[MOD] Extended Complex Hub and Complex Node Bazaar [Updated 6/3/06]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Which race's Complex Construction Kit should I replace with the Extended Construction Kit?

Poll ended at Wed, 12. Apr 06, 02:35

Argon
57%
Boron
14%
Paranid
No votes
Split
No votes
Teladi
29%

Total votes: 7

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 18:30

The objects\cut and objects\v files are contained in 03.cat.
objects\cut\04906.pbd (the scene file for the Complex Hub) is updated in 04.cat. objects\v\10523.pbb is the actual model for the Complex Hub and doesn't appear to have been changed in any patch.
The files in the objects\stations\docks directory are the models/scenes for the individual docking structures. Why they put the Complex Hub in objects\cut and objects\v is something only the developers know and I don't really care about. :)

As far as I know, I'm the only person who has modified those two files, so there should be no other mods that have changed them.

What I could do instead of removing any of the docking arms is attach a third arm below the hub and put the capital ship dock there so the station would be able to handle: however many small ships the bay can hold, 20 TS/TP/M6, and a single M1/M2/TL
Doing it that way will definately cause any undocking cap ship to hit a bottom connection tube unless I make the dock accessible either from the side, or at an angle. The latter option might block the hanger when a ship is docked though.
I haven't even looked into it at all yet, but will see after work tonight.
There is a thin line between genius & insanity i have erased this line

Armegeddon's X3 scripts and mods

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Mon, 3. Apr 06, 15:23

Frequently Asked Question and Troubleshooting

1) You can not be in the same sector as an existing Complex Hub when first installing this mod. Doing so will cause your game to crash on load.

2) You cannot be in the same sector as an existing Complex Hub when installing an update for this mod. Doing so will cause your game to crash on load.

3) Removing this mod from a game that has the new Complex Hub loaded will cause a crash due to a corrupt save game. Do not do this.

4) No matter where you are when first installing this mod, or when updating to a new version, existing Compelx Hubs will not gain the additional docking spaces. It doesn't matter if you go through a billion gates, or save and reload till your harddrive melts, an existing Hub will only update the model, but not the docks.

5) In order to get the additional docking slots you must place a brand new Complex Hub. You can do this by either destroying the old one, or creating a small secondary complex near the first one and connecting them together. When you join to complexes together, one of the hubs will vanish, I'm not sure how the game determines which one. If the old Hub vanishes, then your new Complex Hub should have the new docking slots.
An uninstall script is included in the latest version that will destroy all Extended Complex Hubs and Complex Node Bazaars for you, and refund you what they cost you to buy.

6) It is strongly recommended to undock all of your ships from all existing Complex Hubs, and set the Hubs to not trade with other races, PRIOR to installing this mod. I have not been able to determine whether having ships docked makes any difference, but there is always the chance that some ships might disappear if you do not do this.

Any questions that get asked that are answered in this post will be referred back to this post.
Last edited by Armegeddon on Fri, 7. Apr 06, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Apr 06, 15:44

Now he tells me ! :o :o :o
Armegeddon wrote:1) You can not be in the same sector as an existing Complex Hub when first installing this mod. Doing so will cause your game to crash on load.

No, it didnt. Maybe means its not loaded properly I guess. Have to check.
2) You cannot be in the same sector as an existing Complex Hub when installing an update for this mod. Doing so will cause your game to crash on load.

Ditto.
3) Removing this mod from a game that has the new Complex Hub loaded will cause a crash due to a corrupt save game. Do not do this.

I better hope its not loaded properly then.
When you join to complexes together, one of the hubs will vanish, I'm not sure how the game determines which one.

The first one you select remains, the second is removed.
6) It is strongly recommended to undock all of your ships from all existing Complex Hubs, and set the Hubs to not trade with other races, PRIOR to installing this mod.

Not that I noticed. But again, the install may not have occured.

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Mon, 3. Apr 06, 17:56

I finally figured out those problems due to spending most of last night working on getting a hanger bay working correctly. Turns out the bay is too wide to use in the space between the long arms, but I was able to get it to fit on the side of the hub. Reason I noticed the problems with the updating of the mod was I tried loading the new design into a save game I had with the last design and spent 2 hours trying to figure out why I could only get 10 M6s to dock at one time and nothing else.

But I finally have the internal hanger working now. I loaded the station up with 20 M6s, and 30 M3s with no problem. Now just to figure out the Capital Ship dock and I'll release a new version.

Due to the problems with it not updating an existing hub, I think I will just release it as a seperate Complex Hub that can be bought instead of overwriting the original one so it is compatible with existing complexes.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 01:42

Armegeddon wrote: Due to the problems with it not updating an existing hub, I think I will just release it as a seperate Complex Hub that can be bought instead of overwriting the original one so it is compatible with existing complexes.
Thats an excellent idea, as long as the program will allow the NPC's to use it.

It gives the player the ability to dynamically add extra docking room as the complex grows and thats a great thing.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 02:44

Heh, with that, and the insane storage power of some of the fabs I just made. If there was a way to make said fab NOT produce anything, and just hold [x] ware, then there's your HQ. Er, you could set up a fab (of about any type I suppose) to use BHEPTs as a resource. Make it an XXL sized fab, it'll hold 100s if not 1000s of BHEPT.

But, the only problem that, is how fool the fab into thinking it's producing something, when it's not, and not using up your BHEPT to make [some] product. You could arbitrarily make a "fab" into a holding tank, but it'd be flashing all the time. Unless you set it's product to BHEPT, and it's resource to BHEPT. Hmm... [light bulb] If only it was that easy. :P

I'll be right back.....

Edit: Ok, not 100s/1000s, it still maxes it out at 160. But, some very interesting things:

1. With the fab (used a quickly added Chip Plant) set with BHEPT product, and resource, it didn't flash. In fact, it didn't do anything.
2. As mentioned, it's based on the ware's max# for storage. So, in thinking, if you had two of the "fabs", you could hold 320, etc, etc.

I really think this could work. Of course, you'd need a "storage" fab for every ware in the game, and that could be, well, rather cumbersome. I made it with a price tag of 500k, since it wasn't really "making" anything.

I'm intrigued now. But, I'm afraid that the ware amounts (max stock, 160 in this case) isn't something that can be changed, without really mucking up the rest of things.

But, if you only added the "storage units" you needed for your purposes, it might work.
Last edited by fud on Tue, 4. Apr 06, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 02:48

some sort of script to halt the production of a station in a complex would be great.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 03:05

You posted while I was editing. :D Read above. It'd take a serious effort of library-ing (heh), and you would prolly want to change the actual name of the units. Since targetting it will still say "Chip Plant X X L Alpha". At least with changing the name, Betty wouldn't say anything. :)

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 04:58

@fud: Actually, I was already planning on looking into a warehouse station after I finish the new Hub. I have a couple thoughts that might work, but want to try them before I say anything.

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 05:00

apricotslice wrote:
Armegeddon wrote: Due to the problems with it not updating an existing hub, I think I will just release it as a seperate Complex Hub that can be bought instead of overwriting the original one so it is compatible with existing complexes.
Thats an excellent idea, as long as the program will allow the NPC's to use it.

It gives the player the ability to dynamically add extra docking room as the complex grows and thats a great thing.
Not sure I understand what you're asking here. Do you want NPCs to build complexes, or are you asking if the new Hub will be in shipyards? If the latter, that will be taken care of by a script similar to what I used in the Complex Node Bazaar. If the former, not possible as there is no way to cause the script engine to connect stations with the complex kits.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 05:34

Armegeddon wrote:Not sure I understand what you're asking here. Do you want NPCs to build complexes, or are you asking if the new Hub will be in shipyards? If the latter, that will be taken care of by a script similar to what I used in the Complex Node Bazaar. If the former, not possible as there is no way to cause the script engine to connect stations with the complex kits.
No. Was trying to go somewhere completely different.

If you have 4 docking ports, with 5 docking positions in each, you have 20 ship capasity.

Will the NPC ships use the full 20, or will the gamecode limit them to using on the standard 10 ?

Where I'm coming from is that you can add any number of guns to the main gun list, they will even show on the hud, but the first 8 will ever fire or be selectable. Will this hold true for 10 docking positions or not ?

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 08:24

Docking is mostly script related. The only thing the script checks is whether the station has docking space available and if that ship is capable of docking at the station. If both conditions are met, then the ship will dock. For guns the problem is that unless you add additional gun points in the object/model for the ship, the game wont know where the additional guns should fire from. That is what's most likely preventing the ship from firing more than 8 guns at a time.
Doing in depth mods is more than just changing a couple values in Tships or Tfactories, unless you just want to modify base attributes. Adding additional things to a ship/station requires playing with the object files.
At first changing the models may seem complicated, but once you figure out what can/cannot be done, it becomes fairly simple if time consuming.
Last edited by Armegeddon on Tue, 4. Apr 06, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Apr 06, 08:27

Armegeddon wrote:Doing in depth mods is more than just changing a couple values in Tships or Tfactories, unless you just want to modify base attributes. Adding additional things to a ship/station requires playing with the object files.
I'm crawling as fast as I can :)

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 02:30

I've finally finished the (newly renamed) Extended Complex Hub.
This version will contain:
4 docking arms allowing upto 20 TS/TP/M6 class ships to dock simultaneously.
1 capital ship docking arm allowing a single M1/M2 ship able to dock
And an unknown number of M3/M4/M5 ships to dock internally (I stopped testing at 31 small ships.

The only problem that's preventing me from releasing this version right now, is I can't figure out how to create an additional Construction Kit/Complex Hub pair like the original 5. I think the references that allow a player to "Drop Station..." a Construction Kit and have it place a Complex Hub is hardcoded.
The only way I've been able to figure out to duplicate that method is to have my new Kit/Hub replace one of the existing sets. Question is which one to replace? I will still have a script that will place the new Kit into every shipyard so you can buy it from anyone.
I'm also going to merge this mod with my Complex Node Bazaar since they both will require a Tfactories change, so will be simplier to just combine them.
I'll post a picture of the new Hub later tonight. I've been working on this since 9pm last night and it's 7:30pm now and I need some sleep.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 02:46

Armegeddon wrote:The only problem that's preventing me from releasing this version right now, is I can't figure out how to create an additional Construction Kit/Complex Hub pair like the original 5. I think the references that allow a player to "Drop Station..." a Construction Kit and have it place a Complex Hub is hardcoded.
That is very likely.
I'm also going to merge this mod with my Complex Node Bazaar since they both will require a Tfactories change, so will be simplier to just combine them.
Thats a great idea.

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 02:51

Don't you ever sleep apricotslice?
Just about everytime I come here you're on posting somewhere, and I show up at different hours every day.
I thought I was the only person who slept wierd hours around here.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 02:56

I'm downunder, so my hours are very different to most. As it happens, I'm 2 hours out of bed at the moment, and was posting here to about 2amish. (went to bed, and got up again and spent 1.5 hours writing and then half an hour on the forum, then bed again.)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 03:06

Aussies don't need sleep. It's a proven fact in the scientific world. :)

Armegeddon
x4

Post by Armegeddon » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 19:15

Final version of the Extended Complex Hub will contain:
2x internal hanger bays (second added to keep hub looking symetrical and give two paths for ships to dock at so they don't cause too much of a traffic jam) offering nearly unlimited docking of M3/M4/M5 ships.
2x Quicklaunch bays to prevent undocking small ships from getting in the way of docking craft.
4x 5 port docking clamps offering upto 20 TS/TP/M6 ships to dock simultaneously
1x Capital ship docking arm allowing a single TL/M2/M1 to dock

Pictures:

The Extended Complex Hub with a Teladi Phoenix, and one of every major type of TS, TP, and M6 docked.
[ external image ]
Click HERE for larger picture.

Farther away view of above picture. The Phoenix is the largest ship in the game and it has no problem docking with the Hub. You can see that there is a connection tube running downwards from the back of the hub. The Capital ship docking arm is far enough forward that even wide-arse Boron ships can dock with no problem.
[ external image ]

Falcon entering one of the docking bays
[ external image ]

Distance view of a Nova entering a docking bay
[ external image ]
Click HERE for larger picture

Discoverer entering a docking bay. You can see part of the docking arms to the left.
[ external image ]

I need people to vote in the poll to determine which Race Kit/Hub combination I should replace with this Hub. If I don't have any votes by Tuesday I'll randomly choose one to replace.

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Wed, 5. Apr 06, 19:32

I must say, that looks like a great complex hub! :P Which also includes all the needs I was hopeing for. Good work, looking forward to new release. (I should have time to update my factories mod either tomorrow or friday)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”