An X3 Editor?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

RogerWilko
x3

An X3 Editor?

Post by RogerWilko » Sun, 11. Dec 05, 23:11

Hi,

I recently discovered the 'unkown' Terran M1 ( I think its called the Odin) and I would like to use it as a flag ship (I have nothing better to do until the plot bugs are fixed) but I cant equip any weapons.

I have been reading that using an editor like Doubleshadows can help me equip it with any weapons I like, not just the Terran Magnetic cannons.

However on downloading Doubleshadows editor it said I need some runtime files from his site, so I downloaded them and *BOOM* my anti virus software goes crazy and I have a trojan on my system. :evil:

So my question is, are there any other editors I can use to change the Odins stats so I can equip any weapons I want?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 06:49

I'm surprised you had that problem. No one else who has downloaded his editor has complained of virus issues.
Instead of letting the installer download the libraries, try manually downloading them from his site and installing them. Maybe your computer doesn't like the fact that the installer is trying to connect to the internet to get the libraries. (if that's what it's doing)
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 09:11

These issues have occured to some 4 people in the past 2 years.

There is nothing I can do with it. Of course all the files are virus clean as I'm running eTrust antivirus with non-stop database update all the time. I've checked the files on the web right now and found nothing.

This is very likely problem between your antivirus software and the Nulsoft Install System (NSIS) - a program which I use to write all the installers.

What antivirus are you running? Isn't it Avast! by a chance?

Anyway there is no similar program to X3E, so you will either have to take the risk and install the runtimes or find yourself a better antivirus...

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 09:15

I use avast 4 pro and did not have any issues with the download of X3ED/X3MM or it's prerequisite vb files.

RogerWilko
x3

Post by RogerWilko » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 17:31

I do use Avast! antivirus, never had any problems before. So I asked my housemate to download the program on his comp, following this threads advice. He uses Norton and he got the same alert. 'Trojan Wgen 37' or something.

You might need to check your system mate.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 17:38

some virus scanners r getting ovely strict and flag up any program that maniuplates files or register as a virus regardless weather it is or not

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 17:40

I think the problem lies not in the libraries provided by Doubleshadow, but in the fact that he uses an installer library that may be utilized by some less than reputable programs available on the internet, and the antivirus software is simply assuming that it in a virus because it uses that installer library. If you install the libraries, and then delete the original installer, you will find that Avast will no longer complain about a trojan, as there is certainly not one installed.

RogerWilko
x3

Post by RogerWilko » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 18:56

I shall give it a try, but if it screws up my computer, I'm sending my fleet of M1's after you all! :lol:

RogerWilko
x3

Post by RogerWilko » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 19:27

If you install the libraries, and then delete the original installer, you will find that Avast will no longer complain about a trojan, as there is certainly not one installed.
No sorry, tried this and my antivirus still went mad. So did my mate's, the one with Norton 2005. I asked Avast! to send a report to Alwil software, and I emailed them explaining what the problem is, im waiting to hear back from them soon.

In the meantime I would double check your server Doubleshadow. So end my short time in X3 modifying :(

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 21:04

Just another false positive I'm betting. :D

If you want I can modify the Terran M1 for you and post a link to a mod. Then when you have the AV issue sorted you can always try downloading again. :thumb_up:

RogerWilko
x3

Post by RogerWilko » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 22:03

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That would be great thanks! :D

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 11:20

Here are the results of todays scans performed on both VBRuntime_install.exe and X2E_runtime2_install.exe files:

Code: Select all

Symantec Antivirus 10.0
database 12.12.2005
all clean

Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus 7.1.5
database 13.12.2005
all clean

AVG Anti-Virus 7.1 (30 days trial version)
database 12.12.2005
all clean

Avast! 4.6 Home Edition
database 1.12.2005
found: Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
So the score is 3 good to 2 bad (avast and your norton). I installed the Avast Home Edition and scaned the files and get the same error as you. But when I scanned the libraries which are compiled into the install executable, avast didn't found anything. Of course - you can hardly find more paranoic network than ours (unless it's completely cut out off the internet of course).

But I did another try and looked at NSIS home page and discovered that there is newer version available. So I recompiled the installers and Avast no longer complains.

Try downloading the new libraries again. I no longer have any virus reports from Avast. Furthermore there is MD5 checksum provided at the download page so you can verify that the files haven't been altered (although that's unreliable, I can digitally sign them if you want :) )

Avast sucks, NSIS rulez [ external image ]
Last edited by doubleshadow on Tue, 13. Dec 05, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 16:24

Modified Terran Odin mod here

If you need help installing the mod just PM me. :D

RogerWilko
x3

Post by RogerWilko » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 19:55

cool,

Thanks to both of you! I just had to reformat my system 2 weeks ago because of a virus, thats why I was being so OTT about a virus.

Thanks again.....A modding I will go...etc etc
P4 2.4
1.5 Gb RAM
SB Live! 5.1
Geforce 6600 256MB Ram

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”