[MOD] Enhanced BBS (Less talk, more missions)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ryuujin
x3

[MOD] Enhanced BBS (Less talk, more missions)

Post by Ryuujin » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:18

From the read me:
// ENHANCED BBS MOD for X3: REUNION
// By Ryuujin (Ryuujin_0@Yahoo.co.uk)
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

After landing at my 20th Trading dock in my TP, and having failed to find a tour or transport mission within my rank I decided it was time for a change. So I simply ripped out the superflous trash, and hey presto, we have a mod.

This alteration basiclly removes all the non-functional stuff, cute stories about how 3 legged squidrays who saved a drowning baby Paranid and whatnot, so you just get the paying jobs, gambling and economic event reports. The plot stuff is left in too so it should be safe in story mode.

The read me says it all really. Cuts out the random chit chat, and leaves in just the meaty BBS offers. If you have nay problems, or suggested mods I should combine it with, just say.

Edit:
This mod should not adversely affect any BBS add on scripts, such as Bounty Hunter Guild, or Engine Overtuning
^_- thanks for the reminder.

Attention: This mod doesn't seem to be as beneficial as initial testing showed. You can still get the file but, I don't think it's as beneficial as I'd hoped.

DOWNLOADS - Thanks to DrunkenPirate for hosting.
Enhanced BBS
Enhanced BBS + Cockpit Callback (Full Credit to Galaxy613 for bringing back the cockpits)
Last edited by Ryuujin on Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:33, edited 7 times in total.

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:25

Sounds good. I'l give it a try when I download it. Currently when I select the free type, it just sits there saying that I have requested the file, and nothing happens.

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:27

sounds good.

but will it cut out scripted BBS' aswell such as cycrows bounty hunter and overtune etc.

cheers

stevio

Ryuujin
x3

Post by Ryuujin » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:28

Nope - well, I'm not *certain* but I'm 99.9% sure it will not effect any BBS add on scripts/mods since they use a seperate file that adds onto this one.

Bendy: Yeah that service is a total advert whore, it makes you wait in a queue if there's a lot of users (the time is listed near the bottom). Like I said if anyone has any suggestions where I should stick it. (BESIDES the obvious)

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:34

ok cool,

great idea, gets annoying flicking through seeing "fires rage out...." "xenon found then bombed"

cheers

stevio

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:39

:o 33 minutes wait? Surely someone has somewhere that it can be hosted? If not, I guess I shall just have to wait.

Ryuujin
x3

Post by Ryuujin » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:43

Ouch, never seen it that long, said 9 minutes for me. But I've never tried using that service during "American hours", internet is always busiest around now.

Shada
x3tc

Post by Shada » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:52

Encountered one problem. I used the cockpit version, but my Split Mamba's cockpit disappeared.

Also, the system I arrived in (where I last saved) had no BBS messages at all in any of it's stations. Not really a problem though, as I assume it's fixed if I leave the system then come back in.

Other than that, it works just as it should.

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 20:53

Get your PREMIUM-Account now! Instant access! (Or wait 33 minutes)
Its just one big wait, and the problem is it doesn't go down, so I don't know how long it has now :oops:

Ryuujin
x3

Post by Ryuujin » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:02

Hrm. Have you tried exitting and then returning to your ship? (This happens sometimes when enabling a cockpit mod for the first time)

Also are you running any other mods? When I tested it, any given station always had at least 1 mission.

Shada
x3tc

Post by Shada » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:06

Ryuujin wrote:Hrm. Have you tried exitting and then returning to your ship? (This happens sometimes when enabling a cockpit mod for the first time)
Yep, I switched to a Harrier, a Demeter and a Jaguar and they all had cockpits. Only the Mamba lost it :/

I also tried changing systems, docking and undocking and jumping halfway across the universe.

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:07

This sounds great.

I'm using the cockpit callback mod as well. So I should then download the 'Enhanced BBS + Cockpit Callback'-version? (just to be sure before I get in a 30 min queue).

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:15

Ahhhhh! :o . I kept refreshing it to see how long left. Then when I refreshed it again it said that I am already downloading a file, and I can't do anything. I am not downloading a file, I'm WAITING to download a file. Oh well, back to the end of the queue again :oops:

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:16

http://hosted.filefront.com/DrunkenPirate

Uploaded them both to Filefront if that's ok, original readme intact.

No wait on any servers.

Ryuujin
x3

Post by Ryuujin » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:16

Shada: Sounds like i may need test this a bit mroe thoroughly

X-it: Yeah get the one with the cockpit callback bundled. That'll give you cockpits as well as the BBS alteration, Although I'm not so sure it was as beneficial as it first seemed. *goes test it more*

Drunken: Yay thanks :)

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 21:25

:D Finally got it now thanks to drunken pirate. Now I just have to wait until the patch so I can actually play X3 for more than a minute. The sound loop bug is the only problem I have in the whole game, but it is consistant.

Shada
x3tc

Post by Shada » Fri, 16. Dec 05, 22:07

I decided to try it out again. The Mamba (it's a vanguard, if that makes any difference) still lost its cockpit. I even bought a new ship, the split M4 (forgot the name of it) to check and yes - it kept the cockpit. So it's only the mamba vanguard that's lost the cockpit so far in my game.

I then flew around for a bit, docking at random stations. I docked at around 10 stations I think, and only one (an ore mine) actually had a job for me. Everything else just had an empty BBS.

Quite odd, really, considering the first time I tried this mod I saw a load of BBS missions around Emperor Mines. Now, there's almost nothing at all :/

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Sun, 18. Dec 05, 03:06

Shada wrote:Quite odd, really, considering the first time I tried this mod I saw a load of BBS missions around Emperor Mines. Now, there's almost nothing at all :/
Are others having problems with this as well? I have installed many BBS scripts now and have a very crowded BBS, so this mod would be useful. But from Shada's problems I'm hesitant to install it.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 01:52

Needs updating for 1.4 and 1.4.02, the rock collection and 'ship done with task' notifications are giving readtext errors.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 02:42

Don't know if the OP cares, but I updated the mod for use with X3 version 1.4.02 at the link below.

http://myweb.cableone.net/sarnold1/no_trash_bbs.zip

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”