A momentary lapse of reason - ch 2 (pt3 -23May)

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Mercenary
x3tc

A momentary lapse of reason - ch 2 (pt3 -23May)

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 19. May 06, 11:23

Part 3 added under the =========

Chapter 2:

Lumar used a more leisurely pace than the one taught to reach the inner sanctum of the Goner Temple. The journey back was quick, utilising the ships jumpdrive to avoid any potential ambush from a trigger happy Split. “It’s better to be cautious and alive than naive and dead,” he had explained to Tinn who had favoured a more traditional journey.
As expected Noah wanted to see him as soon as he arrived on station telling him, “I suggest you contemplate your actions today.”
The door to the antechamber swung open on his approach and without altering his pace or length of stride he drifted in.

“Brother Lumar, I hope in the time you took from leaving your transport to arriving here you have reflected on recent events.” Noah spoke with his usual calmness, allowing only a hint in the change of his tone to express any sign of emotion, in this case displeasure.

“I have and I recognise that my conduct was not fitting for a Goner priest. For that I am sorry as I have no excuse for the way my instinct prevailed in the face of danger.”

“I will remind you of my first word to you, that to put on the robes you had to leave the person you once were at the gateway and become Lumar a member of the Goner. Only then would you be allowed to stay with us.”

“Are you throwing me out?”

“No. Your act, although foolish, was not out of a love for violence but in defence. The person you once were would have left a corpse behind and the fact you did no more than take his feet from under him is a clear indication to me that your path in life is converging with ours. Yet you leave us with a quandary, your very act of defence may well betray you to your enemies. What repercussions will result is uncertain,” Noah paused for a few moments to allow his words to sink in, “This might be resolved by you but it will not be without some risk.”

“Providing this suggestion does not involve me enduring a beating by a Split, what is the path you want me to follow?”

“To solve the mystery surrounding the Colonial Star. I have a growing suspicion from the news that I have received that to find the answer will take someone with, let us say, a special talent for survival.”

“I’m sure we can recruit such a person.”

“No, Lumar, you are that person, by your actions today you have singled yourself out for the task. A shuttle will take you down to the planet where you will regain your former identity and your old ship. The trail of Lumar will be obvious for any who enquire, and your re-emergence will be enough to divert attention away from the brethren. Consider this a test of everything you have learnt and keep to the true path.”

“That may prove difficult.”

“You have been with us nearly two jazuras and it is time to show us that the monster is gone.”

Lumar considered Noah’s words, “And if I succeed?”

“You will be welcomed with open arms.”

“What will be the measure of my success?”

“You carry the knowledge of the principles that make us Goner and by your actions you will be able to judge in your own heart whether you are worthy of returning,” Noah gave a re-assuring smile.

“What will you tell Tinn and Ferd?”

“Tinn will be told that you have been sent away to mull over your actions. I spoke to Ferd prior to your arrival and he made it clear that he has suspicions about your identity and it was him that suggested we put up a ‘smoke screen’ with some tangible evidence to distract the hunters who pursue you.”

“Very well, when do I leave?” Lumar felt a twinge of annoyance that one small incident had so quickly set wheels in motion. The phrase, ‘damage limitation’ sprang to mind and he wondered if Noah had made contingency plans from the first moment he arrived should his location be discovered.

“There is a planetary shuttle currently in dock and I have instructed the pilot to delay departure until you are on-board,” Noah replied and then added, “Safe journey Brother Lumar, and let the true light show you the way back to us.”

Lumar gave a slight nod and said, “Until we meet again Brother.” He turned and with robes flowing he strode from the hall and made his way directly to the shuttle knowing there was nothing he needed from his room.

The shuttle was a standard passenger vessel rather than the normal Goner transport and he patently ignored the disgruntled looks and muttering of the passengers when he boarded. Lumar sat quietly contemplating the future in stony faced silence. Rain pelted the windows while the shuttle dropped through the cloud and made its final approach to the Trantor City transfer station. With barely a jolt the shuttle craft touched down and the voice of the stewardess announced, “Welcome to Trantor, the temperature outside is a mild 24 degrees AF and wet. Please remain seated until the signs go out and the exit doors are open. We hope your stay on Trantor is pleasant and on behalf of all the crew we hope to see you again soon.”

Within a few mizuras Lumar joined the throng of jostling people as they trudged towards the visitor security check. As a Goner, Lumar had little difficulty in passing through the checkpoint with just a system identity confirmation and a cursory wave to move on while around him other visitors were subjected to the, “Purpose of visit,” and “This form is filled out incorrectly, take another and return to the queue when completed. Next.”

The formality of moving along segregated corridors made him feel like one of a herd wandering aimlessly into the unknown. With the exception that he walked with purpose through the terminal and out into the covered tunnels that led to the transports into the city. The door of a white pod opened, the dark tinted glass hiding the white and blue interior of the six seater.

“Please state destination.” The mechanical voice intoned while the door closed.

“Hanger station Gamma ten.”

”That will be .. one hundred, five credits. Please authorise transaction.” A credit transfer pad presented itself. Lumar typed in a code and then pressed his hand against the scanner.

“Authorisation confirmed.” The vehicle moved away with a whir of electric motors. The mag-lev system making the ride so smooth that were it not for the moments of acceleration and deceleration the only other indication of movement were the buildings hurtling past.

The pod came to a halt under the canopy of the Hanger Station entrance, an old electronic sign changing between adverts for hair care products and the next generation of food synthesisers. Lumar was amused knowing the adverts were supposedly tailored to the products he was most likely to want to buy based on occupation. He wondered briefly what weapons of mass destruction he would be offered if the system had him listed as Creed.

“On behalf of Trantor City public utilities we hope you enjoyed your journey today,” The computer voice announced as the door slid open.

Lumar stepped out and stood for a brief while looking at the grey concrete building ahead of him. The dark doorway at its base a portal to a life he had turned his back on, even though some dark part of his psyche desired to return to it. Perhaps it was this part of his mind, he considered, that made him take on the Split youth. This inner demon that Lumar felt Noah knew he had to face before he could truly free himself of his heritage. He knew he had a task to perform and set his resolve to see it done, with no more deliberation he strode forward. The doors silently parted with his approach and glided shut behind him.

==========
“You have entered a restricted zone, enter your pass-code,” The synthesised voice had a slight static crackle over the speaker. The thick plasma shielding protecting the lobby was simply the first line of protection to the stored vessels. The rotating door into the next zone would only allow one person to squeeze through at a time. “Access granted.” He heard a mechanical click from the locking mechanism of the revolving door and moved forward.

Two security guards flanked a desk, behind which a particularly bored looking girl sat. The comm system indicated an incoming call and with a sudden look of enthusiasm the receptionist answered. “Hello?” There was a slight pause, the face changed to give a broad smile and the girl started jabbering away twisting ringlets of her blond hair between her fingers. Lumar glanced at the two surly security guards without concern. He could imagine working at this long term storage unit would be enough to persuade any employee that scrubbing toilets was an interesting and exciting job.

“What this evening? .. Yeah I finish shift in another half stazura .. what the Tresco Club?” She said while Lumar waited patiently without saying a word until the girl noticed him and gave him a look of contempt. “What will you be wearing?” She rummaged around on the desk and displaced a number of make up items until she recovered an authorisation pad which she thrust towards him, “Just hold on a sezura,” He saw her press the hold button on the comms unit, “Enter your access code and wait for confirmation.”

He took the pad without a word and keyed in his code, the pad responded with a message, “Authorisation confirmed, ship being readied for departure on level five, bay ninety seven.” Handing the pad back the girl took it with disinterest and returned to her call.

Without hesitation he walked towards the shuttle lift wondering how long it would take before news of his re-appearance would surface. He half expected to be challenged before he reached the lift but a glance back over his shoulder revealed the security guards had transformed from the silent muscle ready to deal with trouble to a couple of guys slouching around on the soft seating chatting to each other. The receptionist was still sorting out her social life when the lift doors opened.

Five mizuras later he approached the old Mamba its hull had been washed and cleaned. It was a familiar sight even now and he admired the sleek curves. Yet the array of weapons was a sullen reminder that for all the beauty this was a vessel designed with one purpose in mind. He regarded it as the teeth of the monster he left behind. The silent cannons ready to spit lethal venom and rain death on any that stood in his path. The ship was terror and in terror there was power but, he chided himself that it was only with his discarded name at the helm that he inspired fear in others, and the power it commanded was paper thin. One mistake and the illusion would be broken.

Lumar felt no resentment for the ship being a reminder of the past while he walked towards the airlock door. He reflected on some of the Goner teachings that the ship was simply a tool, nothing more, and he could see no point in blaming the tool for the action of the wielder. Even so it was with a degree on unaccustomed trepidation that his fingers pressed on the security lock. The door hissed open and he stepped in. Inside the scent was musty, the air purifiers and ventilation system still in the initialisation phase after jazuras without use. He took a deep breath, sucking in an old familiarity.

“Flight system initialisation complete. Welcome back Creed.” The seductive voice of the AI said.

“I have a new identity now. Call me Lumar.” In the confined cabin he opened a locker and removed his stylised flight suit. Several mizuras later he was changed, the robes neatly folded and reverentially stowed away. For a short while he found himself lost in thought while staring at the weapons locker, undecided whether he should open it while some inner voice goaded him to look inside reminding him how good the blaster felt against his hip before he surrendered it. Dropping himself into the pilot seat his eyes took in the instrument panel, “Status check.”

“Navigation systems, gravitational stabilisers, life support, environmental control all stable and functioning within normal parameters, Shield operational and fully charged, weapons offline, maximum engine power down to ninety two percent of manufacturers specification.”

“That’s because you’re getting old,” Lumar said.

“And I have been idle for the last two jazuras, one wozura, five tazuras, two stazuras, twenty seven mizuras and nine sezuras.”

“I’d hate for you to keep a record, now get us departure clearance and book us a space on the next off world transport,” Lumar relaxed and waited.

The platform moved the ship through the storage unit and then lifted it on to the launch pad. The heavily tinted visor became obscured by the heavy rain and for a short while they remained stationary.

“Transport booked. Departure in one stazura and fifteen mizuras.”

“Might as well go sit in the loading park than enjoy watching the rain on the visor. Engage autopilot and take us in.” Lumar sat back and watched the water streaming off the screen while the engines roared to life. The surge of power and noticeable sharpness of the turns a stark reminder how sluggish the Goner transports were.

Nearly two stazuras later and the docking bay doors of the orbital transport ship opened, the black star strewn void beyond. Lumar could see the edge of the nebula cloud and dull gleam of sunlight on the outer hull of the sectors stations. The transports guidance system took over the ships guidance system and began an orderly release of vessels. With a slight jolt the Mamba moved forward and glided gracefully out of the docking bay.

“Set me a course for the Cahoona Bakery in The Wall that doesn’t go through Ore Belt.”

“Plotting, course confirmed.”

“Time to go visit some old friends,” Lumar hit the boost and turned the ship for the Red Light gate.
Last edited by Mercenary on Wed, 24. May 06, 12:49, edited 4 times in total.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 19. May 06, 14:03

Ouch! That is a bit of a twist. I can see why they have to do something because otherwise all other Goners would run into risk of being killed at sight. When Noah says 'become your old self' does that mean he completely reinstates his persona for everybody to know that he is not dead? That will put him in quite some position ...

Looking forward to the next part! Great to see you have increased your writing frequency! :thumb_up:

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Fri, 19. May 06, 17:44

8) Awesome! Lumar departs and Creed returns (with his kick *ss Mamba?)

Will he be alone, or shall we be seeing Serandamancketal again!

Will Caran Belign take an interest in Creeds activities?
Will the War Master guild try to get Creed to remember his own words.." Once a guilder...always a guilder" or words to that effect!!!!!!

Too many questions.......Really looking forward to you next part. :D

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Sat, 20. May 06, 11:57

This is getting crazy awesome! One question, how did Creed find the 'path of light'? From memory the last time we saw him was in the fight at Xenon Sector 372; then he disappeared.

Elwood J Blues.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sat, 20. May 06, 19:23

Hi Elwood, Actually the last time we saw Creed was in Traders Tales 4 - Homebound....I think he met Tor at the Cahoona Bakery :D

Elwood J Blues
x3tc

Post by Elwood J Blues » Sun, 21. May 06, 06:08

I think it's time I read through bits and pieces to jog my memory.

Elwood J Blues.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Mon, 22. May 06, 11:16

A short 570 word section added under the ****

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 22. May 06, 16:08

Nice 570 words :)

I like Creed's reflection and also the 'directed advertisement'. Very nice one! It appears common people do not enjoy the company of a Goner?

patently -> patiently?

stony faced -> stony-faced (I think it needs a hyphen)

Looking forward to the next part! :thumb_up:

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Mon, 22. May 06, 17:00

Fantastic Merc :D :thumb_up:

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 23. May 06, 09:50

As you might be able to tell, it's still a little bit quiet at work at the moment.

part 3 added under the =======

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Wed, 24. May 06, 08:40

Yeah, Creed back on the loose, or at least back in the line of fire. Perhaps most people will simply ignore him. On the other hand, there may be young hot-shots that may yearn for fame ... and death.

Looking forward to the next part! :thumb_up:

found a couple of mistakes:

- when the computer tells Lumar how long he was idling for, it tells seconds before minutes before hours

- Nearly two sezuras later -> that should probably be 'stazuras' as in hours ;)

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Wed, 24. May 06, 12:40

Oops... Cheers Kiwi,

Forgot to bring my X-Universe handbook out with me to double check the time units, thanks for putting me right.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Wed, 24. May 06, 13:37

Hehe I thought that might have been the case. The time units make a lot more sense in German than in English, so it is easy for me to pick it up

Sezura = Sekunde = second
Mizura = Minute = minute
Stazura = Stunde = hour
Tazura = Tag = day
Wozura = Woche = week
Mazura = Monat = month
Jazura = Jahr = year

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Wed, 24. May 06, 18:15

Cool! Creed/Lumar heading back to Tor's (old?) Cahoona Bakery!

Great Stuff Merc. :thumb_up:

Return to “Creative Universe”