Will developers create racial differences in AI?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sxh1998

Will developers create racial differences in AI?

Post by sxh1998 » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 11:28

I really like how different races of ships in X4 have different styles.But it seems that the AI performance of different races is the same. This has led to some issues. For example, ZYA's ship performed poorly due to its fragile shield.

Will Egosoft adjust AI for different races in the future to allow ships of different races to fully utilize their abilities? :roll:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Will developers create racial differences in AI?

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 13:16

At first reading I thought that you were arguing against yourself in liking racial differences in equipment and ship performance yet complaining that the Split go for firepower and speed at the expense of shielding (as per their lore as a fearless/reckless warrior race).

Having read it again, what you are saying is that there are already racial differences in equipment and ship performance but, in AI hands, these differences are not fully recognised and so similar size/role ships from different races may use the same AI tactics regardless of their inherent performance differences. I think that is perhaps a limitation of the game engine whereby AI tactics could not easily be coded for many variations of ship capabilities/races and also to keep gaming system load under some control.

One example where this does actually happen is with Xenon capitals that usually try to get above their target/victim/attacker because more of their turrets are looking downwards than upwards or forwards, and they have no fixed forward battery.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 15:21

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 24, 13:16
One example where this does actually happen is with Xenon capitals that usually try to get above their target/victim/attacker because more of their turrets are looking downwards than upwards or forwards, and they have no fixed forward battery.
ARG carrier Colossus will try to move to the top of its targets too.
It is very common behavior for carriers.

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 22:33

This post seems relevant.

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=429148&p=4971597& ... r#p4971597
The following data shows that the behaviour of pilots depends on their race as well as some moves requiring a minimum skill level.

sxh1998

Post by sxh1998 » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 06:59

gorgofdoom wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 24, 22:33
This post seems relevant.

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=429148&p=4971597& ... r#p4971597
The following data shows that the behaviour of pilots depends on their race as well as some moves requiring a minimum skill level.
I don't know much about programming, but I can see that there are differences in the behavior of different races in the data. I'm glad the developers have considered these.

Return to “X4: Foundations”