras spoke quietly.

Lumar frowned, ‘so’, he thought, ‘it’s started,’ and said, “I’ll need a new ship.” The shuttle lift door opened.

“Anything caught your eye?”

“Yes, the Colossus stationed just outside.”

Korecmancketras gave a low laugh, “I thought you weren’t allowed to be violent.”

===========

“I’m not but I can’t stop other people from being that way inclined. All I can do is encourage them to be peaceful and try to see the error in their ways. Needless to say I might mumble a little bit and it would be difficult to convey the message personally to each member of the crew individually before they finished destroying an attacking vessel, which would be deeply regrettable and force me to send a message of condolence and regret to the members of the deceased family.” Lumar looked at the ceiling of the shuttle lift as he spoke.

The Paranid appeared to consider this and blinked each eye slowly and in turn from left to right, then back again. Eventually he said, “For the sake of the crew, I can let you have either a Nova or Mamba Raider.”

The shuttle door opened just when Lumar said, “So it is yours then.”

“In these dark times of the unholy we have been forced to make some significant investments.” Korecmancketras led the way to his new office. Lumar studied the décor which consisted of business awards and a range of security products.

“Drink, or does your new occupation forbid you even that pleasure?”

“Contrary to popular belief we are allowed to drink, in fact the temple has a vast selection of fine wines and ales. So the answer is ‘yes’ only make it a small glass and not of something banned by all governments,” Lumar replied and sat down on the Argnu hide settee.

There was a chink of ice landing in the bottom of glasses and the sound of a stopped being pulled followed by that of very generous measures being poured. The smell of Argon whisky permeated the air and Korecmancketras appeared holding two glasses. He placed one on the low table between the semicircle of seats and then sat in the armchair to Lumar’s left.

Lumar picked up the glass and took a gentle sniff of the spirit and relaxed back against the cushions. He said, “You have a message for me.”

“Yes, it came direct from an Info-broker simply saying if you want a good investigator try Ber Tolite on the trading station in Wastelands.”

“Nothing else?”

“Nothing,” Korecmancketras responded and appeared thoughtful while he sipped his drink slowly.

“But something’s troubling you.”

“The sectors beyond Wastelands lead to a pair of Teladi controlled systems infected by Xenon and Pirates groups.”

“They’re outer rim sectors and I’d expect nothing less, so what have you heard that’s causing you concern?” Lumar said and sipped his drink, allowing the rich flavour to invigorate and enliven his taste buds while the alcohol caught and warmed the back of his throat.

“We keep hearing rumours from that region about something called Eagle. I can’t give you anything specific because information is being restricted by all Government agencies, and to me that means something bad is going on,” Korecmanketras replied.

“It’s good to hear that you’re concerned for my wellbeing, I’m touched.”

“Well actually I wanted you to go and tell me if it’s a good time to put an office out there,” Korecmancketras said and gave a broad grin.

“Tell me have you ever considered changing religion?” Lumar said and Korecmancketras laughed.

“So which ship is it to be, Nova or Mamba?” Korecmancketras said after a brief while.

“You’re not desperate to get rid of me already are you?”

“Always, but I was thinking more in terms of transferring any equipment you have on your old ship that you might like to keep,” Korecmancketras said and gave a look that Lumar recognised and termed as ‘up to something’.

“And then use the old girl for target practice?” Lumar guessed.

“No, it’s a museum piece with a noble heritage and with a bit of restoration work it will be worth a handful of credits,” Korecmancketras smiled while he spoke.

“A bigger handful than one of these new boxes you’re palming me off with?”

“Perhaps .. but let’s not get embroiled in the detail.”

“Actually I’m rather interested in the detail,” Lumar said and took a large sip from the glass.
Last edited by Mercenary on Thu, 1. Jun 06, 08:53, edited 3 times in total.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 26. May 06, 14:54

Very nice read! The reasoning of violence is an interesting and conclusive one :) What currently concerns me a bit is the 'covering the side airlock door'. Does that mean they are still not certain about him? Or do they consider him an imposter?

Looking forward to the next installment! :thumb_up:

As for laptop, look at my sig. This is what I use and it works well. In large-scale battles (XI missions) it can get a bit choppy, in particular if there are PSG's being used. But generally it runs very well. The last patch has done a very good job.

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Fri, 26. May 06, 20:30

Good reading Merc! Can't wait to see what happens next!!!!! :D

steveo1259
x3tc

Post by steveo1259 » Mon, 29. May 06, 13:27

for the techy question, i use a laptop all the time, for every game i have, i run x2 and x3,

the specs are p4 1.73 GHZ
512MB ram
nivida graphics card
DVD/CD-RW drive
40GB harddrive
wireless,
win xp

it got a little bit sticky during jumps and fights but that was all and other than that i have upgraded it to the full patch and it works great now for the sights and trading even the fightings a little bit better

steve

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Mon, 29. May 06, 14:09

Cheers all,

Looks like there's some good options on the laptop front, quite a few options that are higher than my desktop .. but that's getting reasonably old now.

Anyway part 2 added below the -----

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 29. May 06, 14:55

Nice one! I love the banter :D Turning Creed into Lumar really was a great move, as it gives his character a lot more depth.

Looking forward to the next part! :thumb_up:

found one error:

"back to the exactly the right " - there is a 'the' too many

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Tue, 30. May 06, 10:14

'apoplectic'

I think that's supposed to be, 'apologetic'. Or it could be 'epileptic'.

Otherwise, I'm lovin' it!

Elwood J Blues.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 30. May 06, 12:55

Cheers Kiwi,

and corrected.

Hi Elwood

"apoplectic" is right in this instance as it denotes, 'outrage'.

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Tue, 30. May 06, 13:51

My bad. I'm having one of those days.

Elwood J Blues.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Thu, 1. Jun 06, 08:54

Chapter complete under the ========

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 1. Jun 06, 10:20

:lol:

Very nice one. I love the banter. Lumar really has made a change for the better. Yeah, trading his old-spec Mamba in for a new one almost does appear like a bad trade. On the other hand, firepower of the new ships is significantly higher if one uses all guns, though, it drains the batteries quicker. The choice between Nova and Mamba Raideris not an easy one. Neither of them are particularly fast and both have a turret at the back. I'd probably go for the Raider, at least it can outrun a number of missiles.

Looking forward to the next chapter! :thumb_up:

RavenIII
x4

Post by RavenIII » Thu, 1. Jun 06, 11:39

Great read.

I especially loved the discussion about violence :D

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Fri, 2. Jun 06, 04:01

Thing is if he goes and takes the Raider he only has a Mass Driver in the rear turret. And given his new personality, he'll be more inclined to use something that'll attack the shields rrather than have a chance at killing someone. I think he'll take the nova.

Elwood J Blues.

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sat, 3. Jun 06, 10:28

Brilliant read Steve! :thumb_up:
Wonder if Lumar would be able to get the AIC to 'tinker' with his new ship (whichever he chooses!)

Return to “Creative Universe”