FARNHAMS LEGEND: LAST Chapter (26) - March 2006

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

KiwiNZ
x4

FARNHAMS LEGEND: LAST Chapter (26) - March 2006

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 10:03

Chums, here is the final chapter of our translation of HelgeK's FARNHAMS LEGEND, masterfully re-written by Steve Miller and proof-read by myriads of forum members. Did I forget anything? :D

Hope you enjoyed the story! The book, as you are probably aware, is slightly different to the online version. So if you can get your hands on a paper back copy, go and get it!

Thanks again to all that contributed and also to those folks from the community that kept pestering us to finish it.

----------

CHAPTER 26

It is important that we never stop asking questions.

Albert Einstein

"It's just not fair," Elena said in a low voice. Brennan silently looked at her for a long while and then turned to gaze at the deep blue of the Argon horizon, right where the skies and the ocean met.
"No, I guess it's not," he said. A soft breeze arose, tugging the cuffs of his blue USC jacket.
Elena wiped a black strand of hair from her face. "I've not known many Teladi, but he was a very special saurian. Dammit, I'm going to miss him, you know!"
Brennan nodded solemnly. "I'd only known Nopileos for a short time, but he definitely grew on me."
Elena sighed. "Kyle, I'd like to meet his egg-brother Sissandras, and the Ceo, his grandfather. I'd like to tell them about what he did for us, and just how proud they should be of him."
"That’s a good thought, Elena."
Voices became audible ahead of the large hexagonal hovering platform Elena and Kyle stood on. Two more of those platforms hovered in the distance, about a hundred meters from each other, a couple of kilometres off the coastline. Elena glanced at them; a few men were running to the hand-railed rim of their platform, excitedly staring down at the calm sea below.
"So how's Ninu?"
"She's doing alright, considering the circumstances. Her mother died last week. Right now, she's arranging the ceremony at the Goner temple."
"Hard times," Elena said. "Excuse me if I'm being too curious, Kyle, but …"
"You are too curious."
"Gee! I knew that! So…?"
"There, she's coming," Kyle replied, pointing towards the rim of the platform. Obviously, he wasn't referring to Ninu. "Come on, let's go. Aren't you anxious?"
"So-so," Elena said vaguely, starting for the handrail anyway. The ocean, lethargically swashing two metres beneath the platform, was remarkably calm today, and what waves there were weren’t worth mentioning. "But aren’t we being a bit evasive?"
"Ninu and I are in love. As soon as I'm back from Earth …"
"You're a dreamer, Kyle. Seriously, a dreamer. But that's probably why I'm so fond of you."
"Well, I'm fond of you too, Lady Naysayer!"
Elena remained silent for a few moments. "I'm not a naysayer," she then said. "Never have been."
"Don't you want to go back to Earth, Elena? I honestly do, but my heart wants to stay here."
Elena took a step forward, gripped the handrail with both hands and looked down. Far below the clear surface of the freshwater sea, she could see a vague, bright silhouette, rising slowly closer.
"Of course I'd like to see Earth again some day." A little smile shone on her face now. "There's an old man on the promenade at Milano. He foretold that I'd be returning, once I got rid of my restlessness."
Brennan looked surprised, but also a little mischievous. "You feel restless? News to me. I've never noticed that!"
Elena thumped him in the ribs amicably. "Hey!” She complained, chuckling. "Right now, the thought of returning to Earth makes me more restless than the thought of staying here. I think I can accomplish more for Earth if I stay here. I've learned heaps, while you were playing cat and mouse!" She winked.
"Yeah, like how to brawl with fishermen. Look, over there!"
Gradually, some large fawn thing emerged from the sea. The clear water washed over it, pouring off of both sides, while the object surfaced, bit-by-bit. It was vaguely school rubber shaped, slanted at the bow and the stern. A few black and burnt looking streaks scored its dented, formerly white but now heavily stained flanks; one of them charring a stylized image of a four-legged man in front of a spiral nebula. The writing underneath the image read USC Getsu Fune.
"That's not a tear in your eye, is it?" Brennan asked suspiciously.
"Naw – just the wind. You know I never weep." Elena wiped her eye with her index finger.
"Of course you don’t. Hm. A few dents here and there, and the right-hand attitude jet at the stern is gone. I've seen worse."
"Now why doesn't that surprise me, test pilot? Once you are done with a space ship."
"Now, c'mon!"
"I'm just thinking the Nereide. Nine meters down is it? Well?" Elena looked at Brennan mockingly.
"O-kay. Thank you, Mr. State Attorney, Sir, I think I've heard enough!" Both of them chuckled and turned their attention back to the ongoing salvage operation.
By now, the Getsu Fune had risen almost halfway from the water, and it was possible to look inside the cockpit. It looked like the water hadn’t got in.
"Do you think it's going to work? Put her jump drive into the X and head home?"
Brennan looked thoughtful. "I do hope so. Or perhaps we can set the Getsu herself afloat again. Well, I say it'll work."
"Hey!" Something flashed into her mind which she hadn't told him before. "You know what I managed to get hold of? It's a guitar that once belonged to a man named Frank de Vries, of the crew of the Dragonfyre!"
"You're nuts! Do you know how far that dates back?"
"'Course I know that! But the guitar is over there in a storage hold!"
Brennan shook his head. "That's crazy. But, Lin. Tell me one thing. Please."
Elena looked at him attentively. He took a deep breath, stepped forward and clenched the handrail while the Getsu Fune emerged in her entirety.
"Since my first day in the Community of Planets, I've been stumbling over, well, you know loose ends. Everywhere. Do you know what I mean? And many of them fit each other somehow. Or they fit loose ends we brought with us from Earth."
"You mean, like tiles in a puzzle slowly taking shape?"
He nodded fiercely. "Yes, exactly! I may be wrong, but behind all of this, behind all those loose ends, those puzzle tiles – there is someone who fits tiles together, and shuffles them again. And ties up loose ends, or cuts them. Do you understand?"
"Absolutely."
"Yes. But what do you think the puzzle means, what’s the purpose behind the cutting and tying of loose ends?"
Elena looked at the Getsu as it was slowly guided towards the hovering platform she and Brennan were on. The water had almost drained from her flanks.
"I have no idea Kyle, not the foggiest notion. But I knew someone who was cruising half the universe with the answer stored in the memory banks of his on-board computer." She smiled. "I believe that, since we were given the answer once, we will be given it again. I really do."
She searched for the right words. "At any rate, I for one am going to look for it. Until my restlessness vanishes." She tapped the handrail pointedly with both hands. "Well then," she said, nudging her best friend amicably, "now let's have a look at the Getsu. Maybe Marc put the time he spent on the ocean floor to good use and developed some real intelligence!"
Brennan smiled absently, gazing into the sky. Somewhere up there, seventeen light-years straight ahead, and to the left at the third star, somewhere up there, Sol was twinkling beyond the haze of the newborn day. He let his eyes dwell just a little longer on that mystic, invisible spot in the sky that was so near and yet so far away. He reached into a pocket and touched Gisbert's morphing globe, letting it go without whispering the word in his heart.
"To develop some real intelligence," he echoed. "Perhaps that is exactly what they want from us."

THE END

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 19:19

Fantastic end to a fantastic story.
Well done and a BIG thank you to all involved in bringing us this great story.

:D :thumb_up:

Ahem! Nopileos? Pretty please...... with sugar on top? After red glow of course........ :D

The_Hypo
x3tc

Post by The_Hypo » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 21:35

I'm torn between :cry: because it's finished and :D because it was so good!

so basicly it one great big waste of... :wink: NAAH! LOVE IT! :D

Bye :)

Edit: Red Glow PWEASE! I'll send you a cookie!

the post is so unreliable these days hehe

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 22:07

Mastermue wrote:Fantastic end to a fantastic story.
Well done and a BIG thank you to all involved in bringing us this great story.

:thumb_up:

Ahem! Nopileos? Pretty please...... with sugar on top? After red glow of course........ :D
That is cool. It means we have about two years time :fg:

The_Hypo wrote:I'm torn between :cry: because it's finished and :D because it was so good!

so basicly it one great big waste of... :wink: NAAH! LOVE IT! :D

Edit: Red Glow PWEASE! I'll send you a cookie!

the post is so unreliable these days hehe
Ok, I'll continue once the cookie hits my porch :D

As for Farnhams Legend, the cliffhanger of Nopileos is similarly good! :thumb_up:

The_Hypo
x3tc

Post by The_Hypo » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 00:03

KiwiNZ wrote: Ok, I'll continue once the cookie hits my porch :D
Well that backfired :roll:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 04:41

Thanks for all your hard work, KiwiNZ.

It's a great read..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Mortel3
x3

Post by Mortel3 » Tue, 25. Apr 06, 14:30

So is there some place I can get the full online version of this whole story, in english or German?

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Wed, 26. Apr 06, 18:36

So far, no I don't think so.
KiwiNZ has a few stories on his website in PDF format, but not Farnham's Legend yet! Perhaps with Helge's permission he may be allowed to put it up in English.
Kiwi's on his hols right now though and won't be back until May, so no answer until them!

Mue

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Wed, 26. Apr 06, 19:01

Mortel3 you might want to reduse your avatar to 80X80 :wink:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 27. Apr 06, 00:16

Then go to the Extra Search and search the creative forum or "Farnhams Legend:" (all terms). That should give you all the chapters on one page of links.
In January 2004, KiwiNZ wrote:Out of 26+2 chapters, we are now at a point where 19+1 have been translated and some of those already re-written in a first version. So yay, we are closing in on the end but there is still plenty of work to be done.
If we only knew. :wink:
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Wed, 10. May 06, 21:29

I haven't dared compiling Farnham's Legend into a PDF because it is a published story. However, I asked Helge and he told me he is trying to fnd out if there are any objections. If not, I will add it to my site. :thumb_up:

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Fri, 12. May 06, 21:17

That'd be cool Kiwi.

[ external image ]

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sun, 4. Jun 06, 13:38

Haven't heard back from Helge yet. So don't have any news on this front, sorry. :(

Jaswolf
x4

Post by Jaswolf » Sun, 28. Sep 08, 14:00

Hi,

I wonder if i can gather all the chapters of this story in one file and put it online (.doc or .odt) without breaking any legal terms ?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 28. Sep 08, 14:14

Jaswolf wrote:Hi,

I wonder if i can gather all the chapters of this story in one file and put it online (.doc or .odt) without breaking any legal terms ?
Given that it was published as a book I find that very unlikely.

I'd also normally lock this as a ressurected thread (it's over two years old!!), but it's Farnham's Legend so I'll call this an exception... this time.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Jaswolf
x4

Post by Jaswolf » Sun, 28. Sep 08, 20:28

Ok, i won't do it.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Wed, 1. Oct 08, 23:52

Helge and I had this discussion back in the days and he also spoke about it with the publisher and consensus was to publish the chapters in the form I did but not a compiled version. This is completely understandable and, in fact, I consider it a luxury that we were allowed to have the story on this forum even after the book was published. Try to get your hands on the book if it hasn't sold out. It isn't expensive and allows for more convenient reading. :)

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Thu, 2. Oct 08, 03:12

@ KiwiNZ - KiwiNZ! [ external image ] Long time no see! Hope all's well with you!

@ esd - Hey there, hope you're all well. So that anti-thread-ressurection rule applies here in creative too?! :oops: I've definitely done this before. I always assumed this forum was exempt from that rule. I understood the purpose of that rule to be in preventing the spread of out-of-date information and to facilitate random topic discussion (Per CBJ here) - surely none of this really applies to fan-fics and created stuff?!
A lot of the best stuff on here dates back a while. So it'd be breaking/stretching the forum rules to post an "awesome story/track, thank you for sharing" at the end of Rogues, Dark Haven, a music track or something? Just so that I'm clear on this.

Cheers!

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 2. Oct 08, 20:47

Hey Zig :)

Yes, all good. Guess what taking my TEFL atm and also looking at taking some time out in East Asia :D I even had a new idea for my story the other day, while I was playing X3 again. So perhaps I'll find and take time to continue. I hope you are well, too.

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Mon, 29. Dec 08, 16:22

Amazing novel. I'm gonna try and see if I can get the real book now. Amazing end (Poor Noppi :() , I guess it'd be hopeless to wish a 2nd part, it's already great.

Now I know where some sector names come from. Just one doubt... Didn't the Earth Fleet jump to what's now called "Brennan's Triumph" and blew that gate to Earth? The story seems to understate that's Alpha Centauri/Company Pride... It's bugging me.

Return to “Creative Universe”