[Script] Turret Commands plugin *needs testing

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

moggy2
x3ap

[Script] Turret Commands plugin *needs testing

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 20. Aug 06, 18:08

Download: http://www.xai-corp.net/project/XaiCorp-TC

Provides 2 new commands:
- Turret Fighter Defense
- Turret Attack Capital Ships

Different weapons are better suited to different types of target, fighters or capital ships, now with these commands you can match the target selection of your turrets to the type of weapons installed.

This hasn't yet been tested. It needs someone who is familiar with fleet combat involving capital ships at fighters to evaluate it.

Red Spot
x3

Re: [Script] Turret Commands plugin *needs testing

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 20. Aug 06, 19:21

moggy2 wrote: It needs someone who is familiar with fleet combat involving capital ships at fighters to evaluate it.

You could have asked if I liked to look at it ...
(sorry .. aro. joke ...:D)

Anyway I've said all I need to say about such commands in the last few post of my turret-defense topic ... ;)

G

vampirecosmonaut
x4

Post by vampirecosmonaut » Sun, 20. Aug 06, 21:17

Does this command set utilize any weapons switching?
The first documented attempt in human history to use a rocket for spaceflight
was made in the 16th century by a Chinese Ming dynasty official named Wan Hu.
The resultant explosion presumably killed him.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Sun, 20. Aug 06, 23:16

GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ow i am verry interested by your script guys i am borred to see my CPP canons make fire on thoses ******* fighters

thanks for your script! i will test it tomorow.
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 00:19

vampirecosmonaut wrote:Does this command set utilize any weapons switching?
nope.

vampirecosmonaut
x4

Post by vampirecosmonaut » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 02:41

moggy2 wrote:
vampirecosmonaut wrote:Does this command set utilize any weapons switching?
nope.
Then what's the point of this script in light of Red Spot's turret script?

Cedrk
x3tc

Post by Cedrk » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 09:09

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

downloading now

Thanks moggy2, testing now.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 12:51

si i have tested the script and it's working.
-> the fighter defend turrets hit only the fighters and only if they are attacking me
:wink: -> the capitals ship attac turrets hit capital ships and stations when they are in fire range. :thumb_up:

But i don't know who is it with M6 class ship... which turret will hit thoses ships??? :?

so it's a good job and thank you it's verry interesting for battles strategies :wink:
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

ORIOLE
x2

Post by ORIOLE » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 13:03

Nice, :)

This script makes sooo much more sense than Red Spot's Turret-Defense. I like to keep things realistic. First of all, these weapons are mounted and to change a large weapon to another during a battle instantaneously is a bit wishful thinking.

But a script that assigns commands to turrets individually is the way to go. Thx moggy2 for a great script :)

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 16:51

Général Grievous wrote: But i don't know who is it with M6 class ship... which turret will hit thoses ships??? :?
I believe M6's are classed as 'big ships' so you'd want to use the attack capital ship command to pick on them first.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 02:06

@ORIOLE

You apparently never watched NPC ships turrets switch weapons have you. Realistic is not in the eyes of the beholder in this case.

Besides, if you want to use the scripts, you have to pack the right weapons anyway. PPC's for cap ships, and the lightest/FLAK weapons for anti-fighter. And they will only do one at a time. And (unless the script does it for you) you have to switch the weapons out for the right capabilities. RS's will switch as needed.

I'd rather have auto switching than micromanaging anyday.
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 03:12

Jakesnake5 wrote:@ORIOLE

You apparently never watched NPC ships turrets switch weapons have you. Realistic is not in the eyes of the beholder in this case.

Besides, if you want to use the scripts, you have to pack the right weapons anyway. PPC's for cap ships, and the lightest/FLAK weapons for anti-fighter. And they will only do one at a time. And (unless the script does it for you) you have to switch the weapons out for the right capabilities. RS's will switch as needed.

I'd rather have auto switching than micromanaging anyday.
Yeah, me too. This is how the old gunnery crews worked in the X2 Bonus Pack script. Beats me why Egosoft didn't include that one in X3. :?

In vanilla X3, the NPC ships get this functionality but player ships don't. That doesn't really seem fair to me.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 04:54

Nanook wrote:...In vanilla X3, the NPC ships get this functionality but player ships don't. That doesn't really seem fair to me.
Looking at the scripts, it's a very easy thing to fix. Makes you wonder if it was just missed during all the changes (like the jump command in the initial release).

adding the function to my scripts is similarly easy. I might just do that.

AcidB
x3

Post by AcidB » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 06:30

Ive tried it yesterday and i need to say...good work.

First, i used the RC. Turret Defence from Red. But, i found out, it didnt work i like. I got multiple weapons on board and the script from red switched his weapons regardless whitch ship the turrets are attacking.
For example, the ppcs are attacking fighters although the ship got some flaks in his cargo. Im becoming tired to see my ship shooting at fighters with his ppc, dont hit them and have low energy in a few seconds.
Maybe i did a wrong configuration.
Nevertheless your script do so how it should but without switching weapons or energymanagment. PPC attacked big ships....flaks only fighters.

But...why do the turrets attack only until i(am?) be attacked? (grml....difficult english grammar)
I mean, why dont attack my turrets first? (example. i get a bbs missions to kill some bad guys which are flying from one sector to another)

Acid

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 12:59

Do I sense two approaches?

1. Target is chosen, now choose weapons to match it.
2. Guns are chosen, only shoot matching targets.

There are three questions for a turret:
1. What to shoot at?
2. When to shoot?
3. Which guns are "best"?

The default "Attack any" and "Protect" are basically "shoot first" and "you may only return fire". The "Missile Defence" in X2 was "Attack any, but shoot missiles first". The X3 version is "Protect, and shoot missiles first".

The X2 AEGIS had at least two strong points: it chose weapons to match target, and it used light guns to turn the turret to new target. Traversing PPC is very slow. X2 had more difficult weapon selection: PPC had range and speed, but GHEPT was most powerful on hull. X3 guns are more linear.

The X3 "Attack my target" seems to target other ships, if the official target is out of range. I sense AEGIS influence on that too. But the guns do not shift back to main target as needed. Very keen on killing their own victim first.

"Do not attack BigShips" does not sound necessary. They are usually out of range and thus do not end up as targets that often. "Only attack BigShips" makes sense on PPC turret.

I've looked (in disgust) how NPC Titan jumps into middle of XI K's and shoots PPC at at least three K's simultaneously. Sure, that is not a fair fight. At times I have hoped that the side turrets on my personal M2 would do the same. However, for personal M2 the vanilla approach of PPC on the front and all else on anti-fighter, take one opponent at a time, works rather efficiently. If you are in the middle, you cannot dodge enough, and then you die no matter how smart turrets you have.

But that is personal ship. Swapping FAA/PPC on the front turret only is humanly possible, with script or without.

It is the AI flown player ship that needs the help. OOS the power, IS the smarts. So which is more efficient? To choose targets wisely, or to change guns wisely? Which should be done first? Should one aim for the M2 first or are the fighters bigger threat? Take out Falcon or Buzzard first?

Simple scripts that do well-defined separate tasks are good. That leaves choice to the player. Competing scripts that may contain complex problems tend to turn people off.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 16:54

This script isn't an Attack all command, it waits for the to attack first. Also does it switch to missles when required?

so far RS turret is better.

DeBernd
x3tc

Post by DeBernd » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 16:51

I Really liked Aegis so much...
I also think it's good that you had to put some effort and money to geht it to work - finding the damn crew (took ages) and getting Aegis.
It's such a pitty Aegis isnt developed for X3. I heard there is a version, but it not working that well.
I personally find it really unrealistic for a PPC Turret to shoot at a Fighter that is 5 times faster than the PPC. Otherwise I Like RS-turrets. Its a killer against M6... I just wish you could say "Attack Fighters" or "Attack Capital". Unfortunately Red Spot doesnt want to implement that...
Apple MacPro 2,8 Ghz (2x Quadcore Xeon)
AMD Radeon 5770 (1GB RAM)
Bootcamp: Top Performance (X3 TC)
Mac: Poor Performance (X3 AP) :-((((

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 23:17

Last I heard, Aegis (german forums) was being developed, but stopped at X3 version 1.3. Don't know if they still doing it.
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 14:56

what I want is:

I think the engage fighters command should only use short range weapons like PACS, FAA, Mass drivers, PBE's etc, this will allow fighters to come into effective range before shooting at them.

I think that when you shoot at a fighter with PPC and hepts they turn away quicker and never get into FAA range.

The "engage capital ships command" should of course use PPC and other long range weapons.

vampirecosmonaut
x4

Post by vampirecosmonaut » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 17:59

Orion1632 wrote:what I want is:

I think the engage fighters command should only use short range weapons like PACS, FAA, Mass drivers, PBE's etc, this will allow fighters to come into effective range before shooting at them.

I think that when you shoot at a fighter with PPC and hepts they turn away quicker and never get into FAA range.

The "engage capital ships command" should of course use PPC and other long range weapons.
I also think it would be great if it worked that way.
Another good feature would be energy monitoring like is RS's script.
The ship will fire hepts when it shoots flaks at fighter too much, etc.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”