Next update for X³: Reunion delayed

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cwaHardy
x3

Post by cwaHardy » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 14:32

Egosoft should ditch the publisher route, with the internet now getting faster and faster they should release their games via the internet. Steam isn't the greatest of creations imo but its a way for developers to release products on there own schedule. I know there are many people who dislike purchasing online tho there are ways around this such as a gamecard purchases from a gamestore, that enable you to purchase the right to download while paying in cash at a shop.

Had Egosoft not had the publisher pressure then we could well of had a game much nearer perfection, Egosoft would make more cash, thus be able to provide better products in the future for new games and patches.

Publishers are like the Mafia, time to ditch em imo :)

OCASPAWN
x3

Post by OCASPAWN » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 14:42

hmm lots of hostility lol i payed £34.99 for a game that is not finished "ok" but i still love the game and know they will fix it intime. this just gives me time to look into the scripting side of the game also gave me time to build an x3 website template (not totaly finished it ) http://www.worldgamersforums.com/x3/ hey can i request a new model for the game ? http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/210666 looks the part :)

so chill evey one they a cool team and wont let u down. oh and happy xmass :)
Last edited by OCASPAWN on Mon, 5. Dec 05, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

son of cronus
x3

Post by son of cronus » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 15:30

thanks for the info, but im waiting for the 1.4 patch.

:P

rlcormier
x3

Post by rlcormier » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 15:36

mattius wrote:
This man is dead right. People are prepared to put up with shoddiness these days. Guess that's why Bush & Blair are in the positions that they are in. If I had it my way Egosoft would be prosecuted for selling goods that are in effect not uo to the job they say they are. This is contravening the Trades Description Act & The Sale of Goods Act 1984. :!:
Yea! Blame it on Bush and Blair..... Maybe you should lower your playing time a bit. :roll:

blacktoe
x3

Post by blacktoe » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 15:39

@Darshu - I don't know what games you have installed, but I have played through CoD2, Quake 4, BIA: Earned in Blood, and NFS: Most Wanted. None of these games needed patching to function properly, so I would have to disagree with the assertion that Egosoft maintains the same level of quality control that competing organizations maintain.

@Egosoft - Thanx for the update on the patch. When I see, on these forums, that X3 is bug free I'll be happy to lay down my hard-earned cash. :)

Daniel de Foe
x3

Post by Daniel de Foe » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 15:54

If you´d start programming a bug-free game, those patches wouldn´t be necessary: I´m about to get my money back! That game´s a joke: mining won´t function, savegames are scrapped...and you really got the guts to charge money for that piece of ****???
Get on to it - delay is not acceptable!

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 16:04

blacktoe wrote:@Darshu - I don't know what games you have installed, but I have played through CoD2, Quake 4, BIA: Earned in Blood, and NFS: Most Wanted. None of these games needed patching to function properly
Yes and all of those games are based on established game genres whose engines can be easily bought or leased. Some of the titles you mentioned are published by very wealthy firms that have been, for example, making successful shooters for over 10 years. And if I wanted to play a shooter, I would expect it to be bug free. But I don't. So give me some open ended space exploration and building games that are bug free and you will have a point. You do realize, I hope, that a shooter is easier to program than an open ended, multi location universe where unpredictable things can be going on in 6o locations at once?

SieurNewT
x4

Post by SieurNewT » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 16:39

Please note also that if you love Xbox & PSX style games, they also come with patch to dowload on their sites...

About the 1.3 patch I beleive it's not so bad to wait : Play all the plot, build somes factory, buy somes M1 & M2 , if you dont cheat it will take you a lot of time !

Then you will have to stop a little, play something else for 1 month or 2... and come back to install the 1.3 that will make your X3 so great you will not stop to play before 1 or 2 month... and them you will have to try all mods & scripts ;)
New Config : Intel 8400 & 4Ghz , 4GB DRR2 on Asus P5Q Pro, ATI 4850 and Win XP 32 bits SP3.

Old config AMD 64 3400 1Mo, MSI k8n neo plat, 7800 GS+ Bliss, 2 GB RAM 3200

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 16:56

Spektre wrote: I couldn't disgaree more. Whining is absolutley essential. Whining as loud and hard as possible.

The fact is, in any industry, there are many unscrupulous developers, designers, manufacturers, whatever, that will attempt, wherever possible, to cut corners, cut overheads and maximise profits at the customer's expense whenever they can. We all know this, I'm sure we've all been ripped off with something in the past.

As trading laws in the UK state: 'goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold' not 'goods may not be fit for whatever purpose they are sold, sell it in whatever state you like and issue some vague promises about fixing it up after you've had the money'.

I don't care whether it's a game or a rogue builder who botched my roof. I paid my money and I want it to work. A free market economy should thrive on a seller meeting a customer's needs, for a profit. This product obviously does not meet the needs of many.

It seems to me the software industry, like other new-tech industries at the moment, needs some far harsher regulation and stiffer penalties to prevent goods like this slipping through the net.

The fact is, the more we complain and insist on quality, the more likely the industry will be to produce quality goods that immediately meet customer needs. The more leeway you give developers to produce shoddy goods by saying things like 'I don't mind wating for a patch for my broken game, because I'm a loyal fan', the more often you'll be buying stuff like this in the future.
I don't think complaining will get you anywhere as far as changing the industry. Perhaps if you were to boycott their products, developers and publishers would re-think the way they work, but complaining is really only gonna get you patches. Which, of course, is a good thing, but it doesn't make the industry more responsible.

Can you or someone else explain to me this whole concept of "buying a game that's buggy is the same as buying a car that doesn't work?" I just don't get it. Maybe it's the difference between laws and attitudes in the USA and the UK, but I haven't seen anyone over here sue a company because the game didn't work on their computer. It's hard for me to imagine a judge taking a lawsuit about an entertainment product that cost so little not working very seriously, but maybe I'm behind the times.

I would think even in the UK that those trade laws have probably not been applied to software in court yet (at least not games). Also, it seems to me that Egosoft / Enlight would only have to prove that X3 works on most people's machines (which it does) to prove it is 'fit for the purpose for which it was sold.' As far as features mentioned in the manual but missing from the game, that's a bit trickier to assess. I don't think you can sue a company for misleading information in a manual - more than one prominent business application has mentioned missing features in its documentation, and gotten away with it.

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 17:04

blacktoe wrote: @Egosoft - Thanx for the update on the patch. When I see, on these forums, that X3 is bug free I'll be happy to lay down my hard-earned cash. :)
I don't think you'll ever see that said on these forums, so you can go ahead and spend your money on something else right now. There will always be someone who isn't happy that their favorite feature from X2 / new idea for X3 wasn't put in by the patches, so they'll get on here and say there are still bugs in it. Also, there will always be someone with a certain combination of software and hardware that causes a problem with the game that's not fixable. If you looked closely enough at bigger games' forums, you'd probably see post-"final patch" bug reports for them too.

If you actually made all the effort to wade through all the crap and look at real bug reports, then you might actually see them eventually disappear.

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 17:05

Ecthelion wrote:
Spektre wrote: I couldn't disgaree more. Whining is absolutley essential. Whining as loud and hard as possible.

The fact is, in any industry, there are many unscrupulous developers, designers, manufacturers, whatever, that will attempt, wherever possible, to cut corners, cut overheads and maximise profits at the customer's expense whenever they can. We all know this, I'm sure we've all been ripped off with something in the past.

As trading laws in the UK state: 'goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold' not 'goods may not be fit for whatever purpose they are sold, sell it in whatever state you like and issue some vague promises about fixing it up after you've had the money'.

I don't care whether it's a game or a rogue builder who botched my roof. I paid my money and I want it to work. A free market economy should thrive on a seller meeting a customer's needs, for a profit. This product obviously does not meet the needs of many.

It seems to me the software industry, like other new-tech industries at the moment, needs some far harsher regulation and stiffer penalties to prevent goods like this slipping through the net.

The fact is, the more we complain and insist on quality, the more likely the industry will be to produce quality goods that immediately meet customer needs. The more leeway you give developers to produce shoddy goods by saying things like 'I don't mind wating for a patch for my broken game, because I'm a loyal fan', the more often you'll be buying stuff like this in the future.
I don't think complaining will get you anywhere as far as changing the industry. Perhaps if you were to boycott their products, developers and publishers would re-think the way they work, but complaining is really only gonna get you patches. Which, of course, is a good thing, but it doesn't make the industry more responsible.

Can you or someone else explain to me this whole concept of "buying a game that's buggy is the same as buying a car that doesn't work?" I just don't get it. Maybe it's the difference between laws and attitudes in the USA and the UK, but I haven't seen anyone over here sue a company because the game didn't work on their computer. It's hard for me to imagine a judge taking a lawsuit about an entertainment product that cost so little not working very seriously, but maybe I'm behind the times.

I would think even in the UK that those trade laws have probably not been applied to software in court yet (at least not games). Also, it seems to me that Egosoft / Enlight would only have to prove that X3 works on most people's machines (which it does) to prove it is 'fit for the purpose for which it was sold.' As far as features mentioned in the manual but missing from the game, that's a bit trickier to assess. I don't think you can sue a company for misleading information in a manual - more than one prominent business application has mentioned missing features in its documentation, and gotten away with it.
Who said about sue Egosoft, USA and UK can't sue Egosoft due it's in other country, on other hand Happy people or rednecks can sue Enlight since they are in USA, I dont know about Silver Deep, is it in UK or Gemery?
Last edited by humility925 on Mon, 5. Dec 05, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

RRRoamer
x4

Post by RRRoamer » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 19:05

kmiller1610 wrote:
blacktoe wrote:@Darshu - I don't know what games you have installed, but I have played through CoD2, Quake 4, BIA: Earned in Blood, and NFS: Most Wanted. None of these games needed patching to function properly
Yes and all of those games are based on established game genres whose engines can be easily bought or leased. Some of the titles you mentioned are published by very wealthy firms that have been, for example, making successful shooters for over 10 years. And if I wanted to play a shooter, I would expect it to be bug free. But I don't. So give me some open ended space exploration and building games that are bug free and you will have a point. You do realize, I hope, that a shooter is easier to program than an open ended, multi location universe where unpredictable things can be going on in 6o locations at once?
And they got to BE "very wealthy firms" by releasing generally well working, fun to play games. If Egosoft keeps this up, they will never make it to the "very wealthy frim" level. Which is too bad. Because I REALLY like the direction that X took.

This game has tons of POSSIBLITY. But tons of issues as well. The part that really pisses me off is that fact that there are several items listed in the freaking manual that are not in the game. Moble mining anyone? Warp tunnel? (and before anyone goes off on how they decided not to implement the tunnels, could you PLEASE tell me why there is 5 seconds of black screen WITH SOUND EFFECTS?).

It doesn't matter how you slice things: Egosoft dropped the ball. You can try to blame the publisher all you want, but Egosoft created the game. They also signed the contract with Enlight. Bad decisions were made in the past that may (or maynot) have forced their hand, but, as the saying goes, the buck stops with Egosoft.

Oh, and Egosoft, have someone post a short list if what WILL be fixed in the new version, what MAY be fixed and what WON'T be fixed. An estimated ETA would be nice, but not a deal breaker. But there are a LOT of people that are sitting out here wondering what is being worked on. Heck, I bet we will even forgive you if you miss a few items that you say will be fixed. Well, most of us anyway!
--RRRoamer

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 19:16

Reader81 wrote:
Ecthelion wrote:

Who said about sue Egosoft, USA and UK can't sue Egosoft due it's in other country, on other hand Happy people or redneak can sue Enlight since they are in USA, I dont know about Silver Deep, is it in UK or Gemery?
Thanks for catching my mistake. You're right, Deepsilver is the UK distributor, and Enlight is the US one. I should have been more precise about not suing Egosoft, although I am not sure people are limited to suing businesses in their own country.

Also, I like your description of us USA residents, Happy people and rednecks. That pretty much describes us (I like to think of myself as under the "happy people" category).

RRRoamer
x4

Post by RRRoamer » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 19:51

But you are a LOT more likely to get a lawsuit from that "happy people" group than the redneck group. The rednecks generally just want to be left alone so they can go about their lives as they see fit.

Those "happy people" tend want to stick their noses into other people's business a whole lot more often.

Back on topic:

I would assume that if my computer meets all the requirements listed on the package and I can not run the game (it won't start, crashes so often it is unplayable, etc.) then I can take it back as unfit for purpose. This does NOT rise to the level of a lawsuit.

Out of the close to 100 games I have purchased over the last 10 years, there is only one that went back to the store. That store did have the "no returns on opened games" policy. I got the manager and explained to him what the problems were (in this case, one of the single biggest was the conflict with my mouse driver (Win98SE days). Mouse.sys from Microsoft!). He refunded my money without any trouble.
--RRRoamer

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 20:06

Holywhippet wrote: One of the problems with the software industry is reinventing the wheel. There are lots of game engines out there which don't get reused very often. Only a few like the Source engine, Unreal, Lithtech and the Doom/Quake engines get licensed out a lot. Because of this, game prices get pushed up because of the time and money taken to build a new engine for each new game. If engine reuse was more common, costs shouldn't be as high.
Actually, that is an excellent point - well made. Many of those FPS used the same engines, just slightly differing in graphics - which may be the reason why we enjoy such a dirth of near identical games these days. Use an engine, make some pretty backgrounds/characters etc - and make stack of cash.

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 20:16

blacktoe wrote:@Darshu - I don't know what games you have installed, but I have played through CoD2, Quake 4, BIA: Earned in Blood, and NFS: Most Wanted. None of these games needed patching to function properly, so I would have to disagree with the assertion that Egosoft maintains the same level of quality control that competing organizations maintain.
As another poster mentioned, these games are based off of extremely play-tested engines that are licensed to multiple developers, so there are very few core bugs to work out anyways.

The other thing is, I installed X3 v1.00 on my computer, and it worked fine. Started up, played, a bit on the slow side, but it functioned just fine. Most of the bellyaching on this forum is for this or that feature, or for something that happens to some but not all people, such as crashes and such.

In large part, you have to realize these days that computer specs are different, what works for one person may not for another, and this is not the fault of the developer OR publisher. That's why many game companies are beginning to focus on coding for consoles, since these are a huge market and are stable and most importantly the same for EVERY person!

In the end, as I said in my first post on this thread, give constructive criticism, but whining and threats don't work on anyone, and can be harmful, especially when the evidence (two patches in short order) suggests that the devs are working their butts off to make the whiners happy.

Calzone
x3

Post by Calzone » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 23:48

Compared to the problems in Vampire:bloodlines with several game breakers, Kotor2 where they chopped a good third of the game due to Lucasarts pushing them, or even Microsoft products in general, the problems in X3 while somewhat annoying are really not that bad at all.

As for content not being incorporated into the game at release, its not a very new phenomenon. Numerous times big firms like Blizzard have promised certain items like Diablo 2 guild halls, and had to back out on it. A more scalable example would be WoW, with a significant amount of content that was promised for release not yet being in the game over a year later. X3 may not be an mmo, but there is certainly a lot more effort required to put something of this size out, than for an FPS or even an RPG.

Obsidian, the makers of Kotor2, are not allowed to add the chopped content (very extensive and important to the plot line that was planned), Blizzard has left D2 alone, Troika has closed doors, and Microsoft vulnerabilities get worse with every service pack. Why this maters in regard to X3 is because we do have a decent idea that the functionality and bugs will be repaired/added.

There are far less ambitious games out there with far more problems, and while I may not be content with X3 a the moment, I am willing to be patient for a game with so much potential.

*I forgot to mention Lineage 2 and getting to pay for a game that was in beta at release GG*

CrossWire
x3

Post by CrossWire » Mon, 5. Dec 05, 23:58

X3 is one brilliant game, talk about addictive, one day I will get my life back, but not today. Waiting for a new patch is like waiting for Christmas morning to open your prezzys "exciting". Only Egosoft can give you this warm fluffy feeling. :D :D :D

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 00:09

Forget all that... what I want to know is when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when when?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An update on the estimated date would be greately appreciated by everyone over here.

Rustam

Exus
x3

Post by Exus » Tue, 6. Dec 05, 00:27

its been a long while now since the patch was going to be released ... any update on whats being fixed or even a date to when we'll get the patch at all???? :?:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”