patch - *updates from BurnIt!*

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 11:14

esd wrote:
It also may make the Mods of this forum a little less defensive
It's more likely to cause us more work, as we'd be dealing with very annoyed people who are sure they were promised a patch on day xxx,yyy,zzz.
I'd call that a pretty defensive response. :)

I too suggest you try it. You never know, it might work. :)
Even if it doesnt, next time its called for, you can truely say it was tried and didnt work.

Besides, can the amount of work generated that way really be any worse than all the 'work' thread locking your doing now ? Personally, I dont think so.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 11:32

As a software engineer myself I sympathise with Egosoft and can understand them getting ansie about people saying "are we their yet?". It is not always possible to predict when a problem is going to be fixed, and sometimes work arounds are not feasable (if even possible). So keep up the good work guys and ignore the kids riding in the back seat. :roll:

I have not heard anything about 1.3.x patches beta or otherwise and so am a bit bewilddered as the download area only shows 1.3 as a patch (will check the tech area afer this post). It would be nice to see an update sticky in the main forum or even better optional beta patch downloads available in the download section.

Edit : Ok, I have found a Beta patch sticky in the tech support forum :D
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

NightPrince
x3ap

Post by NightPrince » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 11:56

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:As a software engineer myself I sympathise with Egosoft and can understand them getting ansie about people saying "are we their yet?". It is not always possible to predict when a problem is going to be fixed, and sometimes work arounds are not feasable (if even possible). So keep up the good work guys and ignore the kids riding in the back seat. :roll:
Well done. That was a knife in the back Roger L.S. Griffiths, hope you fell better now :rant: :P
Anyway i trully appreciate the mods attitude and especially BurnIt!'s one towards the subject. It was pretty damn clear from the beginning that it's against Egosoft own interest to deliberately hide the 1.4 release date but curtainly you made the situation a lot clearer guys. You have my gratitude. :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 13:54

Sixhitter wrote:Lets see if the majority of X fans are spoiled cretins that can not handle the truth, or commited game players albeit frustrated that are able to wait/help once information is forthcoming.
Some people have staggeringly short memories. It's only two months since 1.3 was released, prior to which a thread announcing the due date for that patch ran to 76 pages. That thread started with "great, thanks for the info" and then gradually descended into accusations that Egosoft were liars (apparently in some cases based on the fact that the poster's Christmas holiday started earlier than Egosoft's). The comment by esd is not based on wild assumptions, it is based on experience of what happens every single time.
Sixhitter wrote:Well lets just try an experiment. You tried no info, its failed as I read many posts now from people making you deal with 'very annoyed people who are sure they have no idea of the state of 1.4'
Why is it so difficult to grasp the concept that there simply isn't new information to give out every couple of days? When there is something new to say, it will be said, but people are not going to post "nothing new to report" every day, partly because it is a waste of time and partly because no-one appears to believe it when it is posted.
Sixhitter wrote:How about trying some info for a week and see who is right.
Well now you've got all the information. That is the status and, if you read BurnIt!'s post carefully you will be able to work out that it is likely to stay that way until the particular issue is solved whereupon there will be another announcement saying that the patch is ready. If the situation changes then there will be another post. If there is no post then you know that there is no change.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 14:08

How about a sticky on top of the tech forum with a list of known bugs, and the current status of work on them? Doesn't need updating often, gives the required information, and people know exactly where they stand. Could also have a list of past bugs and which version fixed them.

I think most people here with problems just want reassurance that their particular problem is being addressed. Yes, logically we can say to ourselves that the devs aren't sipping dacquiris on some beach somewhere, but nothing beats solid information.

Richard098
x3

Post by Richard098 » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 14:38

In the FAQ there is a mention that v1.4 is availabel, a long list of all the improvements but no link. :?
If you also check in FAQ UK virsion should be 1.4 I can't find it anywhere and haveing read this thread it would look like it is not available :?:

EGOSOFT
can you please clear this up :?:

Just for info. I have been playing 1.32 Beta for a long time now with the only problem being the error when reloading a saved game (about every 4th reload) which rebooting and reloading that save works; a little frustrating I know but not the end of the world.
I realy don't understand why people have lots of problems playing this patch :?
By the way V1.4 list of improvements also has a saved game converter for games which do not auto adjust to 1.4

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 14:43

Richard098 wrote:In the FAQ there is a mention that v1.4 is availabel, a long list of all the improvements but no link. :?
If you also check in FAQ UK virsion should be 1.4 I can't find it anywhere and haveing read this thread it would look like it is not available :?:
You are in the wrong section of the FAQ: that's version 1.4 of X²: The Threat. There isn't much in the FAQ for X³: Reunion unfortunately.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 15:03

CBJ wrote:
Sixhitter wrote:Lets see if the majority of X fans are spoiled cretins that can not handle the truth, or commited game players albeit frustrated that are able to wait/help once information is forthcoming.
Some people have staggeringly short memories. It's only two months since 1.3 was released, prior to which a thread announcing the due date for that patch ran to 76 pages. That thread started with "great, thanks for the info" and then gradually descended into accusations that Egosoft were liars (apparently in some cases based on the fact that the poster's Christmas holiday started earlier than Egosoft's). The comment by esd is not based on wild assumptions, it is based on experience of what happens every single time.
I stand corrected. Sorry for endorsing the suggestion.

I was delayed in getting X3 until after the 1.3 patch was released, and since I was travelling during that period, never saw the thread you mention. I'm disapointed to hear the outcome of that thread.

Kraznor
x3

Post by Kraznor » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 16:16

eladan wrote:How about a sticky on top of the tech forum with a list of known bugs, and the current status of work on them? Doesn't need updating often, gives the required information, and people know exactly where they stand. Could also have a list of past bugs and which version fixed them.

I think most people here with problems just want reassurance that their particular problem is being addressed. Yes, logically we can say to ourselves that the devs aren't sipping dacquiris on some beach somewhere, but nothing beats solid information.
Great post. I don't want a due date, I just wanna know what's most likely to be changed. Too many things get spread as rumors.

A list of what they HOPE to work on isn't unreasonable. Hell, I'm sure they're done with 80%+ of what they're gonna fix anyways, so why not post what those changes are? If I understand right, most of the changes are in patch 1.3.2? So that wouldn't be terribly hard.

BTW, SOE does this all the time with their upcoming patches for Everquest, so it's not like it's groundbreaking.
Nyax wrote:The dummies guide to energy weapons, and what you can expect if shot by them-

Red/Orange- Stop it! That Tickles.
Blue- Ouch! That Stings.
Green-AHHHH! it burns, it burns!
White- and i'm dead.

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:05

how about instead of wasting time posting on a forum of what theyre doing, they just get on and work on the patch? I think that sounds sensible.
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Kraznor
x3

Post by Kraznor » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:14

Duriel_LOP wrote:how about instead of wasting time posting on a forum of what theyre doing, they just get on and work on the patch? I think that sounds sensible.
If it takes much time to cut and paste their agenda, then they're not very proficient with a computer, wouldn't you agree?

Besides the fact that I'm pretty sure that the moderators prolly have a copy of what they intend on working on, but they are bound by a NDA so can't post it. If that were true, all that it would take is one email from the devs to let CBJ or whoever print the list here on the boards of what they're gonna fix.

Not time consuming at all. And if you think they work on code for this game 24/7 you're seriously kidding yourself anyways.
Nyax wrote:The dummies guide to energy weapons, and what you can expect if shot by them-

Red/Orange- Stop it! That Tickles.
Blue- Ouch! That Stings.
Green-AHHHH! it burns, it burns!
White- and i'm dead.

Godalmighty83
x3

Post by Godalmighty83 » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:40

i would be happy if 1.4 is released the beginning half of this month with just a couple of added extras as 'sorry for the crashes' type of thing.

well heres hoping anyway.

Tha_reaper

Post by Tha_reaper » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:48

Duriel_LOP wrote:how about instead of wasting time posting on a forum of what theyre doing, they just get on and work on the patch? I think that sounds sensible.
i dont think you know the diffence between forum moderators and game developpers...

mroeder
x3

when it's done

Post by mroeder » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 08:36

I find the above statement ( "when it's done" ) for patch delivery is fine when used in the context of the original release. But when it's used to describe a fix that will make the game:

(/rant:on) :evil: *I PAID FOR* :evil:

(/rant:off)

playable (if you followed that). I mean really, 1 in ten sectors are a slideshow (sure the rest are great ) random CTD's which really suck... UT's that get stuck... Stupid AI... Auto Pilot that thinks asteriods are clear sky... Broken plot (still)... I don't think it's asking to much for some sort of progress report on a patch for a game that has been bought and paid for. A game that without said patch does not deliver 100% what is on the back of the box.

Don't get me wrong - I love this game, and everything about it (Battlemaster/Mogul with NO cheating and NO scripts) but I'm sick of waiting with no information forthcoming. I don't want dates, I want a progress report...

kyp durron
x3

Post by kyp durron » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 10:35

I am hoping 1.4 will fix all the problems because 1.3 gave me a CTD that I never had in any of the other patches.

chuckos8
x3

Post by chuckos8 » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 12:59

Sapper_Astro wrote:I have no idea why Space game companies don't band together and create their own publishing house like Wargames have with Matrix games and Battlefront.

Paul Neurath, Ala 'Space Rogue' (C'mon old timers, don't let me down here), was the pioneer of the real Space sime (With on planet/Station RPG as well i might add) when it was released in 1989. I emailed him a few weeks back wondering if he ever thought of remaking a Space/RPG game again and his response, while certainly friendly and wistful, was to the attitude that Space sims are a niche market and therefore 'not safe' for many publishers....Wargames fell into the same catagory.

Did Wargamers lie down and die? I think not. Thats why they market their own games and do distribution that way. It has been going from strength to strength ever since. From direct online downloads to mailing to actual gameshop distribution (all three are now the way they do things, themselves).

Perhaps the various 'serious' space creators could do the same thing, it would allow them to create as they wished and take their sweet time getting it right without big brother getting in the way.

Just a thought.

PS: keep working hard boys, get it right.
Oh My God ! Flashback of flying through ring warp tunnels ! Great Game

On Topic : I haven't played X3 since the 1.3 patch. Waiting patiently for the 1.4 to start a "real game".

Sixhitter
x3

Post by Sixhitter » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 14:36

Why is it so difficult to grasp the concept that there simply isn't new information to give out every couple of days? When there is something new to say, it will be said, but people are not going to post "nothing new to report" every day, partly because it is a waste of time and partly because no-one appears to believe it when it is posted.

Sixhitter wrote:
How about trying some info for a week and see who is right.

Well now you've got all the information. That is the status and, if you read BurnIt!'s post carefully you will be able to work out that it is likely to stay that way until the particular issue is solved whereupon there will be another announcement saying that the patch is ready. If the situation changes then there will be another post. If there is no post then you know that there is no change.
Listen CBJ No where have I asked for a daily report which would obviously not produce anything. All Burnits info was on the German forum whilst here we were still being told 'NO NEW INFO'.

I have not read any reply thats disbelieving of burnits post so I dont see where that came from.

Yes we now have the info available, thankyou, but it has been like pulling teeth

Fingoniel
x3tc

Post by Fingoniel » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 14:46

Can I suggest a repost of Burnit's comments in its own thread? bit hard to find way down :)

98% .... them's good odds - think I'll give the beta patch a try :) and if it screws all my save games I'll just restart as a pirate.

hola_adios
x3tc

Post by hola_adios » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 15:46

Fingoniel wrote:Can I suggest a repost of Burnit's comments in its own thread? bit hard to find way down :)

98% .... them's good odds - think I'll give the beta patch a try :) and if it screws all my save games I'll just restart as a pirate.
Agree, took me 5 mins to find the post.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 6. Mar 06, 15:57

I've edited it into the first post of the thread instead :)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”