[Script]RS.Turret Defence

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Reagger
x3tc

Post by Reagger » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 02:39

Jakesnake5 wrote:What I want to know, is how(or if) Hier capped Kha'ak ships, or guns. :)

And Kyons are 'kill it, kill it NOW' type weapons, hard to use for capping based on their damage levels.
I've managed to pick up some kyon emitters after destroying a Kha'ak destroyer or carrier (the floating crates left over after the ship is destroyed). Never managed to cap any ships though. That'd be a pretty handy use for all those guns I picked up.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 15:43

in a vanilla game you *cant* use kyons to cap. ..
as there are no buyable/capable ships that can equip kyons in the turrets (afaik)

anyway .. I wouldnt suggest using kyons if you have plans to cap ...... :roll:

(the scripts however afaik has no problem using 'non-default' weapons
I'm using it on Khaak/Xenon/Terran and plot-ships as well ...)

G

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Tue, 11. Jul 06, 05:16

Jake,
off topic--but the Truelight Seeker is the only non-Khaak vanilla ship capable of mounting (all) Kyons. And other than battle wreckage, only LV's HAT script enables (with difficulty) capping of Kha'ak ships for their weapons--or hulls.

It's my understanding however that the upcoming 'DDRS Rebalance' edition of that mod may have some new ships capable of mounting limited amounts of alien weaponry...both in front-fixed and turret hardpoints. Thus my ..er 'speculative' question about turret kyons to RS.

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Tue, 11. Jul 06, 22:39

Sorry for doubleposting, but does anyone know who might be able to put RS's Turret Defence script into .spk format for me?
Thanks in advance,
Hieronymos

Risky
xr

Post by Risky » Wed, 12. Jul 06, 12:35

So If I've got an Elephant with four turrets and 2 lasers each, I should hold 2, 4,6 or 8 of each, but I have no need to have 8 of if there is a suitable alterative (I have by chance picked up pairs of some of the larger weapons already) however would it be best to have soem more MD and PBE for best effect?

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Thu, 13. Jul 06, 08:31

Hieronymos wrote:Sorry for doubleposting, but does anyone know who might be able to put RS's Turret Defence script into .spk format for me?
Thanks in advance,
Hieronymos

I havent used it yet but as I understand it should be easy enough to make your own .spk's ..
anyway if not .. I can explain to you in about 3 sentences how to install scripts .. just let me know if you'd like to read them ...:D

Risky wrote:So If I've got an Elephant with four turrets and 2 lasers each, I should hold 2, 4,6 or 8 of each, but I have no need to have 8 of if there is a suitable alterative (I have by chance picked up pairs of some of the larger weapons already) however would it be best to have soem more MD and PBE for best effect?

pretty simple actually .. if you want your 8 gun turret to be really effective you have no choise but to install 8 of each weapon that that turret can install ..
as when a turret fires 2 small weapons to kill and 6 other cause it had no other small weapons it will become rather energy-wasting ...

but its all up to you (just how effective do you want your "ship" to be).. the script can deal with you installing from 0 to xxxx weapons .. :)

(do note; combi's work as well .. example;
6 weapons on the turret .. small ship in close range .. but only 2 small weapons avail. .. but also 2 flak .. now your turret *could* decide to go for a 2/2/2 combi .. wich again *can* be surprisingly effective ..... :twisted: )

G

sdack
x3

Post by sdack » Thu, 13. Jul 06, 10:00

Red Spot wrote:... as explained turrets *usually* (and if needed/req.) can switch to smaller weapons if the targets hull/shields go down ...
this does however not work by 'picking' a step smaller weapon .. as this would req. libs. (wich I do not want to use in this script)
Well, you did not explain it. What are your scripts decisions to switch to a weapon based on? Fantasy, magic or sexual attraction? You need to have, what you call a lib, to base a decision on. Maybe your script does not require arrays is what you are trying to write. However, you need some information about all weapons and map this information (=> library) on information acquired from a target. So you then do pick a weapon for a target.
And I do know the script language calls it switch laser in turret .... However it is the game engine, which then switches the weapon for you. To use the instruction you need to pick the weapon first.
and this also doesnt work based on 'impact' as that is the same as 'hit and miss' and there is no control over that ..
As I wrote earlier you gain control over it by avoiding misses. I.e. by picking a weapon, which hits a target best. If your script hits targets better than the standard script, then it already becomes a tool for gaining control over hit and miss.

Anyway. It is getting pointless.

Sven
---------------------------
---------------------------

Risky
xr

Post by Risky » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 00:36

I was thinking of the elephant which has two gun turrets, you see......

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 00:53

Using it on a ship that has 12 guns per turret, 6 turrets total, is interesting to watch as the script mixes the insufficient amounts of guns it wants to use with those its got. It does try though, and the efects are fantastic.
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 03:53

RS,
please give me your 3 sentence install instructions. I've a burning need to check out this script, as well as RS.Hunt and RS.MD Suppliers. And have been unable to find anyone willing to put yr material in .spk

How do you get turreted NPC's to use the turret defense?

And of what value would it be to them, unless they also carry spare weapons? ..i.e., do you script NPC's larger 'weapons portfolio's'??

Spatch
x3tc

Post by Spatch » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 04:36

Hi, I've been using your turret scripts for awhile now, really handy, but I have a request about it... I've noticed a tendency in it to load Alpha Flak Artillery Arrays alongside gPPC's in my Raptor, and it's eating energy because the aFAA's fire at their limited range even if the target is with gPPC range... 6.6km or something. Are there any script commands that check target range and only allows aFAA's to be loaded if the target is within range? A lot of people seem to decry aFAA's for some reason, but I find them invaluable against M4's and M5's- they tend to explode the moment they get too close. I'd try to do it myself, but I'm still getting my head wrapped around scripting and my first project isn't going so well as it is...

Also, in the script that checks energy levels, if I changed the part stating "Skip if shields >=8" to "Skip if shields >=1", would that change things so that it only fired in bursts when shields were at 10%? I'm assuming that 8 refers to 80%, I may be way off.
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people that it's supposed to have holes. - AdmBito

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 06:15

thats why I've said you *should* always give your turret maximum weapons ... so the turret is always capable of switching back to regular weapons and isnt stuck with what it was able to get at the time ...

simply said 1 == 5% .. so shields at >=8 means if the shields are over 40% .. but iirc that $shields var. isnt *just* shields anymore at that time but a combi of energy/hull/shields/random value ...
and I do NOT advise you to change those values .. you might find a 'setup' that works better if its allowed to drain more energy before starting to 'pulse-fire' .. but in general 40% is *about* right ...

(fyi ... the default 'advanced' turret-scripts most of the time keep the energy at about 99% ... :o )

G

Spatch
x3tc

Post by Spatch » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 09:12

Ah, if it skips if shields are over 40% then that's good- I'd be fleeing by that time. About the weapons though; the thing is that even if only the forward arc is firing, it loads 2 of the 8 gPPC's on the ship and 2 aFAA's (or 1/3/,3/1, etc) when it could fully load the forward arc with 4 gPPC's or even some gPPC's and a number of the twelve onboard bHEPT's. The full loadout is 8 aFAA, 8 gPPC, 4 bPAC, and 12 bHEPT. And this is entirely unrelated to your script, but is this deal with insanely loud explosions (compared to near-muted laser blasts) a bug with the game? It's driving me nuts...
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people that it's supposed to have holes. - AdmBito

Evans3rd
x3

Post by Evans3rd » Thu, 27. Jul 06, 20:56

I think the loud explosions was a bad decision, for effect, by the designers. It made me jump out of my chare at first but in space there is no sound so they should not be heard at all.
Exceptions need to be made though. If it was not for the explosions there have been many jump collisions I would not know even happened if it where not for the explosion.
Thanks,

Evans3rd

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Fri, 28. Jul 06, 05:37

Great script ! I loaded it up last night and took my titan out for a spin through pirate alley, it was great to see the guns change from GPPC to AFAA APAC etc, and the ability to take missles out without lots of button pushing is great. Thanks.

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Tue, 1. Aug 06, 23:31

I like the 'loud explosions' and other firing sound effects. They let you know what's actually firing, as each has a distinctive, easily identifiable sound: MD, IRE, Flaks. On smaller ships with few(er) turrets this is a great way to know that the script is working.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Thu, 3. Aug 06, 12:53

I just put on the "XTENDED MOD .6a" and the laser energy on my Titan goes to zero when AFAA's are loaded onto the ship, so the turret script stops the guns from firing? but I like both the scripts, so how do I stop the turret script from stopping the guns from shooting when the laser energy is supposedly zero.

Evans3rd
x3

Post by Evans3rd » Thu, 3. Aug 06, 23:21

I like the Flack guns but they do drain massive amounts of weapons energy so I only load two Alfa Flack in my Carriers and Destroyers. One on the top and one on the bottom. I noticed that this script will mix guns with this configuration so it works better when I’m the pilot and I use a different command. Using a turret command other than Attack all Enemies turns the script off on that ship BTW.
I have been thinking of removing them since I loaded this script but I love their effectiveness on the small ships that make close strafing runs.
I have a Titan, the one I pilot myself sometimes, that I load two AFlack each top and bottom with BPAC and AHEPT all around. Taking that through Pirate ally is fun and profitable.
Thanks,

Evans3rd

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 01:48

Keep in mind that the script only works for turrets given "Attack all enemies" cmnd. So if you set some turrets armed with only 2-4 FAA's each to "Defend ship" the script won't mess with them. If your other turrets set to 'attack enemies' then have access in your cargo hold to equal numbers of PPC's and MD's, for example, then the script will operate at maximum efficiency vs. fighters or big ships.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 01:50

I was engaging a Xenon J last night, and:

- when I got too close my turrets stopped using PPC's and started using AFAA and BPACs.
- when a missle is fired all my turrets stopped shooting at the J and waited for the missle to come into range.

I love this script, can you give me some tips to what parameters I can change to tweak it to do what I want?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”