Red Glow - Chapter 11 (19.01.2006)

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

KiwiNZ
x4

Red Glow - Chapter 11 (19.01.2006)

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 14:04

This is a bit of a shorter chapter but I thought I'd better publish it now than wait till I manage to write more.

Enjoy.

-------------------

“What a waste of time.”

Val was exhausted. She had spent four stazuras investigating the gate in her environment suit. The result was a lot of data that gave absolutely nothing away about the former destination of the gate or what had led to its destruction. She walked over to the bar in her office and poured a drink.

“If nothing else, we now know that the nebula only effects shields and do no longer need to wonder if there was anything of value by the gate.”

“Couldn’t we have found that out just by flying by? Four stazuras of space walking are not what I consider fun.” Val stripped off her clothes and went under the sonic shower. Despite the fact that she had spent many days in a cramped cockpit in the past, she just could not get used to being soaked in her own sweat for a longer period of time. And this period had been more than exceeded during the last mission.

Arox had obviously little understanding for that. “Stop behaving like a girl and get on with it.”

“Just in case you failed to notice, I am a girl!”

“Well, yeah, there were indeed a few indicators that implied that.”

“I need to get among people more often, I think. Your confirmation does not really cut it. How about dinner at the Trading Station? Can you ask Bola Ti if he wants to tag along?”

“He hasn’t left his quarters for the past wozura, perhaps he forgot the key. You may have to cut him out should he accept.”

“How is his research coming along?”

“The computer has been under high load at all times. I don’t think he has been lazing around a lot. As to how close he is to completing his work, you will need to ask him. How about you invite him for dinner at the Trading Station? That way you’d also get among people.”

“That sounds like a great idea! Could have been one of mine. You are just too fast for me.” Val laughed and got dressed. It really had been quite some time that she had seen anybody else but her mirror image. Even Bola Ti had only made a rare appearance every now and again. Constantly arguing with an AI could not be good for her psyche.

The bar at the Trading Station was almost empty, only a couple Teladi haggling in one corner and a group of Boron youngsters bragging about their latest scores at the sector obstacle course race. Her universal translator unit had problems keeping up with the busy chatter. But as far as Val could make out it must have been quite a spectacle and close fight.

At the bar she could make out the wiry statute of an Argon male. He appeared to be occupied chatting with the bar tender and did not take notice of her entering the venue.

Taking a seat in the far corner of the room she tabbed a few buttons to order a Soja drink and a Marl fillet. Val wasn’t quite sure what that was going to be but Boron of all should know how to prepare fish.

It was relaxing just to sit back for a while, not worrying if anybody is after her. The ammonia-laden air did its part to relaxation.

The waitress discretely coughed a couple of times before Val stirred. Looking at her meal, she had to recognise that the Marl looked appetising. If it tasted as it smelled she was in for a treat.

While she rejoiced in her meal the Argon male had quietly made his way over to her table. “Would you allow me to take a seat?”

Val’s head snapped up. “Uhm, well, yes.” Sometimes words don’t come easy. He had caught her off-guard and while she was not too keen on company a ‘no’ somehow did not want to make it over her lips.

“My name is Tagor Hild.”

Val just nodded but did not reply. The stranger did not appear to be discouraged by that.

“I haven’t seen you around here before? Are you just travelling through?”

Again she nodded.

“Have you spent a lot of time in Boron sectors? I am looking for good deals.”

This time Val looked up slowly and mustered him with a glance that did hardly hide her disbelief. He looked nothing like a trader to her. His hands did not look like those of a trader that is used to shifting freight, slim fingers, tidy nails, and perfect skin. He could more likely be an office person. However, the alert look in his eyes did not fit. Neither did the way he moved. Though she had only seen him stand at the bar and sit down at her table. Just the motion of sitting down eradiated energy and a readiness that she had only seen in a couple of Split assassins. Then his face, these fine lines, dark eyes, and slim nose; where had she seen them before? Also, why had he come over to her table? Well, fair enough, she was the only other Argon in the bar. This face, where?

“Sorry, I am just passing by, so I am not the right person to ask.”

His eyes twitched ever so slightly when Val said that. An almost unnoticeable smile circled his lips. This man knew more than he wanted to let her know.

“So where are you headed? What sort of ship do you have?”

“I am headed for the Teladi sectors”, Val responded ambiguously.

“Teladi, hu? So you are flying a freighter?”

“”No, I am flying a fighter.” The sound of her voice carried the diminishing level of her patience. Then she remembered: Argon Secret Service database. This guy was her shadow! “But you know that already.”

“How would I know? I only just met you …”

“… in person.” Val finished his sentence. “You have been following me for the past wozuras. Why, I don’t know. But perhaps you are going to tell me?”

Tagor stiffened. That was blunt, most of all, she knew. “What makes you think I have been following you? I have been here for quite some time now.”

“Fair enough, if you don’t have anything to tell then I’d prefer to finish my meal alone.”

Yikes, she certainly knew how to cut to the chase. Tagor sat quietly for a mizuras. This was going to be tough. Should he tell her? If yes, how much and which part?

“I can’t tell you but please believe me, I do not wish you any harm.”

Val looked him in the eyes for a while, and then nodded. “I believe you, you will also have noticed that it is not so easy to do me any harm. What interest does the Argon Secret Service have in me?”

“You are well informed.” He smiled. “You have transported some rather important things for us and we like to keep watch over our couriers.” The feeling of having found such a good save did not last for long.

“So you do that with all couriers? Interesting to see what people pay their taxes for. To do my contribution to a better Argon society I relieve you of this job. I solemnly swear that I will not blame you should I get shot down.” It was the first time Tagor saw Val smile. He liked that much better than the harsh and repelling expression he had faced so far.

“Thank you for reassuring me. I will bring it up with my boss and try to convince him.” He laughed. “What do you think makes you interesting for the ASS? Are you running from somebody? You seem to get into trouble wherever you go!”

Val shook her head. “Not sure why the ASS should be interested in me. After all, you guys look after ALL of your couriers, don’t you? As for my troubles, I presume these are more or less related to those trips that I did for you. Bad losers kind of situation.”

“You also have got an interesting weapon. I saw you fight those Xenon, impressive. They did not appear to see much light. Scanning the wreckage I noticed quite a few Split ships have been destroyed.”

“Well, there were a lot more Xenon to start with. The Split dispatched of most of them. I only helped out because I needed docking permission.” Val replied laughing mischievously, ignoring the first part of the question.

“Either way, you appear to be a reasonable fighter pilot. Ever considered joining the Navy?”

“And that would do me what good exactly?”

“Well, you’d get state of the art equipment …”

“… raises eyebrow …”

“… free food and accommodation and on top of that good salary …”

“ … twiddles thumbs in boredom …”

“… and be protected by the Navy at all times!”

“I believe I have got the ASS watching over me, what more can a girl want? But I am sure you are now getting to the benefits that the Navy would have for me, right?”

“Ok, I can see that there is not a lot in for you, but protection should not be underestimated. And we always need good pilots.”

“Hmm, so I have just been promoted from reasonable to good fighter, and that in a matter of minutes. If it is that easy to rise in the ranks of the Navy I should probably contemplate it. An Admiral post within two wozuras appears to be in reach.”

“Lack of confidence is obviously not a weakness of yours. Well, there is a standing offer, think about it.”

“No thanks, I am pretty sure I am much better off at the moment. Should I feel threatened then I’ll just hire a few good pilots. Serving under any odd officer who potentially bought himself a rank is not what I fancy for my future. Taking over the Universe sound much more like it.”

They sat for a few mizuras, nobody willing to break the silence. There had been a bitter taste in her last words. Neither Tagor nor Val knew where that had come from. A beep from Tagor’s pad ended the uneasy moments. He looked down and his complexion turned pale.

“What is it? You look like they just demoted you by two ranks.”

He looked up, his eyes moving nervously. “Just an important message, the content of which, however, is not what we wanted to see.”

“Care to share?”

“I can’t, it concerns a very important person in our Universe.”

“Brennan.” Val only whispered it, not realising she did.

“What do you know about him?” The uncertain look had made room to that of an eagle, ready to hunt down its prey.

“Pardon? What do I know about who?”

“You whispered the name Brennan when I indicated why I could not talk about the message!”

“Well, he is the only person I know of who is very important in our Universe. Looking at what he has done, there is …”

“Cut it out, you don’t like to be played, neither do I. If you know anything of value it is your responsibility to let us know. Otherwise …”

“Otherwise? Are you trying to threaten me? You know what you need to know. I think our business here is done. It has been a pleasure.”

“Not so fast. If you are not willing to tell me what you know I will take you to Argon Prime as a prisoner.”

Val stood up slowly and looked him straight in the eye. “Do you really think that you will be able to accomplish this? Look around you!”

Tagor turned around but could not see anybody threatening. When he turned back she had vanished. All he saw was the fading blue haze of a transporter. He cursed. This was not what he had intended, but she definitely knew more than she told them. Was she the person who provided the information? If so, how did she obtain it? Also, how did she know who to send it to? Too many open questions … yet again. Considering the way they parted he’d find it difficult to get anywhere near as close again. How come she could transport herself out of the bar? Didn’t all public venues have shields installed to prevent the use of transporters? There was work to do. Tagor stood up and made his way to his room.

The Boron had made a good effort to provide a very comfortable accommodation for the time of his stay in the sector. A soft Argnu leather couch in the middle of the room stood facing a wide wall, which currently displayed images of the Boron home world. Relaxation ranked obviously very high in the life style of these aquatic creatures.

Tagor pressed a button on the remote control and the images made room to a communication screen. The face of Ban Danna appeared.

“Tagor, I assume you received my message.”

“Indeed. And I also have a hunch of who may have sent it.”

The Admiral looked surprised. “Who do you have in mind?”

Tagor briefly reported his meeting with Val, the outcome and his concerns.

“I did wonder what had happened to you, there was some of that energy missing that you usually eradiate. So you found your master, is it that?” Ban Danna gave him a concerned yet encouraging smile.

“Well, my ego may have been dented a bit but that is not going to cause me a lot of grief. It is more that she appears to be way ahead in our game and only shares information when it may suit her.”

“When it suits her? What benefit does she get from sending an anonymous drone? Unless she is trying to disperse us and wants to take over the Universe, I can’t see any good reason.”

“Uhm, she did talk about taking over the Universe when I suggested her to join the Navy.” A smile circled his lips.

Ban Danna laughed. “Worth a try, futile nonetheless. Try to stick to her and find out more. Even if I doubt we will find out anything crucial without her voluntarily providing the information, it will be good to keep track of what she is up to.”

“I will do. Can you check with the Goners regarding her transporting through the containment shields of the bar? I was not aware this was possible and it may pose quite a threat.”

“Consider it done. Good bye for now.” The screen went black.
Last edited by KiwiNZ on Fri, 20. Jan 06, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 20:57

Hi KiwiNZ.

Good read as always and looking forward to the next part!!
Are you ready for me to be a pain in the backside again? :D

“I can’t tell you but please believe me, I do not want you any harm.”

Should that be 'wish you any harm' ?

"The feeling of having found such a good safe did not last for long. "

Think there's a word missing.

Pain in the backside mode terminated.

:D :thumb_up:

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 23:18

Thanks for the spots. I fixed the first one. The second one I am not sure. Could it be spelling, that it'd be better with a 'v'? All it is is him saving his butt with a clever phrase, which I am used to refer to as 'good safe' but could be 'good save'?

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 00:50

I initially read it as if from Val's perception as in a good safe place, but as it is at the end of Tagor's dialogue "a good save" does now make sense.
Heh, my brains turning to jelly tonight! :D

I read a lot of books, SciFi, thriller and others. I'm such a picky s*d I keep finding mistakes in those, generally a lot more than I find when reading your stories and they are supposed to be proof read by professionals.......I'm in the wrong job! :D

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 01:55

I read a lot of books, SciFi, thriller and others. I'm such a picky s*d I keep finding mistakes in those
Yay! So I'm NOT the only one like this!

Good read KiwiNZ! Still enjoying this a lot! It's really good! Do keep it going, man, please! I think we're in about the same place with our stories, and we CAN do it! Will do it!

Da Z

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 10:17

'save' it is then :)
Thanks for that. I don't mind people being anal about these things. After all, I am learning from it. If nobody says a word then I'll just continue making the same mistakes ;) So thanks heaps.

Yeah Zigy, it sometimes becomes a lot harder to continue rather than becoming easier. Creativity can't really be forced. Good to see you got something out again, too :D Will get on reading that in a bit!

My next part will be a while because I am going on holidays to Greece on Saturday, so won't be around for a bit.

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 17:19

Greece?! Nice. Have a good time.

Sigh... I need to get outta the UK!!

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 17:53

Hehe yeah, I have been waiting for it for a few months. Have a desperate need for a change of scenery :)

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 19:36

I'll be slogging my guts out working and being totally jealous thinking of you soaking up the sun! :D

Have a good time mate. :D

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 19:56

Thanks guys, I will enjoy the sun and think of you poor souls :P :twisted:

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Sat, 21. Jan 06, 16:36

good story

any thoughts when the next issue will arrive i am about to die from lack of good reading

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sun, 22. Jan 06, 01:38

Since Kiwi is now on his holsin greece, probably 3 weeks plus!
I know how you feel though. Would love to see the next chapter of Rogues Return by SteveMill, but I think he's busy playing X3.
I'm gonna read through all the Terraformer Dreams next (tomorrow or later today as it's now back in the AM!) as I'm way behind on that! :)

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 30. Jan 06, 00:15

Hi guys.

Just got back home. Holidays were great, though, it was friggin' cold at times. Logged on here and noticed that I had forgotten to post the next chapter of FL :o :oops: I will do that in the next few minutes.

As for the next installment of this story, I hope to have something ready by next weekend. :roll:

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Tue, 31. Jan 06, 00:07

Glad you had fun! :D

Will have to catch up with FL later in the week though (Darned early start with a long day to look forward to!!!)

Return to “Creative Universe”