Update 1.3 for X³ is now available for download

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

beastm0de
x3

Post by beastm0de » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 19:56

I bought X3 last Friday, and much to the chargrin of my wife, have been glued to it since. I did patch the game to 1.3 before playing, and through approx 20 hours of gameplay have had only 1 crash to desktop, and that was during a savegame load.

Having read a better part of this thread, I just don't understand what the problem is. I certainly hope that I don't start experiencing any of the issues that others have reported.

I will say that the mouse tracking is way sluggish, but once you get to know the menus and hotkeys, it is easily overlooked.

This is my first experience with any of the X series, but i gotta say it's been a really good one so far. I can count on one hand as many games that I have gotten so immersed right away as this. I picked this title up on a whim, after a slight suggestion from a friend, and I am glad I did.
Now for wrath! Now for ruin! and a red nightfall!
-Theoden, son of Thengel

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 15:58

I feel like a cheater when I am letting all you doing beta testing until I buy the game.

Many problems in games are issues in the mass of installations and window system programs and what not that runs or will run in the backround as you play the game (or any other program for that matter).

One solution is to go for a multiple OS system. My game OS is an stripped down XP installation (you might try XP-lite or a smaller installer).

My game XP takes up 50meg in resident memory and something like 200meg in HD (forgot exact number, but its whats in memory thats really interesting).

I've got no network, no antivirus or firewall (don't need it without network or internet), no strange codecs for watching films and the list goes on. All I do is install games on this OS and they fly!

Then I got two others one of wich I am connected to the internet and do all "mundane" stuff in - and even though it's pretty clean it is not as fast as the gameOS so it does make a diffrence.

I think Egosoft are thankfull that they got such devoted followers and you are worth an eloge for staying in there patch after patch.

And thank you Egosoft for still working on patches and not just letting the game die after release.

It's not only waiting for patch 1.4 that I am nto yet owning the game, I'm broke and I really want to install watercooling before playing this one.

But think about getting a dedicated games OS if you not allready have one.

Cheers.

8_bit
x3tc

Post by 8_bit » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 17:47

1) Makes perfect sense, I run XP Pro x64 for my games and XP Media Center Edition for everything else. X3 is about as well behaved as any other game on my system.

2) Nice to see a positive note about the whole patching thing.
Locksley wrote:It's not only waiting for patch 1.4 that I am nto yet owning the game, I'm broke and I really want to install watercooling before playing this one.
You could get the game and start playing now - I presume you mean you want to overclock your machine, hence the watercooling. You'd have a good idea of the result of your overclock if you have experience of running the game without it first!

Reptilian1
x3

Pros and cons 1.3 update

Post by Reptilian1 » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 12:07

Well i now have 1.3 running seemingly OK on my PC but i must admit

it is more prone to lockups and the screen going blank than my 1.2

but i am now getting a few missions and there seem to be more

Xenon/pirates flying around to shoot in my Hydra and a fleet of M3's so i must admit it overall its not bad

The M6 ships seem to be the best mixture to me 3 125mw shields 125 speed.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 12:48

I didn't have any lockups at all until the 1.3 patch, when i started getting them at a rate of one every hour after a while. Fortunately the 1.3.2 beta cures them, so the eventual 1.4 patch seems likely to do the same

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:25

!.3 caused me problems, but only with the verse becoming more dangerous. Lockups haven't happened.

Once I sorted the problem of increased risk by putting patrols *everywhere*, everything got easy again.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Godalmighty83
x3

Post by Godalmighty83 » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:43

i seem to be suffering more in 1.3 from being unable to find weapons then when i was playing in 1.0. currently iam having to buy ships in order to pull their shields and weapons from them then sell the ship off.

but 1.3 has been a bit more stable for me then the crash fest that was 1.0, the disk has no idea how lucky it is to still be in 1 piece.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:53

Godalmighty83 wrote:i seem to be suffering more in 1.3 from being unable to find weapons then when i was playing in 1.0. currently iam having to buy ships in order to pull their shields and weapons from them then sell the ship off.

but 1.3 has been a bit more stable for me then the crash fest that was 1.0, the disk has no idea how lucky it is to still be in 1 piece.
The simplet solution for this is to start building your own. They are *seriously* profitable goods though.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

UnholyGenoc1de
x3

Post by UnholyGenoc1de » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 18:58

i bought 1.3 in the store when i got the game.....havent had any problems....though i never had 1.2 so i cant compare

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”