NEWS: X³: Terran Conflict announced

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:21

If I were to take a guess..and this is only a guess, mind you, based on the 'stand-alone expansion pack' thing. But I would /guess/ that the Terran Conflict will involve a completely new section of the gate network. So Reunion will have one half of the universe, and Terran Conflict will have the other, and you put them together to have a complete universe.

karl_1_marx
x3

Post by karl_1_marx » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:25

I wouldn't think so. X3 will be included in one of the highest copy-number German gamezines' next issue. Retail price 5€. So no "retroactive sales boost" business intended, IMHO.

Cheers
Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:29

I think it doesn't matter what we think.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:32

Well, an expansion back is meant to expand on the original. If the new one has all of what the old one had, plus some, then why have the old one?

If you look at current stand-alone packs, like Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, you see that they offer all the bells and whistles in single-player, but in multiplayer they only let you play as the new material unless you own the old games. So if part of the X-Verse isn't reserved for people who have the old game, I don't know what qualifies this as an expansion and not a full-on new game which uses the old engine.

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:42

I'm now a very happy chappy :D :D

and the year can't roll-on fast enough :roll:
have to use it up playing more X3 :P
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:44

Nyax wrote:
Mightysword wrote:But boy, when I see this new game will be a new game, all I can say is "hell yeah!!!!" This means the dreaded economy will be fixed.
I feel fairly confident that the economy will be something that WON'T be changed much. After all it's supposed to be broken thanks to the war.
I don't think so. Here are why:

What supposed to happen is a broken feel to the economy in the game by creating an traders base system, it's a neat idea. But obviously the implementation and what actually happen in the game totally head south that the system itself is broken. What was supposed to be a competitive compromise is actually an unreliable-non-working replacement.

A typical scenario "Having a factory screaming for resource with 3 factories full of said resource just the next sector for hours upon hours with no transaction happen" is a broken system, no matter how you look at it, and I dare say this goes for about 90% of AI owned fabs in X3.

What I was thinking is this feature maybe something hardcoded which prevent it to be fixed via patching or modding. So if they're going to release a new game (doesnt matter the same engine), I think they gonna change part of the code for a new release.

XTM-Legartius

Post by XTM-Legartius » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:48

It would be nice for those of us with previous games to get the odd bit of extra content: Nothing completely game defining, but an Easter Egg, or some kind of reward for our loyalty :) :P

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 00:52

Alright, I've got some questions, Mr. Developers.

1: That Steam thing I asked earlier. I would be like, 500% more likely to get this game if I could just pull it off of Steam.

2: How much is being changed from the original X3? I'm not asking necessarily -what- is changing, just like, how different will we find this from the original?

3: Will TC tie into the original at all? If I have a saved game in Reunion, can I use that game in Terran Conflict, or will I have to start over? Is there any crossover at all, or any advantage to owning both?

4: X3: Reunion has had a very active mod community, especially with the XTM mod. Does TC draw any influence from there? Will we be seeing any ships, missions or sectors in TC that were originally from those?

5: Does this close the book on the X series, or will we be seeing Split and Boron again in the future as well?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 01:00

Rapier wrote:I think it doesn't matter what we think.
I think you may be right.

However, at least I now have a date by which I must have upgraded my pc...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 01:07

Mightysword wrote: A typical scenario "Having a factory screaming for resource with 3 factories full of said resource just the next sector for hours upon hours with no transaction happen" is a broken system, no matter how you look at it, and I dare say this goes for about 90% of AI owned fabs in X3.
Um, yeah, and good thing it is too. That's how I made a fortune in the several X3 games I had where I went from lone trader to interstellar tycoon.

A perfectly balanced economy is no fun, because it doesn't need you. An economy with serious problems is good news, since you have work to do.

I stabilized the entire of Paranid space (in every game I played it had appalling supply problems), and I made an absolute fortune doing it. We are talking billions.

I made inroads into solving the problems in Split space too, but the pirate and Xenon situation always stopped me getting everything sorted. Not that it stopped me having some of my most profitable complexes in Split space. Who knew selling food would be a big money maker?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 01:08

Mightysword wrote:
Nyax wrote:
Mightysword wrote:...all I can say is "hell yeah!!!!" This means the dreaded economy will be fixed.
I feel fairly confident that the economy will be something that WON'T be changed much. After all it's supposed to be broken thanks to the war.
...A typical scenario "Having a factory screaming for resource with 3 factories full of said resource just the next sector for hours upon hours with no transaction happen" is a broken system, no matter how you look at it...
The economy is supposed to be in a recession when the game starts, but I have also seen some of that. Some factories seem to have no support for some resources, at all. :o

I suspect that this is not a bug in the economy design, but rather an "Unfortunate Incident" to the ship that was serving the factory. In X3 most of the NPC factories depend on NPC "free traders" that run code similar to the trade MkIII ST/UT's. If one gets scragged it leaves several factories lacking support. :cry:

In version 1.00 the NPC traders were not re-spawning correctly, which was fixed in the first patch IIRC. But maybe they still are a bit thin in some areas.

Remember, though, that there are supposed to be opportunities for trading. If you don't trade at all, then you are supposed to have a lack of wares to buy. :twisted:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

NightPrince
x3ap

Post by NightPrince » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 02:23

Gothsheep wrote: 4: X3: Reunion has had a very active mod community, especially with the XTM mod. Does TC draw any influence from there? Will we be seeing any ships, missions or sectors in TC that were originally from those?
That's what bothers me as well. Although XTM wasn't an official (aka created by Egosoft) addition to the game, i think it proved to be the best mod for the X series ever released. It brought huge improvements to many aspects of the game and many of us got used to it. I do realize the problems that might occur here but it would be pity to see all these dozens of XTM sectors, ships and other additions to simply get ignored in the new game.

"the only relevant lesson of the history is that no one heeds the lessons of the history". Therefore although i am (like almost all of you guys) a huge X fan, support Ego in all its endeavors and i WILL buy the game i met these news with a "careful optimism :) " I would really hate to see again all the mistakes Ego has done in the past with the X games releases.

"In Egosoft we trust", so don't let us down guys:)

Way to go!
-"Hey, is your date invitation still valid?"
-"Well yes, sure. Why?"
-"I just wanted to refuse again."

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 02:52

Publishing thru Deep Silver again.. Does this mean we can look forward to more fun with Starforce?

I'll wait for the non-Starforce Steam version.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 03:25

Let's not go into discussion of copy protection, thanks.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 04:41

Great news! However, I too will be waiting for a patch or two before the purchase. Nothing specifically to do with this upcoming title, I'm just trying to be a little more patient with all my game purchases these days. Back on topic...I'm more than thrilled about this upcoming title.

Dc

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 05:31

I have one more, very important question:

6: Can I have a cameo in the new game? Maybe as the hotshot devil-may-care Terran fighter pilot? :wink:

GBscientist
x4

Post by GBscientist » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 05:39

All I want is carryover of existing progress from X3 Reunion and flyable Terran ships. Everything else is negotiable.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 06:06

I am pretty sure you won't be able to carry over save games, but sense you can start as a Terran pilot, I think flyable terran ships is a given.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 07:56

Gothsheep wrote:I have one more, very important question:

6: Can I have a cameo in the new game? Maybe as the hotshot devil-may-care Terran fighter pilot? :wink:
Why not just hack your face over Mark Hamills in Wing Commander 3

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 08:25

mrbadger wrote:
Mightysword wrote: A typical scenario "Having a factory screaming for resource with 3 factories full of said resource just the next sector for hours upon hours with no transaction happen" is a broken system, no matter how you look at it, and I dare say this goes for about 90% of AI owned fabs in X3.
Um, yeah, and good thing it is too. That's how I made a fortune in the several X3 games I had where I went from lone trader to interstellar tycoon.
Uhm ... that's exactly the problem, X3 econ make the game super easy. Ok, creating opportunities for players is good, but there is need for balancing, right now the game just hand you the money by just sitting back and do nothing.

It's no fun when you're the sole business man in the universe, and unless you have a rediculous decision like building a fab in the middle of a Xenon sector, 90% of time you can not go wrong, and without your traders moving the goods, the economy is pretty death, not recession.

X2 econ was not broken, you can still build big empire. But back then you have to think and make plan, X3 the money is pretty much handed to you.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”