Rant thread

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

plawolf
x3tc

Rant thread

Post by plawolf » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 01:28

Thought I'd create a place for people to vent their anger and share their frustrations. I'll start the ball rolling.

Started a new game as bankrupt assassin. Killed some pirates, capped a few ships, got some decent breaks with the caps and landed some serious upgrades and weapons, all was looking good, then the Khaak show up with two destroyers and 3 or 4 superclusters. And where did the choose to invade? Company pride, where I happened to have cluster my fledging fleet of captured and repaired TS' collecting wares from my pirating activities.

They jumped in right on top of us, wiped out my transports almost instantly and I barely got out of there alive, but lost about 70% off my hull, the transporter device, docking computer and freight scanner I managed to salvage plus was forced to used up all of my missile stocks and have almost no money in the bank because I sunk it all in patching up the transports. So, after 6 game hours, I am worse off then I started! And to add insult to injury, in my old game, when I had fleets of destroyers and carriers, I have never faced a khaak invasion and even clusters are a rarity!

I might just load up my old game and go slaughter some khaak to vent my anger!

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 01:42

The universe can be a dodgy place, just the way i like it :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 01:55

Thats what saves are for :)

Also, it pays to have fleets like yours in out of the way places with a gate handy.

I think I saw something about 1.4 that said that the Khaak battlegroups will spawn whereever your assests accumulate early in the game. I had hope this was not true, since that does generate the situation that you describe.

I guess its real then.

If so, I have 8 bPBE's lined up on the &*^%$#@ who decided that was a good idea !

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 02:13

I guess that the word got out that you were no longer
Bankrupt. So breaking the "Brankrupt Assassion" SOP.
So the powers that be sent in thier "Assassion's,
to put you back in your place :P

The transport to Ringo Moon has been delayed do to
technicel difficulties.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 03:26

LV wrote:The universe can be a dodgy place, just the way i like it :)
Just the way it should be. Who'd want a warm and fuzzy universe? It makes it more interestiong when you're not sure if the person you just dealt with is going to stab you in the back or not. :D

I actually think there should be a script (hint;)) that would, at some random point, totally destroy your rep with a particular race.

Think you're all good with the Paranid, then for some unknown reason, they just turn on you. They hate you so much, they'd destroy your ship, collect the dust and piss on the pile.

Gavrusik
x3

Post by Gavrusik » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 14:58

I feel like the poor relative.. With advanced Satellites everywhere I can say categorically there has never been an invasion fleet in my X-universe.. I've been playing 22 days or something now . Is it because I am playing without the story??

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 15:01

Gavrusik wrote:I feel like the poor relative.. With advanced Satellites everywhere I can say categorically there has never been an invasion fleet in my X-universe.. I've been playing 22 days or something now . Is it because I am playing without the story??
definitely a posibility.

SevenKiller
x3tc

Post by SevenKiller » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 16:35

Hmm harsh way to start your game,my start was mainly me trying to get through pirate space (i started bankrupt assassin as my very first x3 game ever,supposed to be hard) i got evry lucky with caps got my self a jump drive early on,my main rant is those damn asteroids that seem to drop out of no where and destroy me >.<
Kha'ak have just started to spawn in my game to,seen my first cluster after 3 days play,best start protecting my UT and stations :x

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 21:28

apricotslice wrote:Thats what saves are for :)

Also, it pays to have fleets like yours in out of the way places with a gate handy.

I think I saw something about 1.4 that said that the Khaak battlegroups will spawn whereever your assests accumulate early in the game. I had hope this was not true, since that does generate the situation that you describe.

I guess its real then.

If so, I have 8 bPBE's lined up on the &*^%$#@ who decided that was a good idea !
Well, Im playing this game like it was for real, which means no re-loads, if I die, I restart.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 21:38

So, you never shut your game off? heh. There's no way. If I did something stupid, after a week of the game running, I would most asuredly NOT start over.

Comparing it to "real", if I were to work on a drawing at work for 8-9 hours, and not save it, then something happens over night and I lose it. Well, that's just not a good thing. I hate haveing to re-do things, in real life, in games. It's just counter productive any way you look at it.

I admire your dedication tho. I simply wouldn't have the ambition to try that approach. If I got whacked after weeks of playing, with nothing to fall back on, I would prolly just bin it, and start on a different game. :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 21:45

plawolf wrote:
Well, Im playing this game like it was for real, which means no re-loads, if I die, I restart.
so, you never turn your pc off? Or you mean die, not save in a station and exit the game.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

cavscout1739
x2

Post by cavscout1739 » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 21:53

I rant against the playing style where if you die, you start a new game.

(I've always wanted to say that).

With the 1.4, all my other subjects for ranting about have been fixed.

But:

With MODS, I recently reinstalled a bunch of updated mods, including the one where you get assasination and bounty hunter missions.

Now, I just get an "Unknown text" message for whatever reason, and no missions to choose from.

Using Mods - well, what can I say? Sometimes it's da bomb, sometimes you're bombed.

-Cav
"Everyone remember where we parked the ship."

teladianium
x3

Post by teladianium » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 22:38

plawolf:
If I'm understanding you correctly, that's the way I play. I autosave in stations. I'm in a non-plot game so I can't buy salvage insurance.

w.r.t. to Kha'ak invasions, I kept begging for one to get the rank boost but didn't see one until I restarted on Savage Split and I'm only now able to afford an Elephant.

b.

Bandus
x4

Post by Bandus » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 22:41

In a non-plot game the Khaak invaded Argon Prime on day 2. I was in a Mercury at the time but I quickly hopped over to my Buster which I had been using the profits from trade in the Mercury to upgrade.

I waited until the Argon Navy had the Khaak engaged and then I went into with guns blazing. Got some kills, nearly got killed. Yada, yada. :p

The Khaak really throw a wrench in the works at inopportune times which is a good thing. I feel like I've accomplished more after defeating adversity. :)

Ammok Rules
x3

Re: Rant thread

Post by Ammok Rules » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 22:58

plawolf wrote:Thought I'd create a place for people to vent their anger and share their frustrations. I'll start the ball rolling.

Started a new game as bankrupt assassin. Killed some pirates, capped a few ships, got some decent breaks with the caps and landed some serious upgrades and weapons, all was looking good, then the Khaak show up with two destroyers and 3 or 4 superclusters. And where did the choose to invade? Company pride, where I happened to have cluster my fledging fleet of captured and repaired TS' collecting wares from my pirating activities.

They jumped in right on top of us, wiped out my transports almost instantly and I barely got out of there alive, but lost about 70% off my hull, the transporter device, docking computer and freight scanner I managed to salvage plus was forced to used up all of my missile stocks and have almost no money in the bank because I sunk it all in patching up the transports. So, after 6 game hours, I am worse off then I started! And to add insult to injury, in my old game, when I had fleets of destroyers and carriers, I have never faced a khaak invasion and even clusters are a rarity!

I might just load up my old game and go slaughter some khaak to vent my anger!
you didn't buy any lottery tickets perchance? I wouldn't if i was you.
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 01:51

mrbadger wrote:
plawolf wrote:
so, you never turn your pc off? Or you mean die, not save in a station and exit the game.
Of course I turn off the game! But thats not a 're-load' in my book, since there is no 're' element. After I have autosaved in a station and turned off the game, when I load the save game up, its just a continuation of the orginal game, not a revision of it.

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 02:10

fud wrote:So, you never shut your game off? heh. There's no way. If I did something stupid, after a week of the game running, I would most asuredly NOT start over.

Comparing it to "real", if I were to work on a drawing at work for 8-9 hours, and not save it, then something happens over night and I lose it. Well, that's just not a good thing. I hate haveing to re-do things, in real life, in games. It's just counter productive any way you look at it.

I admire your dedication tho. I simply wouldn't have the ambition to try that approach. If I got whacked after weeks of playing, with nothing to fall back on, I would prolly just bin it, and start on a different game. :)
Thank you.

Well, you'd be suprised at how differently the gaming experience is if you know that if you screw up, you loose everything. For me, it adds that extra element of excitment in combat, you feel real pulpable fear when you are in your mamba with no turret and the missile launch warning sounds. Now thats something I never got playing the game the 'traditional way'. And Im still riding the high after shooting down a silkworm nanoseconds before it blow me away.

You also learn to drastically downgrade your rating of your own combating abilities and choose to run a hell of a lot more of the time. I just think it adds a bit more depth to the game as you are now evaluating every engagment before you enter combat to see what your chances are.

Don't get me wrong, there are major down sides, and it becomes especially trying in cases like the one I started this thread with, or the time when a pirate shot a hammerhead at me, or the time when a titan ran me over...

ANd I would not reconmend this playing style to people starting off, I have played the game excessively since it came out, and have done pretty much everything there is to do in terms of empire building and glactic conquest. This is just a way for me to bring new life to the game, and I don't usually last very long, this is not the way to built an empire. I'm just trying my best and seeing how far I can get before my luck ran out.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 02:20

Ah, the "Iron Man" mode of gameplay. Personally I'd go mad trying that - it would stop being a game!

There's only one mode harder, and that's where, when you die, you throw the game away and never re-start. Like real life.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Firesky1
x3

Post by Firesky1 » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 02:21

In my game they are Trashing The Hole in argon space, and Barren Shores in Boron space..not sure why there not sending in fleets to at least slow them down...Oh I know. they want me as the humble merchant to save the day! alright fine..jumped back into my Disco, crossed into sector..Shields up, weapon's energized..this should only take a couple of Min..>Snap<>Crackle<>Pop<......................................................... :cry:
Consider gain and loss, But never be greedy
and everything will be all right

Every Person is the creation of himself, The
image of his own thinking and believing

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Thu, 6. Apr 06, 12:44

fud wrote:...I actually think there should be a script (hint;)) that would, at some random point, totally destroy your rep with a particular race.
lol..... erm oops :P
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”