Guide to Corvettes...Combat. [X3 Guide]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Star_Raider15
x3

Post by Star_Raider15 » Sun, 22. Oct 06, 12:26

the dragon is a good ship but i found it difficult to kill M4's and M5's
however the dragon is unbeatable when it comes to capital ship killing :twisted: , 4 APPC in front and the enemy M2/M1 is toast
The answer is just another question.

somalezulus

Post by somalezulus » Tue, 13. Nov 07, 03:05

My way of killing ANYTHING in a Centaur:

- Biggest HEPTs it can accomodate on all the turrets and main (missile defence will only attack the enemies that had allready succesfully hit you and ignore the best targets)
- JumpDrive

Head on for the biggest enemy and deplete your front cannons' energy. Unless it's a M1/M2 that means it is fireworks before you are depleted. If you made him shine all over the place and you still have some energy left, take the next target and do the same. As soon as the energy is depleted or when you think your shields will deplete in less then 15 seconds (which ever come first), use the JumpDrive. Of course you will look on the sector map before starting the fight, because there will be no time for this later. When jumping, jump in the same sector through the gate that is the furthest from the battle, and then go full speed in the general direction of where the battle was. While you fly towards that area again, your shields and weapons recharge.
Enemies that had a well-thoughtformation of complementary ships and were hard to crack now will jump at you at full speed, presenting themselfes in the order of their maximum speed as individual targets, one after the other. First you will encounter the fastest (weakest), and then the toughest. Again, if something looks like depleting, jump to the furthest gate from the place you were when jumping, but in the same sector. All enemies will form a new row heading to your new position and will wait to be toasted in order, like disciplined soldiers that they are.

P.S. Dodging helps preserving your shields, but makes you miss your target and takes you from ramming a weakened adversary in to a dog-fight in wich what matters most is your lack of maneuvrability. It is better to take 10-20% shield damage and destroy a Nova then dancing around with a Nova slowly eating your shields while your turrets miss her every time and your ship turns to slow to ever give you a clear shot with the main cannons.

A centaus is not an assasin, but a bull. Hit with it straight, and if you don't kill everyone from the first pass, jump and pass again.

Exception: A Khaak cluster will allmost die itself because of your turrets, once you take out the K Fighter. It doesn't need a second run.
Ender of the Xennons, loosing fleet after fleet against the Khaak.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 13. Nov 07, 12:07

Hi there,

I think this is a good guide - thanks. I was so pleased when I could afford my first Centaur in X2 after seeing them on the back of the box and in-game. The prospect of the auto-aiming turrets I wanted in Frontier: Elite II was amazing. I was very disappointed when they were nerffed in X3 largely by the massive increase in the number of main weapons.

However, I think it's a shame that IMO a good pilot in a fast M3 can attack groups of enemy fighters more easily than a good pilot in an M6 as they effectively muster the same firepower and get hit much less. I know BHEPT and APPC are more powerful than AHEPT but their aim is poor rather rather than perfect like all smaller weapons. I wish M3s had less main gun emplacements that M6s...

...sorry for the rant :cry:

Sparky

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Tue, 13. Nov 07, 12:16

I like the hydra best because the bpbe's solve all my m4 and m5 problems :D And bhepts kills the rest. Not as good verse the cap ships as a dragon. but a hydra imo performs the best m6 as a personal ship for the majority of X3 combat situations. The centaur seems to perform teh best in is ai combat. but thats a little off topic.

JoeVN09
x4

Post by JoeVN09 » Tue, 13. Nov 07, 18:50

Great guide,
I've recently been practising with the Nemesis, as it's a good, all-round corvette. Any opinions on this?

jakusnikola

Post by jakusnikola » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 14:32

i have nemesis for some time now i installed in it aditional handling tuninngs (by some bbs script, but i think they are fair and dont unbalance the game or cheat, because they cost much and often damage your ship) whitch i paid almoust 10 milion for 2, 2.5 % ...but 2 % of handling is all the nemesis needs...now it can keep M3 in a target lock whole of the time....and beta HEPTs get the job done...with smaller fighters M4 , M5 i use gamma shockwave weapon (when there are no allies around) or (when they are ) avoid them...
I found myself often using ramming tactic...
I fire a couple of shots into the fighter to destroy his shields and then hit him at the highest speed possible with the bottom part of my ship (strafing downwards and slowly turning the nose upwards) ...damage on my shields is not so high and that gets the job done... especialy with M4s or M5s ...
M5 i dont even have the chance to hit with that slow weapons , so as they speed towards me i try to hit them wit the ship...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 18:29

This thread is more than a year old...please pay attention to the dates when posting.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”