[SCRIPT] Sector Takeover v 1.7[Updated 1/10/06]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

How do you rate this script?

5- Excellent
68%
4- Good
18%
3- Average
7%
2- Poor
3%
1- Abysmal
4%

Total votes: 76

Cougar81
x3tc

Post by Cougar81 » Tue, 30. May 06, 21:20

why does everyone forget planets?

you're occupying the sector space AROUND a planet who's inhabitants are the conquered race. So this may explain the "fighters constantly showing up" ................... maybe the "heavy assault" scripts could be configured to assault planets and end this little mystery ;)

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 31. May 06, 09:01

Wow russbo, that sounds like you've been having a crazy little rampage, my hat is off to you sir.

I kind of like the fact that their force doesn't seem to diminish much, because right as you are, their economy would suffer, but they would also start taking sector defense much more seriously, and all their forces would move to their still owned sectors, thus causing a high concentration of ships. Also if some guy with a Nova is ordering his fleet to steal your territory, you are going to put all your credits into building new ships to defend yourself, even if you have to pay another races shipyard to build it for you.
Also when you consider that there is potentially infinite space in the Universe, I think the ability to wipe out a race completely is pretty unrealistic, I mean you capture a sector, but you dont go fly round the planets to look for members of that race do you? So complete eradication would be hard, though I am interested to know what happens when you claim every sector of a particular race as your own.
I kind of hope they eventually start to disappear, but thats down to how the game works I guess.

A lot of people have said that they think using this script will make the game too easy, I think you have just proved them wrong.
And also with the new version you would be earning money from all the sectors you control so funding your war would be a little easier.

I am currently waging war against the pirates, I have claimed the 3 sectors south of Cho's defeat (south east of mantalaar). And since taking all 3 of those sectors, raiding parties have stopped attacking me, which is fantastic, but now I have to build a force big enough to smash through that huge block of pirate sectors to the west of the map, as well as clearing out Xenon 101.

Thats good news on the TL most probably being responsible for the respawning of factories in your sectors, that means it's down to the player to prevent that from happening.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Fri, 2. Jun 06, 13:33

Well, I've stopped my experiment, and reverted to a previous save game in which I had captured only two sectors (my "pre cheating" days). If one looks at the financial ramifications of doing a large race eradication, the costs are immense. I figure, that I must have "spent" well over five hundred million credits, in space stations and laser towers, to try to control the eight or ten sectors that I tried to take in the center of the universe. And, after letting the game just do what it wanted to do after taking control of all of that, I basically lost it all. The Split came back, reinhabited their sectors, built their stations again, and brought in heavy, though damaged, capital ships with lots of fighters. Had I actively played during those subsequent twenty or so hours, no doubt I would have spent my time just fighting them off.

The problem as I see it, is that there is no financial remuneration for taking over sectors. And, the costs for taking them over, and especially, keeping them, can be astronomical. Not exactly a worthwhile venture.

So, if anyone is planning on doing something with this concept, they should keep the money aspects of this sort of space conquest in mind. It's a great idea, it's fun, but, before I got into cheat mode to see where all of this would take me, it devasted me financially. I'm currently struggling to hold onto the two sectors that I have captured, and no doubt will continue to fight off the Split. I might find it worthwhile just to let them have it all back, and concentrate on the money making aspects of the game. If it wasn't for LV's HAT script, in which you can capture enemy capital ships to make money, doing sector capture would be really difficult.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Fri, 2. Jun 06, 17:46

I'm nearly there with the tax script, so that should help people in such a situation, just a couple of issues to resolve, and then there will be financial benefits to capturing sectors.

The tax probably isn't going to cover most of your costs, but it will at least help.
Sounds like you've pushed this script further than most, shame you had to revert.

I myself am not fond of games being too challenging, but part of me thinks that conquering the entire X universe should be one heck of a challenge and a monetary strain, which it sounds like it is, but it should definately be possible, whether it is or not I don't know, I doubt anyone has taken it through to it's conclusion.

But I think a player really does need to have set up quite an infrastructure of personal factories, and amassed a huge fleet before attempting to wipe out an entire race. I mean, an entire race... how hard must that be? You nearly kicked the combined ass of the split!!!
Whether you lost or not, don't it make you feel good?

Hopefully I'll get the chance to finish off the tax script on Sunday. But no promises.
Nirwin
------

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Fri, 2. Jun 06, 20:19

Well, I reverted to a save point because I had changed from "playing" to "experimenting". I kind of wanted to see what it really would take to accomplish what I had wanted to do. So, I cheated. Added money and stations, just to see what the game would do in a "conquer a race" type game. There was no way I could possibly afford to do it otherwise. And, once I did it, and realized that it would be a rather expensive and time consuming financially worthless venture, well, time to play again.

The sector takeover stuff is great, but there has to be some sort of rewards associated with it. Destroying all those stations seems like a futile thing to do; I had virtually empty sectors all over the middle of my X universe, which I could not afford to repopulate. What was interesting, and I don't think I mentioned this before, is that the various traders of the other races, including the Split, seemed to have avoided these conquered empty sectors, and seemed to have rerouted themselves around it.

Conquering a race should be a very expensive, time consuming ordeal, but, there should also be something more worthwhile to get in the end, other than empty sectors. I think this has been brought up before. This is a great concept, and the script works well as it was designed, but the overall idea has to be reworked a bit. I think it would add a worthwhile new approach towards playing the game.

Brand-X
x3

Post by Brand-X » Fri, 2. Jun 06, 20:42

Not to belabor a subject or hijack your thread, but check this out.

Maybe we can solve this in another way, play along with the game instead of against it.

It struck me when nirwin spoke of his taxation script, that perhaps the way to conquer the x-universe is not to destroy all of a races stations and replace them with your own, or even to capture and claim player ownership of them.

Instead, attack a station, invade it, capture it, loot it, then (after repairing the damage) return it to the races control, (and repair your race relations to at least a barely civil level) so that they could continue to operate it, but now as your subject, stiffly taxed and allowed to exist only at your sufference. Set a flag in the game somehow, showing that you control that station or sector, and maybe have the controlled objects be outlined in yellow on the maps and when targeted by your HUD.

Set things so that when you dock at one of the subjugated stations, ownership would change to the player for as long as you (or one of your ships) is docked there, and then revert back to the race when you leave. That way you could freely stock up on his wares without a hassle, and you might even be motivated to ensure certain stations always had a good supply of resources.

This could be done on a sector level, as well. Go for the trading station, or whatever structure that seems to house the local government, assault and capture it. Beat off the initial counter attacks, then turn your attention to the races other stations in that sector.

Because their local government is in your hands and their military at least temporarily beaten, some stations (depending on race and station type) would be inclined to surrender upon demand, some would require a little 'persuasion', and some would never give up, thus needing invasion or simply destruction. Only after you had dealt with all of a races stations in that sector could you claim 'control' of that sector and set your 'flag', while leaving it essentially in the games hands and hence not upsetting the God engine. Reset your race relation a bit, then rest up and regroup for the next sector.

You could even have sector revolts among your subjects, from time to time, rebellious stations, maybe acts of sabotage and treachery, whatever. However much detail as you care to add.

There would still be massive battles, but on a sector by sector scale. And after you had 'pacified' a sector, race relations could settle down to an uneasy truce, allowing you to plot your next move.

I think that in this manner you COULD conquer entire races, leaving the governments in place as your puppet.

This is the path that I am working towards with the station capture thing, but there are many details to work out. I am still caught up in the mechanics of a believable station capture, and have not taken the time to consider the possible problems of integrating it into other peoples mods, or into the x universe itself. Or with making a slick player interface.

I would appreciate any insights anyone cares to share. Is it doable? Is it a good idea? Will this will actually work? I don't think that it's going to be that hard to actually script. As I said earlier, it plays along with the x universe model, instead of trying to overcome it or modify it in major ways. I just have zero scripting experience and it's taking me forever to get things done. :)

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sat, 3. Jun 06, 10:31

Sounds great. If you or someone else could script this, I think it would add a completely new approach to an already awesome game.

Wish I could help. But when it comes to programming, if it doesn't have punch cards, I have no idea.....

Alzara
x3

Deal...

Post by Alzara » Sat, 3. Jun 06, 17:10

I checked this post ages ago when it was first around, but wonder what is going on with it now. Are there going to be some changes made to it? Also I run with the DDRS mod, so I was wondering if it is compatible with this mod?

Al

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Sun, 4. Jun 06, 09:44

I cant seem to get the download link to work :( Can you give me an alternate source to get the script?

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Sun, 4. Jun 06, 10:09

augustini wrote:I cant seem to get the download link to work :( Can you give me an alternate source to get the script?
@alzara, yes there are definately changes being made, I'm making some of them as is DesertEagle, however it's slow moving for me, as I only learnt how to script for X3 about 4 weeks ago,, so i'm still learning its powers and limits. I too am a huge fan off DDRS, and I did use this script with that mod previously, as it is at the moment I am waiting for RS's new scripts before using DDRS again.
This script however is completely compatible with DDRS (though I'd keep off claiming the unknown sectors until you have unlocked all the DDRS content, as that MIGHT cause DDRS problems.

Ok, I have re-hosted the file on my old bands website, you should be able to get it here:
http://www.thepipe-line.co.uk/sector_ta ... 18BETA.zip
Last edited by nirwin on Mon, 5. Jun 06, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nirwin
------

Alzara
x3

Cool!

Post by Alzara » Sun, 4. Jun 06, 17:11

Excellent! So what has changed from the original stuff thats highlighted on the first page? :)

Al

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Sun, 4. Jun 06, 18:47

Nirwin -> thanks for reposting a link, but alas the file you posted appears to be empty!

Could you please check the file and see if i am correct. If i am incorrect would you please email me the script?

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 5. Jun 06, 00:16

Ok the link should work now.

So far what has changed, is you can now claim sectors by just destroying stations belonging to the owner race instead of all stations (and you still have to place your own trading station).

But more content is coming soon, sadly I didn't get any time to work on it today, so will try next week.
Nirwin
------

DesertEagle
x3

Progress Update

Post by DesertEagle » Mon, 5. Jun 06, 08:38

Hi All,
though it is not incredibly glamorous, I am putting the finishing touches on a multi-threaded debugging library for use with X3 in general, and future sector takeover developments specifically. My choice stems from the fact that I find writing single debug messages to the log book asychronously completely inadequate for troubleshooting artificial life routines.

My debug library essentially replicates C++ style Write and WriteLn functions, holding messages in a buffer until you call the "Write Message" function, which empties the buffer. Write and Writeln allow you to specify a message "class" and tell the buffer which function and ship created the message. You can then filter by function, class, and ship when you output messages from the buffer, in other words -- you just pop out the messages that meet your criteria. The library uses a lock to ensure that the buffer is not written to or read from when it is in an indeterminate state.

I have been working on this the entire weekend and it is now in a pretty good state. A couple more days of work, and I will release it to the community and then begin again in earnest on improving Sector Takeover, hopefully with the help of Nirwin.

Cheers,
DesertEagle

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 5. Jun 06, 10:07

DE,

Excellent, debugging library sounds like a good idea, can't wait to get my hands on it. Hopefully it will speed up progress too.

---EDIT---
I now have the tax script working, I just have to work on the timing of when it runs.
As a point of interest, the reason I thought it was wrong was because I have claimed Kingdoms End, without knowing it, and without a trading dock in it!!!!
There is a serious problem with the main script, and I am going to have to find out what that problem is.
On the plus side though, I have learnt how to debug (thanks to DesertEagle) should have occured to me earlier though.
I also have a few more utility/cheat scripts on the plus side.

So therefore I will be releasing a new version of this mod VERY soon, and it will actually have benefits to claiming sectors (hopefully that'll please russbo as well as myself). The current guess for values is 200000 credits per station for 1 game day, however shipyards are charged more as are EQ docks.

Should pirate stations be charged or are we of the opinion that pirates wouldn't pay any tax? I think they wouldn't pay it myself, but I could be swayed.
Nirwin
------

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Tue, 6. Jun 06, 00:16

A new version of this script has just been released, I have taken this oppurtunity to start a new thread, it can be located here:
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=143524

Please now post on the new topic.
Nirwin
------

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”