[SCRIPT] Sector Takeover v 1.7[Updated 1/10/06]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

How do you rate this script?

5- Excellent
68%
4- Good
18%
3- Average
7%
2- Poor
3%
1- Abysmal
4%

Total votes: 76

acrh2
x3

[SCRIPT] Sector Takeover v 1.7[Updated 1/10/06]

Post by acrh2 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:54

Sector Takeover v 1.7 (1/10/2006)
An X3: Reunion script by acrh2.

Download: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pvp/file ... er_v17.zip
Official thread: http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=117807

PURPOSE:
To allow a player to ultimately defeat his enemies by taking over their sectors.

Note: Check for important install/uninstall/update instructions at the end of this file.

HOW IT WORKS:
* Only foe sectors can be claimed. An appropriate adjustment to "Global Commands" menu under "Pilot" menu may be required: for example, to claim an Argon sector, the relation to Argon must be set to "Foe" and then transmitted to "all reachable properties". After the sector has been claimed, the relation can be set back to "Friend".

* In order to claim a sector, the player must destroy all stations in the sector, and build his own Trading Dock in the sector. The ownership of the sector will automatically go to the player within 5 sec. Alternatively, the player can first build his Trading Dock, then destroy all other stations in the sector.

* A player-owned Trading Dock can be marked so that it would not claim a sector (for example, those Tradings Docks used for commerce in pirate sectors). In order to do that, the player must rename the Trading Dock in question so that its name starts with "$" (dollar sign).

* If all player-owned Trading Docks in a claimed sector are destroyed, the ownership of the sector will immediately go back to the original race.

* Enemy sectors of the original owner race located within up to 4 jumps of the claimed sector will periodically send small raiding parties to destroy player's Trading Docks to take the sector back. The player must then defend his Trading Docks, and try to claim all enemy sectors of the same race in that part of the X-Universe.

* A new command "Sector Takeover options" command is now available under Command Console / Combat menu. This command, when executed, will send an incoming question to the player. The player must then exit out of the Command Console and check his logbook. Several options will now be selectable: "Toggle raiding parties" - allows to enable or disable raiding parties attacking player-owned Trading Docks, "Uninstall" - uninstalls the script, "Do nothing" - does nothing. Select one of the options and press the enter key to execute the option.

Version history:
1.7 - New functionality added - Combat command menu has a new option "Sector Takeover Options".

1.6 - Added automatic claiming of sector gates to prevent Xenon from respawning.

1.5 - Further gameplay tweaks - the frequency of rading parties and the distance from which they come (in sectors) will vary with the fighting rank of the player.

1.4 - Gameplay tweaks. Added the ability to mark certain Trading Docks to not claim a sector.

1.3 - Various speed optimizations. Fixed a bug related to Pirate raids. Added install and uninstall messages.

1.2 - Major update. Now only player owned Trading Dock stations can be used to claim a sector.
If there are enemy sectors of the same race as the original owner within 8 jumps of the overtaken sector, these sectors will periodically send raiding parties to destroy player's Trading Docks stations to take the sector back.

1.1 - Optimized sector releasing routine while fixing a very rare but possible bug when a player owned sector would be released without prior taking it over (for example, a bought sector).

1.0 - Original release.

INSTALL:
Unzip the archive into your X3 directory, eg "C:\Program Files\Egosoft\X3 Reunion". Make sure that your script editor is enabled (check official Egosoft "Scripts and Modding" forum for instructions).
Load your savegame or start a new game.

UNINSTALL:
Method 1(versions 1.7+):
Uninstall through the Combat command menu, wait 15 seconds, save the game, quit to desktop, then delete the script files from "scripts" directory which start with "SectorTakeover.", and the file "setup.SectorTakeover". Reload the game.
Method 2(all versions):
Execute SectorTakeover.uninstall script, wait 15 seconds, save the game, quit to desktop, then delete the script files from "scripts" directory which start with "SectorTakeover.", and the file "setup.SectorTakeover". Reload the game.

UPDATING TO A NEW VERSION: Please unstall the old version first as described above, then install the new version.
Last edited by acrh2 on Wed, 11. Jan 06, 03:55, edited 15 times in total.
C2Q 6700 @ 3.50 GHz, OCZ 2x2GB @ 400, EVGA Nforce 680 sli,
EVGA gtx 280 FTW , Mitsu DP 2070SB 22"
X-FI Fatal1ty, Klipsch 5.1 UIltra, Sennheiser HD555
2 x WD Raptor 74 + 2 x 150 GB Raid0, 850W + 430W PS

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 22:57

is it any station ?

it might be best if it was a trading stations
as a trading station can be used to define the owership of the sector

ceej6969
x3

Post by ceej6969 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:00

:D This sounds proper, thanks very much, this will add a whole other side to the game.

to all scripters and modders keeping me playing X3 like a zombie,
YOU ARE DA SHIZNIT

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:10

Cycrow wrote:is it any station ?

it might be best if it was a trading stations
as a trading station can be used to define the owership of the sector
Any station you desire.
As long as you have property there, it's yours. If you want to give it up back to Xenon/Khaak/any other race who originally owned it, destroy your station.

Blinki1984
x3

Post by Blinki1984 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:24

This is a great Idea, is it possible to enhance the skript by also using the enemy to conquer a sector? It would be great to watch sectors changing owners.

There is another mod calles race invasion mod. There the races are trying to defeat each other on different sectors. It would be great to combine those two mods.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=105154

Therefore it is nessecary to rebuild the stations after some time.
-> New stations belonging to the winning race will appear at the point the old ones stood

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:35

Awesome!

Sounds cool, thanks very much acrh2!

One question though, can you take over unknown sectors in this way?
Is it possible to set unknown to enemy and then take over the sector or is it notn possible?

Thanks again :D :D

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:40

bladeuk wrote:Awesome!

Sounds cool, thanks very much acrh2!

One question though, can you take over unknown sectors in this way?
Is it possible to set unknown to enemy and then take over the sector or is it notn possible?

Thanks again :D :D
Any race, including unknown. Just make sure to set to FOE, then transmit (Global Commands require transmitting to put them into effect).

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 00:31

New version now available with optimizations and a fix for a possible bug.
Please uninstall 1.0, then reinstall 1.1.
Upon uninstallation of 1.0, all taken over sectors would be returned to their original owners. But after installation of 1.1, the player will receive those sectors back.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

P.S. The script has now been tested to my best ability. Since, it's a fairly simple script, it should be bug free.

DIGSIN
x4

Post by DIGSIN » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 02:28

Just what i needed to start taking over the universe

I would have to agree with cycrow on the trading station otherwise people will start taking over sectors with the cheapest station available.

Are the previous owners going to try to reclaim the sector from you?

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 02:43

DIGSIN wrote:Just what i needed to start taking over the universe

I would have to agree with cycrow on the trading station otherwise people will start taking over sectors with the cheapest station available.

Are the previous owners going to try to reclaim the sector from you?
While I would disagree with Cycrow on the point of Trading Docks defining the ownership of sectors in X3 (there seem to be no way to get the ownership of a sector in an unmodified X3), if people demand it, I can implement it. It would be very simple.

The second point is fairly complicated. At the present time, it's outside the scope of this script. However, the idea seems rather appealing to me.
It shouldn't be too difficult to code. Just slightly time consuming.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 03:04

Taking over a sector is very cool, but it begins to be pointless if no one tries to take it from you. If you could somehow make it so that races will try to take a sector from you, that would be pretty damn cool.

You can either have something similar to LV's JTP script or you could do something like randomly spawn a race fleet in there which if they win and destroy all stations will attempt to build a station there and take the sector.

Also what I am curious is, can you rename a sector or is it possible to implement something where when you conquer the sector you can rename it?

DIGSIN
x4

Post by DIGSIN » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 03:07

The second point is fairly complicated. At the present time, it's outside the scope of this script. However, the idea seems rather appealing to me.
Was just a thought as i read somewhere that if you try to take over a sector for instance Paranid prime the original owners would try to take it back.

If this is true the code should already be in the game it just depends on if you can activate it with a script.

Just checked the manual and it says that if you attacked a sector that you wanted to take over the race would attempt to take it back. Suppose it depends on if your script turns this off somehow.

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 03:12

BlackRain wrote:Taking over a sector is very cool, but it begins to be pointless if no one tries to take it from you. If you could somehow make it so that races will try to take a sector from you, that would be pretty damn cool.

You can either have something similar to LV's JTP script or you could do something like randomly spawn a race fleet in there which if they win and destroy all stations will attempt to build a station there and take the sector.

Also what I am curious is, can you rename a sector or is it possible to implement something where when you conquer the sector you can rename it?
The reason why I wrote the script was to take over Xenon and Khaak sectors and prevent their spawning in those sectors. This would bring the conclusion to an otherwise neverending game with very little point to play (once you've reached certain amount of wealth in your empire, which I have).

The possibility to take other sectors belonging to "friendly races", is a side effect.

I do like the idea of the races trying to retake their old sectors though.
Right now I am thinking in terms of sending raiding parties from random nearby sectors beloning to those races, trying to destroy player's property to retake the sector.

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 03:14

DIGSIN wrote:
Was just a thought as i read somewhere that if you try to take over a sector for instance Paranid prime the original owners would try to take it back.

If this is true the code should already be in the game it just depends on if you can activate it with a script.

Just checked the manual and it says that if you attacked a sector that you wanted to take over the race would attempt to take it back. Suppose it depends on if your script turns this off somehow.
The god engine does this by simply spawning more stuff in overtaken sectors, which I disable by changing the ownership, which was the whole point of this script.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 03:58

I understand your initial reasons for the script, I am just saying that you could create a whole new aspect for the game, one in which I think that most people would greatly enjoy and that is takign sectors and having to defend them against invasions by the various races. So if you could implement that whole aspect then the game could become more like a conquest game for those who wish to do that, I am one of those. I would think the game would be so much more fun if I could defend conquered sectors from a race trying to take it from me, and it shouldnt have to be just the race I took the sector from, if you could make it so that races you have very bad relations with attack you, that would be awesome.

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 04:55

Is there any way at all, to be able to rename sectors? Without the galaxy editor, im talking ingame via a script.
Also, how does the sectors become yours? Is the designated race just switched to Argon, or how does it work in pure gameplay terms?
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 06:10

Baleur wrote:Is there any way at all, to be able to rename sectors? Without the galaxy editor, im talking ingame via a script.
Also, how does the sectors become yours? Is the designated race just switched to Argon, or how does it work in pure gameplay terms?
One cannot rename a sector via scripts. Sectors aren't regular objects like ships and stations. For example, one cannot attach a local variable to a sector. But one CAN chang the race to which a sector belongs.

This is how the sector becomes yours in the script. Owner race of a sector is changed to the special "Player" race. This is the special built-in race to which all player owned propety belongs.

When the sector becomes the property of a player, it's description changes in the Universe navigation map. For example, if the name of the player by default is "Julian", then a Xenon sector would now belong to "Julian". I hear that it's the same mechanism as in the BBS missions where you can buy Unknown sectors from Teladi.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 06:33

Acrh, that was what I was talking about, the BBS Mission where you can buy the unknown sector, I have not done the mission myself but from what I hear you are able to rename the system as well, so if that is the case then there must be a way to rename sectors with a script of some kind.

--Also any ideas on how to make what I said a little earlier work, about races trying to take the sector from you, I suppose it would work something like the race wars mod from X2?

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 07:28

Oh nice!! :D I'll give it a try asap, but what about this?
For example i built a Crystal Complex in Hatikwas Faith, and it was the only station in that sector, so if i had your script back then that sector would change from Pirate to Player, right?
Now, the boring boron just built a rastar refinery or something there, does that affect the ownership?

What im asking is, if you own a sector, will that sector be a forbidden sector for the npc races to build in? Or will any npc station that is newly build in a player owned sector, make that sector neutral (or whatever) again?
I would like npc's to still be able to build stations in my sector i own, then all the same economy stuff is still the same, and if i wouldnt want it, i could just annihilate the TL's.
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 09:43

MAJOR UPDATE:

1) By popular demand, only Trading Docks can now be used to take over sectors.
2) Nearby enemy sectors will try to take the overtaken sector back by periodically sending small rading parties to destroy player's Trading Docks.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”