EVE ONLINE: X UNIVERSE Channel!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Antilogic
x3tc

EVE ONLINE: X UNIVERSE Channel!

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 22:39

Hey all.

As their are quite a few X players, playing eve online, I decided it would be a nice idea to have a X channel! Therefore I created one (odd that)

Channel Name is "X UNIVERSE" (without the quotes, and yes i know the name is a bit DER).

You can access the channel by clicking on your neocon ingame(bar on the left), select "channels and mailing lists", then click "create/join", and then enter the channel name "X UNIVERSE".

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by Antilogic on Fri, 27. Oct 06, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:53

Great idea except the name EGOSOFT is the intellectual property of EGOSOFT and any use of said name should only be done with permission of EGOSOFT :wink:
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 00:06

You had better be kidding or ill come round and shoot some warp core stabbing **** :P

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 00:07

I for one would check with Forum admins Titan.
Egosoft Wiki

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 00:10

Well I pmed The_Abyss...

But I dunno how it could be a problem, i mean fansites use the word constantly, and I could always put a Copyright Egosoft in the channel MOTD :P

Kaot
x3

Post by Kaot » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 00:25

To repeat my opinion of what I posted in channel :P

Just naming a channel would be in fair use I suppose as there is no comercial intent, it purely serves as a discussion of a product or party.

This would be the same as naming a channel on IRC "Quake III" or the same as using it in this forum.

Kick me if I'm wrong :)
Something clever goes here!

Koderic
x2

Post by Koderic » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 00:27

This is a test, this is only a test of the emergency broadcast system.
The system in your area is conducting a test of the emergency broadcast system.
If this was an actual emergency, please panic and run for the hills.
Thank you and have a nice life, whats left of it, that is....

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 13:35

Kaot wrote:To repeat my opinion of what I posted in channel :P

Just naming a channel would be in fair use I suppose as there is no comercial intent, it purely serves as a discussion of a product or party.

This would be the same as naming a channel on IRC "Quake III" or the same as using it in this forum.

Kick me if I'm wrong :)
your wrong but I won't kick you :wink: it is not the same EGOSOFT is the name of a Game Developer, Titan created a channel using EGOSOFT'S name to do so could be construed as being set up by ES employee or representative, as an ES employee would not do this, then nore should Titan have done so. :roll:

This matter is now closed and in the hands of ES so I will now lock post
Egosoft Wiki

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 12:57

Topic unlocked. The channel name has been re-named and I understand the OP will update his post shortly.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

thetack
x3tc

Post by thetack » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 13:39

can i show my complete ignorance of eve what the hell is a channel

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 13:44

The_Abyss wrote:Topic unlocked. The channel name has been re-named and I understand the OP will update his post shortly.
Done.

can i show my complete ignorance of eve what the hell is a channel
A ingame chat area.

eldarmark
x4

Post by eldarmark » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 04:15

So... if I'm enjoying X3's fighting and X3's trading, will I enjoy EVE? I heard it was mostly clicking on menus and watching stuff happen.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 05:28

You will if you find a good guild to plug into. Going solo sucks... But you might not enjoy paying $180 a year to play it.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

eldarmark
x4

Post by eldarmark » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 05:28

Oh, the MMO fee isn't a big deal to me. How's the combat?

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 05:37

eldarmark wrote:Oh, the MMO fee isn't a big deal to me. How's the combat?
Intense 4 hour long fleet battles fought over territory with supercapital ships dieing.

I'll point you to the discussion thread here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... start=1110

and my starters guide posted in that thread:
kethalpak wrote:I have been supporting my eve addiction over 4 accounts for 2 years now :D

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can :)

Calling Eve online a game is kind of an understatement. The eve online universe is huge and there is no one playstyle that just 'is' like in some games. Everyone plays Eve in their own way.

In eve, you exist as a part of the elite spaceship pilots commonly refered to as a 'pod pilot'. This name comes from the fact your character controls their spaceship from an egg shapped pod at the heart of your ship. Your POD also serves as an escape capsule if your ship is destroyed. The backstory says that being a 'pod pilot' allows you greater controll of your ship compared to typical 'bridge crews' due to the neural interface of your pod. Your character literally becomes the ship they are flying.

Currently it is not possible to step out of your pod and explore stations, but it is planned in an expansion called 'Ambulation' which should be released some time this year.

Ship piloting is not done from a cockpit like in x3, but is kinda difficult to explain, so the best advice I can give you is give it ago yourself :)

You have the ability to customise the abilities of your ships through module slots. These come in 3 varieties: High power, medium power and low power. You will have a different number of avaliable slots on your ship depending on the ship type and the race of the ship. Module slots allow you to fit equipment such as weapons and repair modules.

There are many different classes of ships and each one with a different purpose and bigger does not always mean better. The bigger a ship is, the slower is becomes and it will have trouble shooting smaller targets.

The primary combat shiptypes are (in order of increasing size): Frigate, Cruiser, Battlecruiser and Battleship.
Combat Capital Ships: Carrier, Dreadnaught, Mothership, Titan.
Non-combat ships: Mining Barges, Industrial ships (cargo haulers)
Non-Combat capital ships: Capital Industrial, Freighter (cargo haulers bigger brother)

Most ships have a more advanced version that is ment to expand upon the roles of their basic (tech 1) counterparts.

You start of with a basic frigate and 5000 ISK. Your rookie frigate comes with a civilian gun and a civilian mining laser. To get a bigger ship you need to train your skills to the minimum requriements to fly it. For example, if you want to fly a cruiser class ship, your will require:
Frigate lvl 4
Spaceship Command lvl 3
Cruiser lvl 1

There are thousands of skills that can be trained in eve and each one will open up more play styles and allow you to use better equipment. To use a certain item, you must first have the prequiste skills. It will take currently 29 years to train all avaliable skills, with new skills being added in every patch, it will not be likely 1 person will ever train all the skills avaliable.

Skills can be trained up to 5 levels and have various ranks assigned to them. The higher the level you train a skill, the longer it takes to reach the next level. For example, to train a rank 1 skill from lvl 3 to lvl 4 will take a day or 2. To train that skill from lvl 4 to lvl 5 can take at least a week. The higher the rank of the skill, the more skill points are required to attain the next level.

Your attributes, (memory, willpower, intelligence, perception, charisma) will effect how long it will take to train a skill. Each skill has a primary attribute and a secondary attribute assigned to it. You can increase these attributes by traning the 'learning' skillset. I can not stress how important this is as it can increase the speed at which you train skills up to 3x.

There are 4 playable races in eve, the Amarr, the Caldari, the Gallente and the Minmatar. No one race is the best to play, each one has their own advantages and disadvantages. If you choose to start as a Caldari for example, you are not just limited to flying caldari ships for the rest of your eve life, you can learn skills to fly the other races ships. The choice of races only determines your starting skills and starting location.

Guilds are refered to in Eve as Corporations and are run like businesses, but their true motive may not always be profit. Every player is in a corporation. When you first start eve, you will be apart of a NPC corporation and will have the option of choosing to become a member of a player corporation. While you do not have to leave your NPC corporation, I strongly advise that you do, as eve rewards teamwork. There exists thousands of corps, each with a different purpose or playstyle and I suggest you find your playstyle before joining a corporation so you can find the right one for you :)

Corporations can join Alliances. These alliances are groups of corps and can exist of a multitude of purposes. Alliances allow multiple corporations to act as one while still retaining their individual identities.

Eve online is a harsh universe. Player vs player combat is non-consentual, however, this does not mean you will be greifed out of the game whle your still a newbie, there is some level of deterence against being attacked in a certain area of space. There is a Risk vs Reward system in eve in that the greater risk you take, the bigger the rewards.

There are over 7000 solar systems (as of this post) in eve. Each one has their own security rating ranging from 1.0 to 0.0.

Every person in eve has a security index assained to their character and it ranges from +10 to -10. If your security status becomes too low, your are prevented from entering the higher security systems. If you do attempt to enter these systems, your ship will be killed by the faction navy, but your pod will be safe.

Solar systems with a rating of 1.0 to 0.5 are called highsec, or empire space. In high security space, there is an NPC Police faction called CONCORD that are on constant patrol. If you are attacked unprovoked in Highsec, CONCORD will appear (spawn) and proceed to kill the offending parties ship. However, this does not mean you are completely safe, CONCORD provide consequences to actions, you can still be legaly killed by someone before CONCORD kills them. Attacking another playeer unprovoked in highsec space will result in a loss of security status.

Low security space is classified as 0.4 to 0.1 security rating space. If you are attacked by another player in lowsec space, concord will not appear and BBQ your foe. You are free to attack and be attacked by another player, but doing so will still result in a loss of security status. If you are attacked at a jump gate or a space station, your attacker will be shot by the sentry guns. This can spell death for small ships.

0.0 space, or nullsec, is lawless space. Here there is no concord, no sentry guns and you do not incur a loss of security status. In 0.0 space, items that can not be used in losec or highsec become avaliable to use. areas of 0.0 space can be claimed as sovereign territory by player run Alliances and this opens up more gameplay options. There are constant wars fought over territory and the best resources.

There are many different things you can do in eve and you are only limited by the skills you have trained at that time. If you have trained your character to be a combat character, you can also train them to trade aswell. You are not stuck in one roll.

The proffessions in eve are numerous and very broad. You could be a miner who sells their minerals for a profit. You could be a miner who mines minerals and later manufactures ships for a profit. You could trade, fight, you can be an explorer thanks to the exploration proffession. You could be a mission runner. You could be a scientist who researches blueprints to improve their manufacturing effeciency for a price. The choice is yours.

Dieing in eve is something that can carry with it a harsh penalty. When your ship is destroyed, a random amount of modules will survive the explosion and can be collected from your wreck. Other people can loot your wreck though and steal your stuff. Dieing is not a trivial thing in eve and can become quite expensive.

If someone shoots your pod, you will die. When you die, you are revived at the location you have set your medical clone to. This medical clone will keep a certain amount of skillpoints in the case of your death and it is always best to make sure the amount of skillpoints it keeps is higher than the amount you currently have. The more skillpoints a clone keeps, the more expensive it becomes.

Well, I hope that has helped you somewhat :)
[ external image ] [ external image ]
The cake is a lie, but the cube is forever!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 09:52

Aside from the issue of digging up ancient threads, let's just have one EVE thread please.

Return to “Off Topic English”